cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

baltimore to maine

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
going from Baltimore to maine in july looking for best way to avoid traffic and tolls
9 REPLIES 9

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
Try to plan the trip on google and avoid tolls. It will give you several options.

Tolls are a fact of life here in NE. Take the "scenic rt" (cheap way) and you've doubled the drive time and if you hit Rt. 1 you'll can extend it to days longer.

You could take the route up through VT then cross over on Rt. 2 to Bangor ME, but then again you're still adding a lot more time and miles onto the trip.

I live in this area and I know what summer traffic is like, pay the tolls and stay on the interstates.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try to plan the trip on google and avoid tolls. It will give you several options.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Dahkota's route, except I did I-81 to Scranton last year and it was construction and rough road between Harrisburg and Scranton. Maybe some local will chime in and update the road conditions there, but if not, I recommend either I-78 to I-287 over the Tappan Zee to I-684 to I-84 or I-80 to US209 to I-84.

Also the eastern end of I-84 in PA had some bridge construction.

Like Dahkota's route with 83 to Harrisburg;81 to the 78/81 split...
.go 78 to rt 22 thru Allentown to rt 33 north
33 north to 80 east to exit 309
and then rt 209 to 84
84 to 90
90 to 495 t0 95
Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
Dahkota's route, except I did I-81 to Scranton last year and it was construction and rough road between Harrisburg and Scranton. Maybe some local will chime in and update the road conditions there...

Happen to be on 81 between Harrisonburg and Scranton this morning (I'm not driving obviously.) We passed a 7-mile one-lane stretch of construction but it moved quickly. Yep, pretty rough road in some places, otherwise fairly standard for Interstate. Trucks, curves and hills.

But we definitely prefer it versus I-95 through the NE corridor.

Pretty light traffic on a Monday morning by the way.

Edited to add - more construction at Wilkes Barre on 81 with 45 mph speed limit. But still light traffic and moving well.

Thomas_NH
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
83 to Harrisburg
81 to Scranton
84 to Sturbridge
90 to 495 around Boston
You are now in Maine.
This avoids the majority of traffic in the DC and NY corridors.

Enjoy!
We are now near Boston (left DC in April), plan to be in Maine in August. There are some great things to see along the way.

Well, not quite. you forgot about I95... You have to go through the great state of NH to get to ME.

Actually, that is the best route by far. It's further, but quicker. The only tuff sport is the Harford CT area. Plan your time there to avoid rush hours or weekend traffic. Also I95 in NH & ME, don't be on this road on weekends, super busy going into ME, all the way up to Portland.

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dahkota's route, except I did I-81 to Scranton last year and it was construction and rough road between Harrisburg and Scranton. Maybe some local will chime in and update the road conditions there, but if not, I recommend either I-78 to I-287 over the Tappan Zee to I-684 to I-84 or I-80 to US209 to I-84.

Also the eastern end of I-84 in PA had some bridge construction.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
83 to Harrisburg
81 to Scranton
84 to Sturbridge
90 to 495 around Boston
You are now in Maine.

Yep. X2

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
dahkota wrote:
83 to Harrisburg
81 to Scranton
84 to Sturbridge
90 to 495 around Boston
You are now in Maine.

Enjoy!
We are now near Boston (left DC in April), plan to be in Maine in August. There are some great things to see along the way.
X2
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
83 to Harrisburg
81 to Scranton
84 to Sturbridge
90 to 495 around Boston
You are now in Maine.

Enjoy!
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road