cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alarm System

BigGuy82
Explorer
Explorer
Taking delivery of a new 2016 Itasca Solei 38R pusher late May/early June. I want to install an effective alarm system (GPS tracker, IR interior sensors, magnetic triggers on doors/windows, ignition disable, etc.). In short, an effective system, not one that just makes a lot of noise.

Anyone have any suggestions on suppliers and systems?

Thanks!
Vietnam Veteran
2016 Itasca Solei 38R (To Be Delivered 6/1/15
2014 Honda Gold Wing
2003 50th Anniversary Corvette convertible
16 REPLIES 16

Gator48
Explorer
Explorer
We are using SimpliSafe in our home, and thinking of using it in the coach. The new model can call your phone and the alarm co. or just your phone alone. Relatively inexpensive all wireless Cell connection through Verizon for like $15.00 a month.
Simplisafe

Dave

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I believe that you can buy the GM OnStar FMV system to install on any vehicle. I think that it includes GPS tracking as well as certain alarm capabilities. A lot depends on if you have shore power available as well as some way to connect to wireless internet.
When my coach is stored at my house, it is hooked up to shore power and my in house wireless router is sufficient to cover my motor home. If I wanted to install the same system as used in my house, it could set off an alarm bell, capture video, and send me an email that something is going on.
I only use my residential alarm when we are gone and do not worry about alarming my RV although I do have permanent security cameras that record all activity around the RV and the house 24/7.

The problem with GM OnStar is they have to be the ones doing the GPS tracking of your vehicle. I have heard of stories where it is very difficult to get their cooperation at times and these stories have come from law enforcement. Not to mention OnStar is not all that cheap either. If you put your own GPS tracking system in, then you can track the vehicle live from your own cell phone instantly.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

TomB_
Explorer
Explorer
Apply a battery disconnect switch to the vehicle battery, & then get a lojack unit. If a perp figures out how to start your unit, just report it to the police & call lojack & your coach will direct the police to come to it... Had one on my HD Tri Glide & I rested much easier with it protecting my trike. :W

BigGuy82
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
If your storing/parking it where it needs an alarm, I'd be looking for a new spot. We don't have an alarm on our home but have a yard sign and stickers on our doors and windows. Two years ago both of my neighbors were broken into but not us. Can only think it was my stickers. Now we have two large dogs as back up.

Buy good insuarne because a good theif will still get what they want.

Thanks for your thoughts. I hear you, but they have robberies in Beverly Hills too, so location isn't necessarily the sole consideration. Regarding home alarms, I agree - I have signs out also and I have an alarm system, which has been triggered twice in 30 years - each time by a stupid criminal who either couldn't read or thought the signs were a tease. Each time, the external siren scared them off before the cops got there, which was disappointing but I figure at least i wasn't robbed or worse.

My second line of defense is a smooth trigger pull. However, I prefer to never have to use that, hence the siren.
Vietnam Veteran
2014 Honda Gold Wing

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
Alarm systems are a constant battery drain. I suggest being hooked up to an electrical outlet while in storage.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I believe that you can buy the GM OnStar FMV system to install on any vehicle. I think that it includes GPS tracking as well as certain alarm capabilities. A lot depends on if you have shore power available as well as some way to connect to wireless internet.
When my coach is stored at my house, it is hooked up to shore power and my in house wireless router is sufficient to cover my motor home. If I wanted to install the same system as used in my house, it could set off an alarm bell, capture video, and send me an email that something is going on.
I only use my residential alarm when we are gone and do not worry about alarming my RV although I do have permanent security cameras that record all activity around the RV and the house 24/7.

BigGuy82
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I have heard an auto car alarm go off many times in parking lots an other gathering places. It seems no one including my self will even look up when one goes off...

I imagine the same will go for the RV ALARM. The camp ground will probably ask you to leave for disturbing other campers...

Maybe the noise will drive away the intruder or maybe not... We would hear auto alarms go off all the time when at a fireworks display on the 4th of July...

In the RV CASE perhaps this will happen when parked at a camp ground or Parking lot somewhere and no one around. Who is going to show up to help...

Just like having lights come on when the motion detectors detects movement. You will probably find a note left by the intruder saying "Thanks for the added lights - helped alot"

To me localized ALARMS may not be much help for the cost involved... Silent alarms would be the way I would go. The downside to this is the false alarms - be prepared to pay the POLICE for their services if they are involved...

Just some thoughts here.

Roy Ken

I hear you on all of the above but your last point about silent alarms is the one that I have been focusing on during my search -

I don't like to let criminals just be criminals - I like to catch them. Years ago, while stationed at Ft Bragg, my apartment was robbed. The Fayetteville cops did nothing but they did let me rummage through pawn shop receipts stored in shoe boxes. Long story short - I found one receipt, which led to the arrest of two thieves who first were tried in civilian court and then in military court. Also, I'm looking for a silent alarm that will provide video evidence and I found a system that will capture the crook on video and transmit the image real time via cell phone to my cell number. Looks like effective coverage and I'll post the info here once I get final pricing and info from the manufacturer. In other words, while the crook is writing me that note when the lights come on, he can smile when the cops arrive.

Even professional low life get caught very day and I don't like being a victim.

Thanks for your thoughts - all valid.
Vietnam Veteran
2014 Honda Gold Wing

BigGuy82
Explorer
Explorer
chuckftboy wrote:
Alarms are great but I think its just as important to be a good shot incase the noise doesn't scare them away. LoL!!

I've got that one covered ...
Vietnam Veteran
2014 Honda Gold Wing

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
ed6713 wrote:
BigGuy82 wrote:
. In short, an effective system, not one that just makes a lot of noise.

Thanks!

I have a 70# dog with really big teeth.
Has provided security for us for the last 11 years.
Zero up front cost. Reasonable monthly expense.

🙂

Enjoy your beautiful new rig.

X2

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have heard an auto car alarm go off many times in parking lots an other gathering places. It seems no one including my self will even look up when one goes off...

I imagine the same will go for the RV ALARM. The camp ground will probably ask you to leave for disturbing other campers...

Maybe the noise will drive away the intruder or maybe not... We would hear auto alarms go off all the time when at a fireworks display on the 4th of July...

In the RV CASE perhaps this will happen when parked at a camp ground or Parking lot somewhere and no one around. Who is going to show up to help...

Just like having lights come on when the motion detectors detects movement. You will probably find a note left by the intruder saying "Thanks for the added lights - helped alot"

To me localized ALARMS may not be much help for the cost involved... Silent alarms would be the way I would go. The downside to this is the false alarms - be prepared to pay the POLICE for their services if they are involved...

Just some thoughts here.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
BigGuy82 wrote:
Taking delivery of a new 2016 Itasca Solei 38R pusher late May/early June. I want to install an effective alarm system (GPS tracker, IR interior sensors, magnetic triggers on doors/windows, ignition disable, etc.). In short, an effective system, not one that just makes a lot of noise.

Thanks!

I have never seen a system specifically for motorhomes but I do think they exist. You can install a GPS tracking system fairly easily and they aren't hugely expensive to purchase, but they can be expensive to operate as they generally require a monthly subscription as the transmit their location via the cellular network. I have GPS trackers that I use in my business and they are about $29 a month to keep active. But that includes constant tracking and motion alarms and a lot of features.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
If your storing/parking it where it needs an alarm, I'd be looking for a new spot. We don't have an alarm on our home but have a yard sign and stickers on our doors and windows. Two years ago both of my neighbors were broken into but not us. Can only think it was my stickers. Now we have two large dogs as back up.

Buy good insuarne because a good theif will still get what they want.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad
Get insurance. Idiots will do what idiots do.

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Alarms are great but I think its just as important to be a good shot incase the noise doesn't scare them away. LoL!!
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows