cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone have a wife who overpacks motorhome?

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
My late wife believed in traveling light including her closet. My wife now jams every drawer and closet full. Mixers, electric oven, groceries (we don't even eat in that much). Now it's emergency rations in the basement. Anyone else have this problem. :h
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
61 REPLIES 61

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
I believe I take a lot of stuff, but then I only have a minivan, not a 40' Class A :). Two weeks worth of clothes and water, nearly that much food, a lot of tools...
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

C-Leigh_Racing
Explorer
Explorer
GHOST1750 wrote:
My late wife believed in traveling light including her closet. My wife now jams every drawer and closet full. Mixers, electric oven, groceries (we don't even eat in that much). Now it's emergency rations in the basement. Anyone else have this problem. :h

Thats only your wife doing that, :R try a wife, a daughter & her two kids, that what I deal with. One whole rear compartment is devoted to the kids toys.
Only space I have, is a tiny closet beside our bed & the drivers seat & then ALL the wonderous dutys to keep everything rolling.
Neil

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I take so much stuff that anyone else overpacking is impossible
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
my FIL law wanted to know if they forgot any thing. My dear MIL said if they did I would have it in my TT. So yes I do pack heavy, Justin Case rides with me.

I like that, never heard it before. I told my wife and she said Justin Case was her late husbands radio name. :C
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
My DW believes every surface must have something on it to the extent there is no empty space. Every cabinet must be packed full which of course keeps things from sliding. We could be a supply depot for the Red Cross to include food, water, clothes, medications, and blankets. This includes both the house and the mh.

Does your wife have a twin ? :W
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

et2
Explorer
Explorer
Other than clothes and pets and electronics thats it. Everytime all the time. Shopping is done once reaching our destination - only for things we need. Not much brought back home. Much time is spent eating out.

Laundry is done in the MH on long trips so it doesn't need being done when we get home. This way we can pack lighter with the clothes also.

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
All of the above,......and then some.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
hanko wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
I had that problem with relatives traveling on trips.

When the relatives started bringing piles and piles of stuff I would make them weigh it. Whatever their stuff weighed meant that amount of weight had to come 'out' of the MH 'before' any more of their stuff came in.
Caused a few arguments between them over who's stuff was more important. But I was not part of the equation they had to figure it out themselves and I had a clutter free MH. And my coach was not overweight with a bunch of unnecessary stuff.

you took relatives?

No motor home is big enough for more than two people.:p
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
Dale.Traveling wrote:
Your wife helps pack the coach?

This one does, I did for the other wife, I enjoyed doing it for her because of her health condition. She was a great travel companion.
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
my FIL law wanted to know if they forgot any thing. My dear MIL said if they did I would have it in my TT. So yes I do pack heavy, Justin Case rides with me.

Bucky1320
Explorer
Explorer
I consider the basement the man's world. Utilities. The things that without, the world ceases to function properly. Food is important too, and that's why we give women the kitchen.:) Kidding....a little. Don't let her encroach into your space. It's bad enough you need to store chairs for her to sit on down there. Grow a set man! LOL. OK. Now kidding for real!
We do divide labor, and to some extent space as well. I make sure the beast will arrive at it's destination, and she lets us get there fed and comfortable and probably smelling decent. I have all utilities, and she the creature comforts. Oh, and the boy and I get the race cars ready too.
1999 Harney Renegade
Mostly used for overnights at the drag strip.

Rainier
Explorer
Explorer
You all better hope your wives aren't reading this forum:)

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
My DW believes every surface must have something on it to the extent there is no empty space. Every cabinet must be packed full which of course keeps things from sliding. We could be a supply depot for the Red Cross to include food, water, clothes, medications, and blankets. This includes both the house and the mh.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your wife helps pack the coach?
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Filling empty space is almost an instinct. Try making a few false walls/floors in the storage cabinets, then let her fill the space left. ๐Ÿ™‚

Seriously, establish a rule that if it hasn't been used in a year, it goes. Then hold to it. And remind her that an accident from an overweight RV is far more likely than the zombie apocalypse.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)