cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone make a mistake buying first MH ?

Dollar98
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious.. No matter how much research you do , it seems there is no substitute for owning and using a MH.. Anyone buy one and then realize you made a mistake on the first one.. If so, how did you rectify it. I haven't felt this way yet and hope I don't.. With all that is involved, I could see it happening.. I believe the best advice I got was to buy an older one and then see what you really want by trial and error..
507 REPLIES 507

HiTech
Explorer
Explorer
Our first MH was in the mid 90's - we bought a 70's Champion Class A on a Dodge M400 chassis I think - 1974 model year or so. Way underpowered. Discontinued rotors. Leaking tranny. We had rented an A and a C before, as well as had a pop up. In a way it was a mistake - did not realize how hard some old MH parts are to find.

But it cost only $1500 I paid like $600 for a pair of highway robber rotors. Recarpeted it. Drove only within a few hundred miles of home, and put it in a cheap campground for one summer. Lots of fun. Had to top off the tranny before each trip, though!

It convinced us we wanted the extra sleeping space of a C. Once the kids grow up, we'll get another A.

-Jim

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
You mean a few THOUSAND, don't you?

>>Didn't listen and it cost a few extra dollars to upgrade.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

mamcall
Explorer
Explorer
I don't consider that our first MH was a mistake altho we only kept it for 1 1/2 years. We had done absolutely no research on m/h's , we had owned TT's for 20 years. The first MH was a little new 23' class c that we saw advertised for a price we could afford. It was fine until we saw another new 26' class c that had a permanent double bed instead of a 'davenport'. We started going to shows and decided that class A was the way to go with a bed that you could walk around enabling me to change the sheets etc much easier.Also basement storage made sense. So 2 years later, after considerable research and narrowing it down to a 32' Winnebago Chieftain and a 32' Pace Arrow, we bought the Pace Arrow because we got a better deal.(the Winnebago dealer called 2 hours too late with a better price) We kept the 1990 Pace Arrow because we didn't see one we liked better until 1998. Then we found our current 34' Pace Arrow which has excellent storage and tank capacities and just about all the bells and whistles including Electronic Climate Control which allows us to run 2 air conditioners on 30 amp service, among other things. It probably will be our last MH so am looking forward to having it for a long time. So, to sum it up- our first MH wasn't a mistake, it was a stepping stone- just like the tent we started out with in 1967.
Marg and Joe
1998 Pace Arrow 34J
Neon toad,
3 Schnauzers Baron, Steffi and Granddog Gunny

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don,

If you really love that unit as much as you indicate, have you considered installing the Banks or similar exhaust system instead? We bought a 36S Bounder that is heavy and underpowered, and installation of the Banks, although pricey, considerably lowered the number of annoying downshifts, even here in the hills of VA towing a 3500lb vehicle.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Unstuck
Explorer
Explorer
Although we did almost six months research and shopping (in a limited RV market) and were able to pay cash for our MH, I now have experienced RV envy, having seen a number of 45 footers (Prevost) I wished I could have saved for a Prevost; but then I would be on a different forum.
Stuck for 15 years--now Unstuck
Winnebago Journey DL 2002, 36' LD
[lots of stuff in the middle], DataStorm

http://raffinorgangrind.textamerica.com/

Ipanema
Explorer
Explorer
Well now, that's hard to say. When we bought our MH, I was warry only about one thing. Sufficient CCC. As it turns out, we have to watch our weight. Since my wife will not reduce the number of shoes she takes with her, I am going on a diet. 🙂 🙂 🙂
Did I say that I have never made a mistake since I got married?:D 😄 😄

Ed and Lilian

Penn State Class of 1956

jackie
Explorer
Explorer
We did it the right way, or at least we feel like we did. My wife and I started out 3 years ago in a 30 ft. Southwind Storm. We put over 25,000 miles on it in two years and decided we really wanted a Motorhome for good. Two months ago we purchased a great 38' 2000 Monaco Diplomat DP from Holiday World in Houston. I love it. My wife loves it, and Chelsy, our Dachund Hound loves it. I use it mostly to go to Benchrest Shooting Matches all over the South. It is the only way to travel and camp....jackie

guitarman
Explorer
Explorer
We didn't really realize we made a mistake until we purchased our current MH and now wonder why we didn't start this way. We previously had 2 5vers and never realized how much better a MH fit our lifestyle.
Mike and Christine Villano
2008 Toyota Tundra
2013 Palomino SolAire Eclipse 297RLDS
Sheltie, Charlotte
Daschund, Dapple

ghostrek
Explorer
Explorer
I not sure it was a mistake. The first Class A we purchased was a 1994 Winnebago Adventurer 34RQ Ford gas with no slides or jacks. The price was right. The heat and noise from the motor were a little annoying. We had it for a year as a test. Owning and using this coach helped us to determine what we needed and wanted.

We purchased a 2002 HR Neptune 32PBD last month with double slides, jacks and DP. This one fits the bill for us now. In a few years who knows. We may have another bill to fill at that time.

*This Message was edited on 25-Apr-02 08:22 AM by REK*

Rob & Bert

Mocha Latte, 5 (Chocolate & White Roan Cocker Spaniel)
Freckles, 4 (Red & White Cocker Spaniel)
Wolfie, 3 (Chocolate Merle Cocker Spaniel)

2002 HR Neptune 32PBD
2002 or 2005 Jeep Liberty Toads
Blue OX & Brake Buddy

Trektiger
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our first Class A (1997 Safari Trek) a year ago last March after thinking about buying one for a year. The Trek ideally fit our buget, and home storage space. Todate, we have been totally pleased with the purchase. The biggest concern I had--"Would we use the coach enough to justify the purchase and would it be liveable?" Over the 13 months we were able to get out three times. Six thousands miles and four months later I can say we made the right purchase for us.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
I have found that boats and motorhomes have the same thing in common. The next one will be 2-3 feet longer. If you enjoy the first one with it's minor inconveniences who cares. It isn't a mistake, it's a learning experience where you are having fun while learning. Enjoy whatever you get until you trade for the next one.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

wayhamm
Explorer
Explorer
Didn't do enough research and bought an older DP with an engine that was too small (190hp), 4 speed Allison and no auxillary brakes. It appeared to be in really good condition- including a new paint job, but I also discovered it had a delamination problem. I was able to trade it after only 8 months of ownership for a DP I am very pleased with.
1999 Bluebird Wanderlodge LX
Cummins M11 450hp/Allison 6 spd
2005 Honda Pilot Toad

Norm_F
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, bought a 1988 Pace Arrow. Two delaminations later, along with absolutely poor or no quality control, I sold it and bought a Holiday Rambler Endeavor ---- what a difference!
98 HR Endeavor 36' Gas
96 Saturn Toad

Burfman
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if I have made a mistake or not as we will take possession on Friday of our first M/H, a '99 CC Allure 36' single slide. I have looked for over 3 1/2 years and moved up and down from a 32' to a 40' and finally bought the 36'. This one has a good floor plan that should work well for my wife and I. Picked up a ton of information from this forum that without it I could not have made the informed decision I did. We will part time now and full time in about 3 years (retirement). I will give you a follow-up after the shakedown cruise to Mexico for "Cinco da Mayo".

Bill & CJ
Bill & CJ
'99 CC Allure
Enjoying it while we can!

me_be_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
YES BOUGHT A FLEETWOOD !!
2002 26ss Greyhawk class C Jayco,2002 Ford V10 E450,Bilstian shocks,2000 amp Heart inverter/converter,Voyager night vue rear camera,ipd anti sway bars front and rear,