cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone Using Amsoil Propylene Glycol Coolant In Their Diesel

unkledaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Both I and my wallet are tired of changing the propylene glycol coolant in my Cummins ISC350 every two years, as well as adding a DCA when needed.

I saw this online and wondered if anyone on this forum is using it as it has a 7 year/750,000 mile extended service life. I know Amsoil products are of superior quality, but this one is new to me.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/antifreeze/antifreeze-and-engine-coolant/?Group...

For those who may suggest it.......I do not want to run an OAT coolant.
Ya'll be safe out there!
Pete & Sue
22 REPLIES 22

unkledaddy
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
OAT coolants used to have that corrosion problem. BUT they all have been reformulated and Cummins does approve. BTW: That Amsoil c--p does NOT meet Cummins or any other diesel mfr. specs. It is NOT approved.

Moisheh

It says it meets Cummins CES 14603.
Ya'll be safe out there!
Pete & Sue

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
Blaster Man wrote:
Basically, the green/blue is old, red/orange is new. I use Peak Final Charge Global Extended Life...it meets Cummins 14603 standards.

You should not go by color alone as it doesn't mean a thing.

RedG
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
OAT coolants used to have that corrosion problem. BUT they all have been reformulated and Cummins does approve. BTW: That Amsoil c--p does NOT meet Cummins or any other diesel mfr. specs. It is NOT approved.

Moisheh

That's the problem with Amsoil. They like to make all kinds of claims, but rarely are certified for the specs they claim to exceed.
Lots of hype but no real substance.
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024 DP 370 Cummins
Towing my 2012 Malibu w/Blue Ox towbar & Patriot brake system

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer

Moisheh

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm a bit confused as to why the OP is running PG coolant in the first place since all the convention coolants are EG. The only place on the coach the uses PG are those that might come in contact with drinking water and the such.

Before I switched to the extended life my all Cat wanted was coolant that met their standards as stated on the bottle...that and the additive of course.
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

unkledaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Ran across this a couple of minutes ago;

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Cavitation+Erosion+Of+Cylinder+Liners+And+How+To+Eliminate+It.-a054344...

I think I'll change to a 15# radiator cap.
Ya'll be safe out there!
Pete & Sue

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Basically, the green/blue is old, red/orange is new. I use Peak Final Charge Global Extended Life...it meets Cummins 14603 standards.
2014 American Eagle

steveownby
Explorer
Explorer
unkledaddy wrote:
I probably will go to Cummins locally and see about changing over to
their OAT coolant. Three years ago they talked me out of it. I'll see
what they have to say now, with three more years of experience and
re-formulations. When I see that big poster on their wall offering
an in chassis re-sleeve with a dollar amount (knowing it's more for
a DP than a semi) I either want to get back to my old gas model or
do some serious research on coolants.

I feel your pain. I have an '03 vintage Cummins and after exploring the coolant options I have decided that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I decided that its not such a bad thing to think about my coolant a couple of times a year and pull a sample & test it. Conventional coolant with the DCA package is an excellent coolant in every way and is universally available if you have a need on the road. Mixing brands is not a problem. With OAT you should be careful about topping up with same brand as all OAT coolants do not use compatable formulations and you could leave yourself without cavitation protection.

I just flushed & filled with Fleetguard ES Complete EG. I will change my coolant filter with a DCA charged one annually and use test strips every six months or so.

I
Steve Ownby
2003 Monaco Signature

Full-time since 2007

unkledaddy
Explorer
Explorer
I probably will go to Cummins locally and see about changing over to
their OAT coolant. Three years ago they talked me out of it. I'll see
what they have to say now, with three more years of experience and
re-formulations. When I see that big poster on their wall offering
an in chassis re-sleeve with a dollar amount (knowing it's more for
a DP than a semi) I either want to get back to my old gas model or
do some serious research on coolants.
Ya'll be safe out there!
Pete & Sue

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
unkledaddy wrote:
Blaster Man wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:
OK, have to ask-- why don't you want to run an OAT-based coolant. That is the high end coolant by Caterpillar and Cummins (Fleetguard) as well as others for their diesel engines???

I was wondering the same thing. The new stuff is good for years. I put propylene glycol in the Aqua Hot, not the Cummins.

I have a copper heater core. OAT corrosion inhibitors provide excellent long-term protection for aluminum and cast iron, but may not be the best choice for older cooling systems that have copper/brass radiators and heater cores, especially the lead solder used in them.

I wonder if this "don't use with copper/brass radiators" advice is current. I know there were initial issues with the OAT based coolants, but that was years ago.

Said another way, I don't know if this advice has basically become "an old wife's tale".

SOOO, here is current information from Fleetguard and Caterpillar websites:

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/en/products/cooling/coolant/es_compleat/oat.html

Lifetime coolant with 300,000 mi, 500,000 km, 6000 hrs service intervals
Provides antifreeze and antiboil protection
Superior liner pitting and corrosion protection
Superior aluminum and solder protection
Compatible with gaskets, elastomers and other non-metallics in the engine
Optimizes cooling system performance and water pump life
Contains proprietary scale inhibitors

http://parts.cat.com/parts/machine-fluids/coolants/extended-life-coolant

Cat ELC is developed, tested and approved by Caterpillar to meet the same high standards as all genuine Cat parts.
Factory-Fill - Used as standard factory-fill for all Cat machine cooling systems.
Lower Maintenance Costs - Reduces engine coolant and additive costs by as much as 500% compared to conventional coolants. Cat ELC eliminates the need for supplemental coolant additives, extends coolant change-out intervals and reduces disposal requirements.
Advanced Metal Protection - Incorporates an advanced formula technology with organic acid additive corrosion inhibitors, such as a combination of mono and dicarboxylates for maximum protection of copper, solder, brass, steel, cast iron and aluminum.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

unkledaddy
Explorer
Explorer
Blaster Man wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:
OK, have to ask-- why don't you want to run an OAT-based coolant. That is the high end coolant by Caterpillar and Cummins (Fleetguard) as well as others for their diesel engines???

I was wondering the same thing. The new stuff is good for years. I put propylene glycol in the Aqua Hot, not the Cummins.

I have a copper heater core. OAT corrosion inhibitors provide excellent long-term protection for aluminum and cast iron, but may not be the best choice for older cooling systems that have copper/brass radiators and heater cores, especially the lead solder used in them.
Ya'll be safe out there!
Pete & Sue

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:

2014 American Eagle

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
unkledaddy wrote:
Both I and my wallet are tired of changing the propylene glycol coolant in my Cummins ISC350 every two years, as well as adding a DCA when needed.

I saw this online and wondered if anyone on this forum is using it as it has a 7 year/750,000 mile extended service life. I know Amsoil products are of superior quality, but this one is new to me.

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/antifreeze/antifreeze-and-engine-coolant/?Group...

For those who may suggest it.......I do not want to run an OAT coolant.

From the second paragraph of your Amsoil link.

AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant contains a proprietary poly organic acid technology. It eliminates the need for supplemental coolant additives and recharging cooling systems. AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant provides extended service life in all gasoline and diesel vehicles. It can be used for seven years or 250,000 miles in passenger cars, light-duty trucks, vans and recreational vehicles. It lasts seven years or 750,000 miles in over-the-road diesel trucks. Also good for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and closed marine applications. AMSOIL Antifreeze & Engine Coolant lasts longer than conventional products.

Looks like Amsoil antifreeze is NOT for you.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson