cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Annual Cost

twotoes
Explorer
Explorer
I am in the market for a new Class A diesel pusher. I currently am full time in a 5th wheel. My 5th wheel has very little annual maintainance, just the oil and filter on the generator and the anode rod in the water heater. What besides the oil and filter on the diesel motor and the oil and filter on the generator will I expect to have to do annually on a Bus? What can I expect it to cost for my annual maintenance? I have heard somewhere around $600 for the oil and filter change, but what other costs will I expect? I know that the tires will last about 5 to 7 years so I am excluding this item. Thanks in advance for al your input.
8 REPLIES 8

hottubkid
Explorer
Explorer
On my gasser I can get a grease and oil change with the filters on the coach and gen for about $50.00 Pending on which service tech does the job
hottubkid60193@yahoo.com
2004 SOUTHWIND 36E Tow 2003 CRV

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
You need to tell us if you do your own work or pay others to do it before we can accurately give you price estimates.

FWIW, it was Brett that emboldened me to take a wrench to a DP for the first time, a lesson I am grateful for.

Listen to him and follow his advice.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
So far, I have done my own work on our 1998 DP. Yearly cost for maintenance has been about $1500, but that is way beyond the future anticipated. Since we bought the coach three years ago, we have had a lot of "coming due" and "once in a long while" maintenance, including transmission fluid and filters, hydraulic fluid and filters, air dryer, air bag and shock replacement, front suspension bushings, new radio, all batteries, roof paint, etc.

None of the work I have done has been more technical than it would have been on a car. What is different is giant torque specifications, big and heavy parts, and a surprising lack of space for working.

Some things you will need specialized tools - tire replacement, brakes, etc. I will probably hand it over to pros. BTW, use your auxiliary brake. We have about 100K on our coach, and about 1/3 to 1/2 brake shoes left!

When some things break, you can be in for a serious investment. I have read of repairing hydraulic system repairs running not far under $10K due to engineering new parts into old systems.

I saved over $500 on a transmission repair by having cash in hand - be sure to have a resource for cash and/or expensive surprises.

If by new you mean new, you will not have some of these worries. As an observer, I have seen a different issue - a free warranty repair that takes three months, or $500 cash out of your pocket and on the road in a day or two.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Annual maintenance excluding tires on my coach is about $500. SpeedCo does my oil changes, lube, filters and SCA testing. I paid $289.00 for this service in March of this year. They will let you in the pit to watch them work and will also inspect for any "issues" they may see. I found a leaky seal several years ago. Brake pads will last a lifetime, other issues will be regular maintenance that needs to be done at various intervals. I budget the "extra" $200/yr to cover those expenses. Things to carry extra would be extra fuel filters and an extra drive belt.

You didn't ask but know how to drain your air tanks, where your fuel and oil filters are, how to bleed out any water in the fuel system and the correct process to restart after a fuel filter change. All easy processes but often overlooked. You don't want to learn these things while on the shoulder of a Interstate.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't think there would be much difference between a MH and your 5ver maintence. With a 5ver you have to include your PU in your maintence cost not just your generator. In a MH the only additional cost would be a toad.

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
As Brett identified, there is a significant cost difference whether or not you are doing your own work. In addition to engine oil/filter changes, many DP's have two fuel filters, a larger more $$$ air filter and an air dryer canister that needs replacement every few years. Not a big deal, but these are some additional expenses. On the positive side, a DP will most likely require fewer brake pad/shoe replacements than a gasser or your 5er. Good luck.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
You need to tell us if you do your own work or pay others to do it before we can accurately give you price estimates.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Fiesta
Explorer
Explorer
DP maintenance is no harder and less frequent than a car or gas MH . Just larger parts and amounts of fluids. I do my own oil changes for > $100. $225 or more if someone else does it.
Find/ask for a local diesel shop to do PM work if you don't want to do it yourself.