cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone repaired a cracked AC shroud?

tmmar
Explorer
Explorer
The shroud on my roof air conditioner is cracked. I was wondering if anyone had the same problem and repaired theirs. If so, how did you repair it? I was thinking of something like Gorilla tape (a kind of duct tape). Has anyone used that to make the repair?

Thanks.
2014 40' Forest River Berkshire DP Bunkhouse
26 REPLIES 26

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replace it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

tarnold
Explorer
Explorer
I used a thin piece of flat aluminum plate about two inches wider than the crack was long and used white pop rivets. ( the plate goes on the inside.) You can't see the white rivet heads from the ground.

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
They are $75-110ish on PPL. Why not keep your nice motorhome looking nice?
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
Sloop Smitten wrote:
When I cracked mine I taped it form the inside with some eternabond tape I had left over from a roof job. Worked well.

Eternabond worked fine for us too.

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link to a post about someone who used plastic model glue from Hobby Lobby.

model glue
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

tmmar
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all who replied. Lots of good fixes suggested.
Thanks again,
Tom
2014 40' Forest River Berkshire DP Bunkhouse

havasu
Explorer
Explorer
I was resealing both of my units this last weekend with new foam, and cleaning the 'radiators' ready for the heat of summer.

I noticed that my rear cover had a crack so I just cleaned it inside and out with lacquer cleaner and then used the aluminum HVAC duct sealing tape that I was using to reseal the AC on the inside and outside - seems to hold pretty well.

Replacement shrouds seem to be pricey and as long as the rest of the shroud is intact and not crumbling, a quick repair seems to be fine.

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I use fibreglass w/cloth and spray paint w/white (on inside). Works great and saves $125 for a new one!!!!
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

camperkids1025
Explorer
Explorer
OnaQuest wrote:
Eternabond or Gorilla tape will do the job. Just remember that the reason it's cracked is that the sun's UV rays has made it very brittle and it will have to be replaced in the future.
I think it's time to replace it for safety sake,don't want it breaking apart going down the road.Don't ask how I know about trying a repair job. :SAfter time they get as brittle as glass.
The Camperkids Jim & Lois
3 Grandkids Maria, Christian, Antony (part timers)
1999 Newmar Mountain Aire 37.5ft, Ford V-10, F-53 Chassis, Bilsteins Shocks W/ Bilstein Steering Stablizer, HWH Levelers

Harveyj
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous MH's ac shroud was getting brittle from sun exposure. I ordered a replacement from PPL...inexpensive, fast delivery and a perfect fit. Once the plastic starts getting brittle, more and more cracks will start appearing.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
Several years ago we had 3 feat of snow on the roof of the MH. Either the weight of the snow or me with the shovel caused the return flanges of the covers to crack in the back. The front had a triangle piece cracked out. I sanded, wiped with acetone, and bonded a plastic reinforcement on the back side of the cover with shoe goo. The overlap of the bonded reinforcement was a bout 2 ins on either side of the crack. I clamped it overnight and is holding well 3 years later. The fix took lest that an hr. To prevent further cracking I go south for the winter.

Telemarc
Explorer
Explorer
I used 3m 5200 to repair the spot I cracked on mine when I accidentally put my hand down. Works fine. Nobody sees it anyway.
Sold the house, time to see the world.

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
I repaired mine with fiberglass matting and bondo from both sides, shaped it to look correctly and then painted it with white paint, 5 years later, it still doesn't look like it was ever broken. Mine was not cracked, there was a 2 inch hole in it.

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
fcooper wrote:
A limb fell on mine. Eternabond has been holding up well for a couple of years now.
Fred
X2
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s