cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying noise from oven vent

roadrat57
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone had a raddling noise, when on the move, coming from the area near the oven vent? I snapped the outside vent door shut,I reach into outside vent cover to feel for loose parts, I checked inside for the source but still got the noise. The crazy thing is, when I placed a rag inside the outside vent cover to put pressure on vent door (when the door was snapped tight) the noise stopped. I guess I could just keep using the rag but I would really would like to find the source of the noise and fix it.
7 REPLIES 7

sullivanclan
Explorer
Explorer
We noticed the same problem on a recent cross country trip. I tried just using the outside levers on the vent door, but it didn't work, ended up using the famous duct tape. That did it, for now. I might just go to the rag use, easier to take on and off. Looks like it is just a normal vent behind the microwave, not connected to the oven or stove in anyway.
2003 Ford 450 Jayco Greyhawk 25D
1986 Jeep Renegade
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon JK

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on the vent used. Some can be latched down, others are not meant to be latched. I have one of the latter on my range hood, it takes a certain set of wind and pressure conditions to make it rattle, when it happens I just live with it.

If your vent doesn't latch, and the rattle bothers you, you might try taping down the door. That's probably no more trouble than dealing with a vent door that has a latch.

I have no actual experience with an oven vent, the usual RV configuration is to vent all kitchen gases and heat through a filtered, powered vent in a range hood. Instructions for my range say to riun the vent hood whenever using the oven or range top, as both vent inside, as do residential gas ranges, If your oven is separately vented to the outside of the RV, advice may not apply.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Common problem - solutions differ by rig/owner. I just stuff a used wash cloth up into the outside vent cavity - ain't fancy but it works.
Kevin

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
OPPS

pauldub
Explorer
Explorer
I took the range hood out and put some eternabond on the thin sheet metal flapper. It's much quieter now.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It is pressure changes operating the draft baffle. Some have a latch pivot arm on the outside to secure the baffle.
Hard to see. In lower corners is latch.
Range hood vent

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

BendOrLarry
Explorer
Explorer
You will find that when you have a window open while moving down the road, that vent will rattle. When it's properly latched shut it is better but sometimes we still hear a little noise. The next time you hear it close all windows and vents and see if it stops.