cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Before you sign the papers...

charlessfolly
Explorer
Explorer
Before you sign the papers to buy your perfect rv why not wheel and deal for these items:
1)a second battery.
2)solar panel and controller
3)accumulator tank
The rv comes with a new battery (it should) but if you camp at all you really need two.Get the second one now so they are a matched set.(most rv's have space for two).
Solar panels and controllers are pricey to buy later.A 100 watt unit will maintain your battery bank so you don't have to hassle with watching over it.Batteries last longer if kept charged up and solar controllers can do a better job than a regular battery charger.(and no extension cords...)
Shureflo makes your electric water pump.They also make an accumulator tank which mates to the pump.This pressurized reservoir holds about a cup of water.It's handy when you go to flush the toilet but forgot to turn on the pump.It's essential in that it quiets the plumbing noises of the pump and water pipes hammering when in use.Mum will love it.At about $75 the kit isn't expensive- the installation can be,though...and if they do it the job is guaranteed.
All in all,battery,cables,strap and solar panel,w/controller and accumulator you can figure about $800 to $1000.Installation could be $500 more.Before you sign on the dotted line,hand back the pen and say "let's make a deal."
I got half price on a new roof on a used trailer a few years back,I got 2 new batteries,my 2 old batteries and 2 solar panels with controllers installed on my recent trade-in.
And,if they smile and nod even if you offer to pay part of the bill consider more panels-nows the time!
9 REPLIES 9

Camper_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
In hindsight I would have preferred the dealer was not installing this stuff on the cheap.
Rather do it myself or have a good tradesman do the work.

It sounds like you didn't have a good dealer. All the things I asked for (see previous post above) we're top quality and installed professionally. I verified the installation during the walk-through before accepting the motorhome.
2016 Itasca Navion 24J

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
In hindsight I would have preferred the dealer was not installing this stuff on the cheap.
Rather do it myself or have a good tradesman do the work.

pedally
Explorer
Explorer
I have a question: MSRP is$105,160.00. Dealer is offering it for $80,000. I'd offer $73,000. Do you still expect extra's thrown in?

Camper_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
When I traded for our new Navion I worked the deal for the best price then to seal the deal I asked for 100 watt solar panel and controller, upgrade the 2 house batteries to Trojan T105, Maxx-Air cover on bathroom vent and a written guarantee that if I needed warranty work during the first year (which I did) I would be able to get right in, rather than the "we're booked four weeks out since it's the busy season". I got it all with virtually no push back.
2016 Itasca Navion 24J

BillHoughton
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oasisbob wrote:
...always have a neutral service center check it over prior to sighing.

I wish I'd done that - I didn't because the local RV places couldn't make an appointment sooner than two weeks, and we needed to close the deal before then.

So I sighed some, although we got the RV for such a steal of a price that I can't really complain; even with the work we had to get done, we came out way far ahead.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
digger,,digger,, and digger some more, then act like your going to walk, I love to watch a sales man wiggle in his shoes.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Absolutely....isn't that way it's done when working a deal for a new RV?....negotiate, negotiate, negotiate...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
Sure why not ask? Atleast a hefty discount. If buying used always have a neutral service center check it over prior to sighing. I did this and found a ton of issues seller was happy, or acted like it, to fix. How motivated would he have been after the sale?
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
My dealer tossed in a $500 certificate for any parts, materials or labor in their store and shop. I bought my stinky slinky, water pressure regulator, 2nd battery, Heavy duty shocks and some other stuff. He did this when I was hem-hawing about signing. I didn't ask for him to sweeten the pot. I just said I needed to take my wife to lunch and we would be back to sign the papers then. He about turned white thinking we were gonna walk, not come back. But honestly, my wife has a condition that she has to eat on specific schedule.

Dealer whipped out the $500 gift certificate, I signed and we went to lunch (on their dime) while they finished prepping the RV for us.