cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Banks Power exhaust system

ostbob
Explorer
Explorer
How many of you who Have this on your RV's are actually using the 97 Octane gas they recommend. I always use 87 Octane regular and have never believed in using premium.

Does it really make a difference with the banks system???
27 REPLIES 27

DryCreek
Explorer
Explorer
Is there any way to tell if the Banks tune was uploaded into your ECM?

The used unit I bought has the full Banks Power Pack (intake and exhaust) installed on it. When going through the material in the owners kit I found the Banks info, including a manual on the Otto-Mind, but no device to load/unload the tune. The previous owner said the Banks setup was put on by the original owner, and he never saw a tuner when he bought the unit (at MHSRV) in 2008.

All I have in comparison are test drives in two other similar length coaches, both with the same powertrain (3-valve V-10 and 5 speed TorqShift). The Winnie seems to shift at a lower RPM and doesn't "wind out" like the others did when trying to accelerate to highway speeds.

LVJ58
Explorer
Explorer
For whatever it's worth, we had the Banks system installed on our 2000 v10 powered coach in Nov. 2005 and the 5-Star Tune Jun. 2011 and still use 87 Octane fuel with no negative issues.

Good luck & Safe Travels
Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
ostbob wrote:
Sorry, it was 91 octane mention on page 10 of the Banks Automind programmers manual.
I have an email into Banks but sometimes it better to get the straight info from those who are using it. If you're not getting a pinging noise then what ever you're using should be Ok. I just purchased the RV from dealer so I don't know what previous owners used. I don't even know if it has the Automind program but I do know it has the Banks Power exhaust system. I have shifting problems so I was looking into the Automind.

http://assets.bankspower.com/manuals/942/97270-AutoMind_programmer-v4_web.pdf

What is your chassis and year, Ford or Workhorse, the reason I ask is Ford shift issue 2006 or newer is fixed with the 5 Star Tuning.

As to pinging on my V-10 3 valve with full banks system and 5 Star tuning I have had pinging a couple of times in certain areas, could have been bad fuel not sure, so I did add higher octane and it went away and than back to 87 octane, I was told by Mike at 5 Star tuning that the factory spark plugs from Ford need replaced to a hotter spark plug if some pinging is present.

Tinstar
Explorer
Explorer
If you use the high octane why would you need a Banks?
:CNever pass up a chance to go somewhere:C

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
I have the last of the Ford big block v8's with a new Banks Power Pack installed last year. It smoothly rumbles when idling and gets off the mark much better than before. The 87 octane that I've always used is fine.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
I have the full banks power pack, and K&N air intake, plus the 5 star tune. 5 star did set things different with the banks kit in mind. I was never advised or did I read anything about higher than 87 octane gas.
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

ostbob
Explorer
Explorer
Bagman, do you know if you have the Automind tuner or similar programming? Or do they need to install a tuner of some type when ever they install a complete system.

I read where the Automind can be added and will help with the shifting issues going up steep hills.

bagman
Explorer
Explorer
I had the full Banks Power Pack on our 2004 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37DB and used 87 Octane unleaded gas! It was on the Chevy 8.1 V-8.
Land of Opportunity & Liberty 4 ALL!

ostbob
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, it was 91 octane mention on page 10 of the Banks Automind programmers manual.
I have an email into Banks but sometimes it better to get the straight info from those who are using it. If you're not getting a pinging noise then what ever you're using should be Ok. I just purchased the RV from dealer so I don't know what previous owners used. I don't even know if it has the Automind program but I do know it has the Banks Power exhaust system. I have shifting problems so I was looking into the Automind.

http://assets.bankspower.com/manuals/942/97270-AutoMind_programmer-v4_web.pdf

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Unleaded aviation fuel is 93, leaded is 100. I don't know where to get 97.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Banks website:

"Q: Will I need to use premium fuel?
Installing a Banks Power system does not require that you upgrade the quality of fuel you run."
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
I have the full Banks system and 5 Star tuning, 87 octane works fine, where did Banks say it needs 97 octane.

Maybe your taking about Banks programmer needs 97 octane, the Banks headers/exhaust/air intake does not require 97 octane, works fine with 87 octane and so does the 5 Star program.

Also I think you meant 93 octane, not sure they make a 97 octane unless its racing fuel..

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Asking the question in another way, why would Banks, who doesn't seem to have any financial stake in gasoline makers or sellers, advise you to buy gasoline that costs more unless they believed... Why not ask them?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad