cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any laws in any State restricting Legnth?

lrash
Explorer
Explorer
Does anybody know if there are any laws in any state that limits length??? In my case I am 61' total.
36 REPLIES 36

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
donfrump wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
You certainly could be right. Was just thinking about those 45' Prevost folks towing their Hummers who kept getting ticketed but maybe it was 65 and not 60. I used to pull an extended Chevy Van with my 40' coach and I was legal but if I was 45 pulling the same toad I would have been over the limit so it must be 65'.

I personally seriously doubt there is a prevost owner ever ticketed
for towing a hummer. why would they be ticketed for?A hummer is not very long when u compare to a pick up super or crew cab etc
did not and will not happen

Well not sure about a Prevost, but I know a RVer that owned a Monaco Signature Series towing a long bed pickup truck and he got a ticketed coming up the Tehachapi mountains in California for being over 65'.
I met him at Pahrump, Nevada at Terribles Lakeside RV park.

Honestly and I mean no disrespect but I just do not believe that( not what you say but what the guy claimed)
I mean I know many many people whom have similar set ups and never in my years of CA towing have I heard of never mind meet someone that was ticketed for such a deal.There must be a story to this ticket deal
Seriously just travel around and see the many many HR,Monacos,beaver, country coach,prevost,newmars,tiffins that are 43-44+ft and tow 20+ ft vehicles
IN FACT I just asked my neighbour after reading your reply and he has a 2009 prevost and a 2010 long box crew cab dodge 3500 4x4 and tows between portland Oregon and south CA and he has never been questioned never mind ticketed and was in disbelief when I mentioned what u claim

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
donfrump wrote:
Bill.Satellite wrote:
You certainly could be right. Was just thinking about those 45' Prevost folks towing their Hummers who kept getting ticketed but maybe it was 65 and not 60. I used to pull an extended Chevy Van with my 40' coach and I was legal but if I was 45 pulling the same toad I would have been over the limit so it must be 65'.

for towing a hummer. why would they be ticketed for?A hummer is not very long when u compare to a pick up super or crew cab etc

Well not sure about a Prevost, but I know a RVer that owned a Monaco Signature Series towing a long bed pickup truck and he got a ticketed coming up the Tehachapi mountains in California for being over 65'.
I met him at Pahrump, Nevada at Terribles Lakeside RV park.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wasn't talking about "double trailers", I specifically said "triple trailers"....three actual trailers behind one truck. Very common in western states.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
mpierce wrote:
RayChez wrote:
lanerd wrote:
I've also seen many motor homes pulling enclosed car trailers that gotta be way over 65' on many CA highways. Have NEVER seen one pulled over by CHP.
Draw your own conclusions.

Ron

My understanding is that if it is registered on another state that allows longer then 65' like the Nascar people, that they can actually come into the state without being stopped. That is what I was told by another RVer. Not sure!

Pretty sure that is wrong. Licenses reciprocate, but equipment laws do not. If any question, CALL the state before hand, otherwise......

I know LOTS of RV'ers get away with being too long. Seldom do the cops bother them. BUT, they can at any time.

In the states surrounding CA, you will see many FedEx, UPS, Walmart, and other trucks pulling three trailers....You will not see those in CA..why...because the CA laws have a length limit that restrict those 3 trailer set ups. Same thing with RVs. However, the CHP seem to overlook the 65' length limit for RVs.

I live out in the desert and every weekend and especially on 3 or 4 day weekends, you will see the off-road people come out in hordes. Many have large 5ers that are also pulling a trailer for their toys or large motor homes with the trailers also. The double towing rigs (5ers plus trailer) are legal with a CDL, but their lengths (being over 65') are not. Yet, you never see one pulled over by the CHP.

Ron

California law allows double trailer commercial trucks up to 75'.
Motor homes 65' total including towed vehicle. Just looked it up on goggle.
2017 Buick Envision

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
mpierce wrote:
RayChez wrote:
lanerd wrote:
I've also seen many motor homes pulling enclosed car trailers that gotta be way over 65' on many CA highways. Have NEVER seen one pulled over by CHP.

Ron

My understanding is that if it is registered on another state that allows longer then 65' like the Nascar people, that they can actually come into the state without being stopped. That is what I was told by another RVer. Not sure!

Pretty sure that is wrong. Licenses reciprocate, but equipment laws do not. If any question, CALL the state before hand, otherwise......

I know LOTS of RV'ers get away with being too long. Seldom do the cops bother them. BUT, they can at any time.

In the states surrounding CA, you will see many FedEx, UPS, Walmart, and other trucks pulling three trailers....You will not see those in CA..why...because the CA laws have a length limit that restrict those 3 trailer set ups. Same thing with RVs. However, the CHP seem to overlook the 65' length limit for RVs.

I live out in the desert and every weekend and especially on 3 or 4 day weekends, you will see the off-road people come out in hordes. Many have large 5ers that are also pulling a trailer for their toys or large motor homes with the trailers also. The double towing rigs (5ers plus trailer) are legal with a CDL, but their lengths (being over 65') are not. Yet, you never see one pulled over by the CHP.

Ron
Ron & Sandie

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
nevadanick wrote:
Fed says no overall length on interstates as well.

Yep, been that way since, I believe, the 70's. That is what caused the switch from cab over trucks, to conventional, long nose tractors.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
RayChez wrote:
lanerd wrote:

Ron

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:

Ron

2017 Buick Envision

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II

Ron
Ron & Sandie

I tow a race car trailer and the DP I use most of the time adds up to 72+ft and the other DP measures 77+ft over all...I have had the long outfit to Pamona CA and never had a problem coming and going on I-10......We are spoiled here in NC as over all length if involved in motorsports is 90ft. That's right, 90ft. Thanks to NASCAR

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
Fed says no overall length on interstates as well.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
http://nevadatrucking.com/Files/Forms/FederalBridgeInstructionsTable.pdf
Only trailer length and trailer combination lengths are regulated, so yes you could 300ft long if you had a long enough tractor.

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
CA also has a 60' combined length limit.

65'
2017 Buick Envision