cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

awning repair.

B_B_Upch
Explorer
Explorer
Can someone tell me what kind of thread or string to use to sow the awning back on?
5 REPLIES 5

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to visit Sailrite.com It's a great resource for awnings, canvas, and thread for RV repair.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

fcooper
Explorer
Explorer
UV resistant upholstery thread, and it will work on a common sewing machine.

Fred
Fred & Vicki
St. Augustine, Florida

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
I once did some sewing repair to an awning and used "fish line", as I figured it was used mostly underwater conditions. I did it by hand, and to get a double type stitch like on a sewing machine, I would start out by making about 1/2 inch stitch, then come back about 1/4 inch on the under side, then back to 1/2 on the top again. I used a single line to do the sewing, and not a double line like regular sewing.
My awning had deteriorated at the top from the sun, so I cut it back about 12" and reused the plastic "welt strip" and sewed it up the full length that way. I used clothes pins to hold the welt strip in place while sewing. So I now had a 7 foot awning instead of an 8 foot.
Dr Quick

roam1
Explorer
Explorer
if its small, could use awning repair tape
it will hold for years

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I went to a marine upolstry shop and got some UV rresistant thread and a large needle. Did it by hand and took about an hour. Held for years. Think I siliconed over it as well. Don't be in a hurry
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)