cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bed Across Front Seats

bcgarrison
Explorer
Explorer
Any ideas on fabricating a bed to lay across the front seats of my Class C motorhome? Front seats don't swivel.
10 REPLIES 10

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
kgragert wrote:
This may not be what you had in mind, but it's interesting and the owner found it useful.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/hanging-cot-idea-sleep-space-rv/
VERY CREATIVE

kgragert
Explorer
Explorer
This may not be what you had in mind, but it's interesting and the owner found it useful.

http://www.doityourselfrv.com/hanging-cot-idea-sleep-space-rv/
I thought when I retired my Hobby would be RVing.
I was wrong, my Hobby apparently is Finding and stopping leaks.

ron_dittmer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure this is viable, but just maybe a 2' x 4' folding table will work when you un-clip the drink/change holder (easily done on the Ford). This way it is a bed at night and a table when needed.

Here is the table I refer to, and where we store it. They are adjustable height sold in many Walmart type places. Just leave the legs tucked up in the table for a bed platform. I am sure it will safely support a normal weighted child across the two seats. Support it with something if questionable.

Four Height Settings
Shown Lowest

Shown Tallest

Easy To Store
We Store It Here

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can always make them swivel, thus giving you a lot more seat cushion as they face each other to put the bed on,sliding them close together will give you a much smaller gap to fill.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a new product idea to me. Maybe add a small inflateable air mattress with a bellows inflator to save space.

GWolfe
Explorer
Explorer
Why not use a 1x2 or whatever as a leg in the middle, you could even put a hinge on it so it would fold up.
2005 Sun-Lite Eagle
2011 Silverado

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have sufficient clearance with the doghouse and the seat backs to make this usable? I'm not sure I do in mine.

Note that (on the Fords at least) the cupholder/bin unit detaches quite easily from the doghouse proper via a clip at the bottom. With a little cleverness, it seems to me it should be possible to construct a center mount for the bed unit that attaches to the doghouse via the knobs and so forth that the cubby unit attaches with and simultaneously gain a bit of additional depth. The easiest way might be to get an old cubby unit from a junkyard and cut it down to just the mounting bits. Obviously the weight on the doghouse cover should not be excessive.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
If you are concerned about the board sagging, add a strip of 1 x 2 on or near the edge of the board (one or both edges) to stiffen the board for the space between the seats. That may or may not be needed, depending on the weight of the person using it and how wide the gap is. But it's cheaper and lighter than using a thicker board for the entire thing.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

summerhouse
Explorer
Explorer
I would think you would need some sort of support between the seats. I think w/o support you will find that the board will bend in the middle.
โ€œLight hearted I take to the open roadโ€ฆ Healthy, free, the world before meโ€ฆ The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.โ€ - Walt Whitman

5Mainecampers
Explorer
Explorer
Can be done with a board going across the two seats and a foam topper as a cushion---- I remember my parents doing that in a van they had when I was a kid