cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone using Tire Pressure Monitors??

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
Just wondering if anyone is using tire pressure monitors like the TireMinders?? If so how do you like them? Are they worth the money?? Thanks
2007 Damon Daybreak 35.4ft Class A
2001 Georgie Boy 31ft Class C
2003 Coachman Auroa Gold Class A
1995 Coachman Santara Class C
2000 Coachman Pop-up
1988 Dodge Ram Conversion Van
44 REPLIES 44

minimutt
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 5th wheel and want yo get a tire minder. We have bronze tire posts. Which minder should we get?

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
WesternHorizon wrote:
EsoxLucius wrote:
Tire gauge and a rubber mallet.

Does that work when the inside dual picks up a drywall screw and goes flat over 10 minutes on the interstate.
No, but what is the chance of that happening. I've driven probably several million miles over 45 years, never picked up a drywall screw, and have had only three flats. I also know that I will likely know that an inside dual has gone flat through the steering wheel, hopefully before it drastically affects the remaining dual. Maybe I'm due. It's your money though, spend it as you wish.

It does happen:

My TPMS warned me of a tire going flat in time to safely pull off the freeway into a shaded area in southern Arizona on a 90+ degree day to put my spare tire on.

Without the TPMS I am sure the tire on my 5th wheel would have failed and often that results in significant damage to the 5th wheel.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
It happened to me in 2011. Drove home from Colorado Springs, CO with an inside dually absolutely flat. That is a little over 1,000 miles.

Not a drywall screw, mine was a nail. Before our next big trip, I had a TPMS, cheaper than a new tire or two. I was lucky, I had the tire patched, and it lasted until I replaced them 2 years later due to age.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
WesternHorizon wrote:
EsoxLucius wrote:

Does that work when the inside dual picks up a drywall screw and goes flat over 10 minutes on the interstate.
No, but what is the chance of that happening. I've driven probably several million miles over 45 years, never picked up a drywall screw, and have had only three flats. I also know that I will likely know that an inside dual has gone flat through the steering wheel, hopefully before it drastically affects the remaining dual. Maybe I'm due. It's your money though, spend it as you wish.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

WesternHorizon
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

WesternHorizon
Explorer
Explorer
I like TireTrakers which saved a friend from a blowout. See details in this post:

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27901642.cfm

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to follow up with everyone on the Tire Minder. Traveled 2400 miles round trip with the Tire Minders and I have to say I am happy I bought them. We had a few false alerts but after understanding the product they were no big deal. We had two alerts because one tire was running 1 pound over what the computer considered acceptable. All I did was adjust the pre set tire pressure from 80 to 81 and this stopped. Had two no sensor readings this was because of two bad batteries that they will be sending replacements for. Also don't mount the booster to a 12v plug like it says not to do ( me not following directions ) because it jiggles free and can cause no sensor found alert. Last alert was when we were driving in 90 degree Florida weather and one of the tires was running about 5 degrees hotter than the rest. Again no big deal but its nice to know its keeping you informed. This device gives you great piece of mind and I must say it would help if you were going to have a blow out or ran something over long before it became a problem. Any questions let me know!!??
2000 Coachman Pop-up

k9-keno
Explorer
Explorer
Ok I hooked up the tire minder 66 and it reads fine. Checks the tires etc etc. But the only question I have is the red light blinks when in monitoring mode....Is this normal?? Its not making any noises but the booklet does not say what lights if any should be on when just driving down the road.. Thanks
2000 Coachman Pop-up

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
IAMICHABOD wrote:
Bobbo wrote:
Is the Tire Man Dually Valve Stems out of business? I bought a set from him a year or so ago and love them. I was going to recommend them in this thread, with a link, but can't find a working link.

Yes, Tire Man is still in business he has a new website.

Here it is TIRE MAN and Chuck is still there to answer any questions.

That's him!

Get tire valves from this guy and have them installed. Expensive, but worth it.
Bobbo and Lin

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
Is the Tire Man Dually Valve Stems out of business? I bought a set from him a year or so ago and love them. I was going to recommend them in this thread, with a link, but can't find a working link.

Yes, Tire Man is still in business he has a new website.

Here it is TIRE MAN and Chuck is still there to answer any questions.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

OFDPOS
Explorer
Explorer
No I was just on I thought was their site about two weeks ago looking for the metal valve stems , I was rather put back when I saw the cost $120.00 for them.
I wound up on Amazon and bought the 4inch straight extenders for the inside duallys and I believe 135 degrees for the outer duals . I thought I needed the 180 degree and ordered all three to be sure I had what I would need, now I have the 180 degrees ones sitting on the shelf collecting dust ...

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo and Lin

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C