cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aluminum car trailer vs. 4-Down

Camping_Woody
Explorer
Explorer
We have been discussing towing a vehicle behind the MH. The weight and hitch are good to go.

However, I don't know whether going with a 4-down scenario is the right way to go since we will likely get a different car within a year. We don't know what we will go to so we considered a lightweight aluminum trailer that could carry any choice of car we end up making. Plus, it would enable us to take our daughter back to school and drop her and her car off or any other car not prepared for 4-down towing.

What are the pro's and con's to that option. I think 4-down is preferable since we would not have to mess with the trailer, but perhaps would end up costing more money and headache in the long run.

I don't see many used control system/tow bars for sale, so it would be all new regardless.

Thoughts?
11 REPLIES 11

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
We've been RVing for over 30 years with motorhomes and did the tow dolly thing for one season and found it to be a real PITA. Since then we have outfitted 8 cars/SUVs for towing and couldn't be happier. The new Roadmaster tow bar setup on our MKZ is the best yet - - the hookup can easily be done in less than 5 minutes.

If you really need to tow multiple vehicles or only tow occasionally, then maybe a tow dolly or trailer might make sense in your particular situation. As others have said, dealing with a tow dolly or trailer really complicates the towing process vs. towing 4 down. Just my $.02.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

WI
Explorer
Explorer
We've done both & prefer 4 down for our Rubicon.

richms
Explorer
Explorer
We went with a car trailer, load Smart Car and ATV on trailer. No problems yet finding parking area for trailer.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over the years I have found (I THINK) the best solution. Get a REAL car trailer, just a small one. Get a small car (think Toyota Yaris), drive it up, drive it down. Easy peasy. No need for funky control bars, or tow systems. It's just as easy as a trailer.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We already had a trailer that I use to tow antique tractors on. And we only take our car when we go to FL. for the winter.
If you do go with a trailer, also get a weight distribution hitch with sway bars.

Dusty

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
A trailer will have a significantly heavier tongue weight than four down (or a tow dolly). That means significantly more weight on your rear axle, which may well limit what other things you can carry. Often class C hitch installations are limited in their tongue weight specification, as well, due to the frame extensions.

I'd suggest either a tow dolly (if you have a front wheel drive vehicle) or flat towing for that reason, as well as ease of storing things at a campground. Generally tow dollies don't need to be registered, as well, as they're usually not considered trailers legally but rather car towing/carrying equipment.

If you do get a trailer or tow dolly, I'd suggest getting a hitch for your towed vehicle, if it doesn't have one already, in order to more easily tote the trailer or dolly around campgrounds if that's needed. You generally don't have to worry too much about any towing limitations in the vehicle owner's manual for this sort of use; there's a very big difference between pulling an empty trailer at five mph and pulling a laden one at highway speeds, and just about any vehicle will do the former without trouble.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
We weighed the same things, tow 4 wheels down or trailer or dolly. We decided to go 4 down with a nice car. Since we figured we might only tow 3-4000 miles a year and the rest of the time we would be driving the car we went with the 2015 Cadillac SRX. Added a good braking system and figured we would spend close to 4 grand for the hitches, lights and braking with labor. Very glad we went this way.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unless you are pushing your max weight why a aluminum trailer for twice what a steel one costs??? Biggest advantage of a trailer is you can back it up but storing it at a CG can be a problem. Buy a used trailer and then when you get a different car decide if you you still like using a trailer.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

TheLuvShack
Explorer
Explorer
I just went thru this very decision process. I chose 4 down. Cost to set up about $4000. All work done by the a dealer. Cost of aluminum trailer, $5000-$7500. You can back up a trailer. Can't back up 4 down. Hooking up the trailer, loading the trailer and tying down the wheels is time consuming. Where do you store the trailer at the campground? Hooking up 4 down is maybe a 10 minute process. Simple and easy. I use Blue Ox and an M&G braking system. Love it!
"If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy". Red Green

Daryl

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
I use a new Blue Ox tow bar for 4 down and it's great. When parked it just easily stays on the MH and folds up out of the way even if I drive with it on. My son uses a tow dolly and finds it a nuisance and wants to go 4-down. A trailer might be more of a nuisance. However, it costs a lot to set up the car for towing and the tow bar also cost a lot.
Jayco-noslide

Travelin2
Explorer
Explorer
I did the load -on-the-trailer detail for one season. What a headache. Always the issue of where to park the trailer.

We were just vacationing/touring around seeing the country and it was a PITA. If you are just snowbirding and parking in one spot it may be ok but for day-in day-out traveling you will be sorry. MY $.02.
John & Gloria
South West, Florida
2009 Leisure Travel Serenity