cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anchoring a Residential Fridge

Gadget_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I have made the decision to replace my Norcold 1200LRM refrigerator with a residential Samsung RF197. I’ve scoured the internet looking at how other folks have tackled this project. One thing that I haven’t seen is how people have secured/anchored the new fridge in place. Any advice with photos would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Craig
My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...

2005 Providence 39J
2007 Tacoma Double Cab Dingy
Thousand Trails, Coast to Coast, RV Golf Club and Elks Members
14 REPLIES 14

Gator48
Explorer
Explorer
PCM1959 and Craig P

I also added 1/4 inch shims under the rear wheels to level it up. It's almost good to go enough that I am not pulling it out to add more.

I removed the front screw legs and fashioned a "Z shaped bracket that is lag screwed to the plywood floor and then bolted to the brackets that the screw legs were originlly mounted to.

I also re-installed a full width bracket that was fastened to the back top edge of the Norcold with about 10 small screws to the Samsung and it is bolted to a 2 X 4 brace fastened to the side wall of the coach. This keeps the Samsung from tipping. We just returned from a week in the mountains in NC and all held up real well.

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
pcm1959 wrote:
We just got our new Samsung RF197 today. We are not finished with the install. The fridge is in the cabinet space it is going to reside in. I noticed, that even though the floor is level, the unit is high in the front therefore not plumb with the cabinet sides. I thought maybe it was the cabinetry not being symmetrical. However, there is more space under the front of the fridge than the rear. This is with the front feet removed. I don't see any way to raise the rear or lower the front. It seems odd that the fridge does not sit level. Anyone else notice this? Thanks, Phillip

I think most residential refrigerators are made this way. It helps the doors to close due to the weight of the door. When I installed my Haier residential, I just installed wood under the rear rollers until I got the front of the unit vertical (aligned with the cabinet).
Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
We just got our new Samsung RF197 today. We are not finished with the install. The fridge is in the cabinet space it is going to reside in. I noticed, that even though the floor is level, the unit is high in the front therefore not plumb with the cabinet sides. I thought maybe it was the cabinetry not being symmetrical. However, there is more space under the front of the fridge than the rear. This is with the front feet removed. I don't see any way to raise the rear or lower the front. It seems odd that the fridge does not sit level. Anyone else notice this? Thanks, Phillip
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

B_B
Explorer
Explorer
Our fridge is in the slide, so the Samsung would not fit. I used the holes in the fridge for the door hinges to attach our fridge. There are holes in both sides of the fridge where the doors can be reversed, so I have brackets on all 4 corners. Fridge is very solid. I went with a 16 cu. ft. Whirlpool, the height was right and we don't full time, so this fridge was plenty big for us. Haven't been able to post pictures, send me a message & I can email you the pictures.

Gadget_Man
Explorer
Explorer
That helps me a great deal. Thanks Dennis!

Craig

2005 Providence 39J

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is the clicky for my blog:

Samsung Install

Here are some close ups...hope this helps....Dennis

This is one of the leveling legs. I used these legs to level the fridge, shimmed up the wheels, then removed them. The "L" faces forward.

I purchased a Simpson Strong Tie from Home Depot. Bent them accordingly, drilled them using the above leveler as a template and installed it backwards.

I then ran a bolt through the plywood base and secured it with a washer and lock nut.

Probably overkill but for added security, I used a 3" 1/4" lag bolt and washer thru the rear panel and into the plywood base.

Finally, three bungee cords ensure the doors will not open while traveling.
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Gadget_Man
Explorer
Explorer
SAMSUNG RF197 DISCONTINUED

I called around today to check on pricing of the RF197 and was stunned to find that Samsung has discontinued this model. It has been replaced with the Samsung RF217. While the RF217 is the same height and width as the RF197, it is 2 inches deeper, meaning it will stick out of an existing fridge cutout that much more. The newer model is 2 cubic feet larger so it will have more room, but if depth is a concern this may make the Samsung no longer viable for some RV retrofits.

I was able to find a local appliance store that still had the 197 in stock, but I almost waited too long. If you have been thinking of doing the same retrofit, I suggest you don’t wait any longer.

Here is a link to the specs of the RF217.

Craig

2005 Providence 39J

Gadget_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the help and advice. I'm cutting/pasting everyone's ideas into a Word document, to save them for when I start.

Executive wrote:
I posted some pics on my blog...see below....there are several ways to do it....

If you need closeups of how I did it, let me know and I'll shoot a couple pics and post em here......Dennis

Dennis, I couldn't find the photos in your blog. Some closeups would help tremendously!

Thanks!

Craig

2005 Providence 39J

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Helped a fellow volunteer replace his last winter. He secured the residential with strap metal secured to fridge with existing screws and then wood screws to the floor through the existing air vent, one on each side then a block in the front of wheels in front. His was a tight fit top to bottom so rolling in or out was the only concern.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I posted some pics on my blog...see below....there are several ways to do it....

1. Level the fridge using the levelers. Once leveled, remove the levelers and their brackets. I used the brackets as a guide and made longer "L" brackets and drilled them the same as the leveler brackets. I then reversed the brackets and installed them in the same holes. Secured the reversed "L" brackets using lag bolts and I was done. The rear of the Samsung can be accessed through the outside panel and I ran a 3" lag through the rear plate on the fridge through the plywood base....here's another thought...

2. Use a "U" channel secured to the plywood base. Bring the U channel even with the front of the fridge. Leaving the leveler brackets in place, remove the levelers and secure the fridge to the U channel with bolts where the levelers were.

Either way will work. I haven't had a problem with the fridge doors opening but I'm pretty conservative with my driving. If I see a problem, I'll use a bungee through the two top doors and combine it with another through the freezer door....

If you need closeups of how I did it, let me know and I'll shoot a couple pics and post em here......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
Use some metal straps, attach them on the back of the fridge and screw them into the floor from the back in the places you can reach via the exterior. If you don't have an exterior access point then build up wood retention area in the front and top to keep it from falling forward on turns. Obviously secure in other places where possible.
2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
if you have access under where the heater is you can drill and replace the feet with nuts and bolts then in the back use a couple conduit clamps around the back frame.to holdthe door closedi made a swing arm on the non hing front foot and a l bracket i slide in the top use a bungie chord

moonlightrunner
Explorer
Explorer
My friends used rachet straps and eyebolts thru the floor. Where there wasn't room to operate the rachet mechanism, they used a chain (padded the chain with non-slip drawer liner & protected the corners of the appliance box with "L" shaped metal pieces) that looped from an eye bolt thru the floor on one side to an eye bolt thru the floor on the other side. They tightened up the chain from under the floor. They did this a week later to take into account the chain stretching. The appliances haven't moved at all. Pretty good considering they promptly put the bus into an abandoned store parking lot that had a good 12" drop. Downside to the setup they used was that it takes two people (one inside, one outside) to tighten up the tie downs. I was happy to help. Hardest thing was getting back up off the floor! 😄

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
We used 4 lag bolts through the bottom to the subfloor, but even that is, IMO, an accident looking for a place to happen. So, we also added 2 straps from side to side that hold it firmly in place and keep the doors closed while traveling. Very easy to use and when we get to our destination, just tuck them along the side of the fridge and most folks will never notice them.

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today