cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best time of the year to buy a used RV

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
I've been searching for a good used RV from a private seller for about a year now. I'm in no hurry (obviously), but I would like to find one since I sold mine a few months ago. I would have thought that spring and summer would have brought more choices locally, since I figured people would be looking to get out of their RVs an into something newer but I'm not finding that to be the case....in fact, I'm seeing fewer RVs now than I did back in the winter. I find it odd.

I am seeing the prices are about 10-20% higher than in the winter on the ones that are available, which makes sense considering the supply and demand factor. I guess I'll go back to tent-camping until winter rolls around again.

Has anyone else's experience been similar to mine?

Tom
14 REPLIES 14

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
ncrowley wrote:
A good time to purchase RVs in Arizona is around April when people are going back home and they may want to get rid of the RV. In other places, a good time to buy is at the end of their RV season when they figure they are not using it enough and do not want to keep it another season.

The latter seems to be the situation in Tennessee. I figure at the end of the camping season (for most) people decide they want something different next year, or don't want to RV any more, or didn't use it at all. In any case they want off of another winter's storage/registration and are looking to get rid of an RV.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

pump-dump-go
Explorer
Explorer
Tom, I am sorta in the same boat as you, I have been looking, shopping, drooling, and more looking, shopping, drooling some more. I am not in a hurry, (well not at this time)to jump on the first deal that comes along, but I have noticed that choices for me hear in the western part of NC, (foothills) have been in the fall (possible end of camping season for some) and then again early spring, but I have most been looking on rvtrader or craigslist where mostly are private sales.
Happy hunting 🙂

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting replies. I had never thought about the location in the United States as being a factor in the decision process.

Tom

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
A good time to purchase RVs in Arizona is around April when people are going back home and they may want to get rid of the RV. In other places, a good time to buy is at the end of their RV season when they figure they are not using it enough and do not want to keep it another season.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
I always tell my friends that are interested in selling to get their RV's prepped for sale as spring hits, when people get the bug to go camping and start looking for an RV.

On the other side of the coin, people often finish off an RV season and decide it's time to get out of RVing or get rid of the rig. So my guess would be spring and fall as the two best for finding used.

I agree here in Florida. People spend the winter here and when time to go up north they sell their rig. But do it before the actual summer season Starts.
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
I always tell my friends that are interested in selling to get their RV's prepped for sale as spring hits, when people get the bug to go camping and start looking for an RV.

On the other side of the coin, people often finish off an RV season and decide it's time to get out of RVing or get rid of the rig. So my guess would be spring and fall as the two best for finding used.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Having run automobile dealerships for a career, if buying from a dealer, I can tell you that the last few days of the month are BEST for getting a good deal.

Most salesmen, sales managers and general managers have volume bonus associated with their comp plan.

And, if buying new, many manufacturers have volume bonuses to their dealers.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I've found that the best time to negotiate with a dealer, for any major purchase, is in December. End of year quotas, etc.
From a private seller, I'm guessing if they are advertising it for sale, they are somewhat desperate to sell right then so the actual date might not mean much to them. The problem for the seller is that there may not be many buyers available if they advertised their RV in December, before Christmas. This is good for you as a buyer but it might also be difficult to check all systems if the coach has been Winterized. A motivated seller will de-Winterize but don't ask unless you are serious.

I agree, December. I bought mine from a dealer week before Christmas. After the deal, the salesman told me there were about as slow as they could be and that I would never have gotten that deal in June. And I believe him. With that said, the market picks up in Arizona in the winter, so if buying in December, buy north for the best deal. The selection though might be better down south.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Not quite the answer you are looking for but I think the best time to buy a USED anything is when you find something that will do what you want it to do. Will the RV fit your anticipated RVing lifestyle? If so, and you can afford it go for it.
Since used rigs that will work for you don't come along all the time the one chance to buy one may be the only time.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
the_vfox wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I've found that the best time to negotiate with a dealer, for any major purchase, is in December. End of year quotas, etc.
From a private seller, I'm guessing if they are advertising it for sale, they are somewhat desperate to sell right then so the actual date might not mean much to them. The problem for the seller is that there may not be many buyers available if they advertised their RV in December, before Christmas. This is good for you as a buyer but it might also be difficult to check all systems if the coach has been Winterized. A motivated seller will de-Winterize but don't ask unless you are serious.
This and I look to see how long that the RV I like has been on the lot.

That is a good point and if the coach was advertised on the internet, you can track down how many months it has been listed and if there has been any price reductions.

the_vfox
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
This and I look to see how long that the RV I like has been on the lot.
Fox and Angel, fuzz ball cat and crazy Yorkie :S
Don't call me on the weekend, Im out camping.:C
2001 Itasca Horizon DP 36LD 330 Cat and all the bells and whistles
Go Blue, US Air Force(retired)25 years 🙂

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
I noticed that after labor Day the used market seems to surge. Since March not much movement but my search was focused on a praticular builder and model.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I have always felt the off season is best to purchase anything. Like buying an air conditioner when its 110 out there - you won't get the best deal, IMHO.