cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Extended Service Contract Question/Extended Warranty

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
If you already have an extended Warranty and add a new device, as an example a new exterior refrigerator and the motor home didn't have it previously. Is it covered by the extended warranty?
24 REPLIES 24

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Good Job...Good Sam
2008 Discovery 40X towing a Jeep Grand Cherokee

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going give credit where credit is due. I posted a message above that I was unhappy with the service I received on a claim for a dealer installed inverter on a new RV we purchased. The dealer installed the inverter prior to delivery. Good Sam denied the claim at the time. However after my post Scott immediately PM'd me and wanted to make it right. I received a call from one of his people they looked into my claim and resolved it. I think that it is a fantastic company that will monitor these forums and then actually take action. Kudos to Scott! You have a happy customer. Thank you!
FMCA member

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
It's great for us to see Scott on here answering questions that some have. It is really apppreciated.
There are several others from other companies that are members and will answer posts,especially if asked. The guy from Winegard is another very helpful one. He wasn't able to actually help me with my Traveller problem, but was still helpful.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
I agree choice is a plus. I have pulled my rig out of preferred shops, but also non preffered shops. I can be pretty picky at times ๐Ÿ™‚

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
Rollnhome wrote:
Musturtz. I totally disagree. Auto perfered providers or warranty pefered providers are both in bed with the insurance companies. If they were costing the insurance companies money or not repairing as per the insurance companies direction they would no longer be a preferred provider. Been their done that. Both shops will warranty their work.
But the choice is each individuals so I see no real problem. What ever makes your boat float.

I have had bad experiences with insurance company preferred shops but generally good experiences with extended warranty preferred shops. However it is very nice to have the choice.
FMCA member

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Musturtz. I totally disagree. Auto perfered providers or warranty pefered providers are both in bed with the insurance companies. If they were costing the insurance companies money or not repairing as per the insurance companies direction they would no longer be a preferred provider. Been their done that. Both shops will warranty their work.
But the choice is each individuals so I see no real problem. What ever makes your boat float.

Scott_Blanc
Explorer
Explorer
Rollnhome, I understand your reservations about using Preferred Providers, and that is your choice. However, being in bed together has advantages to the customer, and that is why we developed the program. What I was seeing in reviewing claims that resulted in unhappy customers was when the customer took the unit to a shop that refused to deal with us (or any warranty provider), and the customer was left to fend for themselves in getting authorization for repairs and submitting receipts for reimbursement. Or worse, when a claim was denied because we were never contacted by either the customer or the shop until well after the work was done. We also see the customer getting caught between the repair facility and us when they want to charge much more than the going labor rate, or bill hours that are not related to the covered repair. These issues are eliminated when you use a Preferred Provide, because we know we will work these things out between us and the shop. If you have a shop that understands how to process a warranty claim and charges fair and customary rates and stands by their work, by all means continue to use them. If not, we can help you find one that does.
Scott Blanc
Vice President and General Manager
Good Sam Extended Service Plan
sblanc@goodsamfamily.com

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
Rollnhome wrote:
Scott, I understand the Preferred Provider program. My only concert is the GS and the Peferred Provider are in bed together. I fear the Preferred Provider has the goal of maintaining GSs business and keep repair costs low rather than make quality repairs on my vehicle. Whereas my chosen shop is more concerned with my best interest in assuring my vehicle is properly repaired.

Bottom line I feel the Preferred Providers have the insurance companies interest foremost whereas as in independent shop of my choosing has my interest as primary. But that is just my opinion.

I believe that the interest of the customer, extended warranty company and shop are in alignment when you are talking about a mechanical breakdown policy. The reason for this is because if the shop does shoddy workmanship you will go back and demand it be fixed again. Both the extended warranty company and the shop are still on the hook for the bill. This is very different from automotive insurance preferred provider programs, if they put inferior parts that fail quickly or do shoddy work you really have no recourse even though technically there still is a warranty by the shop and by the insurance company. Those insurance companies are not in the business of warranting repairs and replacements they insure vehicles. The preferred provider program for them is simply a cost cutting method. With Good Sam ESP it is different yes they can and do receive discounts especially at Camping World which is the same company but that savings is eventually passed on to customers in reduced premiums for their plans vs. other plans. Bottom line I don't think that it would benefit Good Sam ESP at all to intentionally incent preferred shops to do poor workmanship.
FMCA member

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Scott, I understand the Preferred Provider program. My only concert is the GS and thier Peferred Provider are in bed together. I fear the Preferred Provider has the goal of maintaining GSs business and keep repair costs low rather than making quality repairs on my vehicle. Whereas my chosen shop is more concerned with my best interest in assuring my vehicle is properly repaired and maintaining my business.

Bottom line I feel the Preferred Providers have the insurance companies interest foremost, whereas an independent shop of my choosing has my interest as primary. But that is just my opinion.

Scott_Blanc
Explorer
Explorer
Rollnhome,
msturtz is correct, you are not limited to where you can take your vehicle in for repairs with Good Sam ESP. You will be covered at any reputable repair facility. However, we have created a network of "Preferred Providers", which includes Camping World as well as other repair facilities, such as Aamco for transmission and drive train work and other independent shops. If you call us before you take your vehicle in for covered repairs, we can direct you to the best qualified facility in your area. The advantages of using a Preferred Provider are many. Some, like Camping World and Aamco offer a reduced deductible. All are facilities that have agreed to bill us directly for covered repairs so that you are not out of pocket and waiting for a reimbursement. All stand behind their work, so we know you will have the best quality service. And they understand the process of working with us so delays and poor communication will be eliminated as a source of frustration.

If you have a favorite shop, by all means you can continue to use them, but I highly recommend that you utilize our Preferred Provider network when you need repairs.
Scott Blanc
sblanc@goodsamfamily.com

Bigdog
Explorer
Explorer
The only problem I have with the GS warranty is that my coach with 110K miles on it can't be covered, but Wholesale got me a contract thru Cornerstone.
I have also asked GS not to send me mail soliciting me for that, but I still get it. Was really thinking about GS ESP ,but for the mileage.
GO COUGARS
2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC
330 Cat Turbo Freightliner Chassis
2011 Jeep Liberty(toad)

'88 Mustang 5 Spd 5.0L GT convertible (not Toad)

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
Rollnhome wrote:
Scott whilst you are monitoring this thread I would like to ask. Must one take ones rig to CW for repairs under a GS warranty or can contract holder utilize a shop of thier choosing?

I know the answer to that: you don't. The warranty is honored anywhere at a licensed RV repair facility. That said it is simpler if it is at Camping World.
FMCA member

Rollnhome
Explorer
Explorer
Scott whilst you are monitoring this thread I would like to ask. Must one take ones rig to CW for repairs under a GS warranty or can contract holder utilize a shop of thier choosing?

Scott_Blanc
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed,

Yes. We can apply the cost of the required repairs or replacement in the event the item cannot be repaired to the cost of an upgraded unit, or in this case, a residential refrigerator. Same thing with a satellite system.
Scott Blanc
sblanc@goodsamfamily.com