cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best way to purify the water in holding tank

Big_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
I am wanting to purify the water in the holding tank to be safe. Just not sure the best method to use. This the water we shower with and wash dishes with.
We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.
18 REPLIES 18

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
on the other hand, I grew up drinking from the garden hose running well water and I guess I'm still alive and kicking ... I don't worry too much about it.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
ChooChooMan74 wrote:
5Mainecampers wrote:
We use bottle water for drinking even at campgrounds with hook ups-- still don't know the quality of their water... as previously mentioned, it's cheap insurance.
Just curious, do you drink bottled water, or bottled drinks, from a restaurant, because you don't know the quality of their water?

Just how big a restaurant do you eat at?

I can't recall being to a restaurant with a couple miles of water system and a bunch of patrons hooked up to it, possibly with no back-flow preventers and hoses that may have flushed their black tanks.

I guess it's possible though.

Big_Redneck
Explorer
Explorer
Lot of good information on this. I have city water in the tank but do drink bottle water. Thank you all for the information.
We don't travel as much as we use to. I guess we are getting old.I want to go out west one more time.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
5Mainecampers wrote:
We use bottle water for drinking even at campgrounds with hook ups-- still don't know the quality of their water... as previously mentioned, it's cheap insurance.
Just curious, do you drink bottled water, or bottled drinks, from a restaurant, because you don't know the quality of their water?
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

msgtord
Explorer
Explorer
pconroy328 wrote:
5Mainecampers wrote:

So do we.
Same reason - cheap insurance.

When we fill up, I try to find city water that I *think* I can trust. If it's a little questionable, then I use those Camco inline filters. I realize they're pretty coarse, but I figure it's a bit better than nothing.

Yep. Same here.
1995 Fleetwood Mallard 22B.
2014 Ford F250 Crew Cab. 6.2, 4x4.

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
5Mainecampers wrote:

So do we.
Same reason - cheap insurance.

When we fill up, I try to find city water that I *think* I can trust. If it's a little questionable, then I use those Camco inline filters. I realize they're pretty coarse, but I figure it's a bit better than nothing.

5Mainecampers
Explorer
Explorer

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
We boondock a lot in the national forests and often the only water supply is a hand pumped well. Therefore, when we get home from a trip I drain the tanks and hot water heater, hook up municipal water and flush out the system, fill the fresh tank with water, add bleach, pump it through the system and let it sit overnight. The next day I drain it all out and refill with fresh municipal water.

Also, we buy water by the gallon jug when we travel to use as drinking water, for coffee, etc. You can buy the water in any supermarket, mostly for less than a buck a gallon. It is just added protection for safety.

Some call this overkill but if you hook up to a small town system or use hand pumps...why not overkill? You don't know whats in the water. And the bottled drinking water is odorless and tasteless. Cheap insurance IMO.

In thirty five years of RVing we have never had illness from water. A three week supply of bottled water is less than twenty bucks, so why not avoid any contamination risk? Now, if we were parking in established places for longer periods of time I am sure we would modify our technique. That is not our style of using our RV.

Paul
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
google purify rv fresh water for a lot of reading ... just off the cuff here's one link that describes the bleach mix, and argues against hydrogen peroxide

http://www.aboutrving.com/rv-topics/cleaning-the-fresh-water-system/
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, I'm not sure, as I have only read about this in not only this forum but others also. I personally have not tried this method, but there is a lot of info out there if you care to take the time to look. Do a search on it here and other forums and decide for yourself if it is for you or not.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
Water can sit in a fresh water tank for several months without experiencing problems. However, if the tank was not sanitized prior to using it this season, then the water in it should be drained and the tank sanitized as indicated above. You don't have to use a chlorine mixture as hydrogen peroxide will do the trick without the chlorine odor.

Ron

How much hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons of water?

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Water can sit in a fresh water tank for several months without experiencing problems. However, if the tank was not sanitized prior to using it this season, then the water in it should be drained and the tank sanitized as indicated above. You don't have to use a chlorine mixture as hydrogen peroxide will do the trick without the chlorine odor.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Are you asking to sanitize the system? The bleach method is good for that. Purifying the water for a shower? For drinking, I just run my tank water through a PUR filter.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
newman fulltimer wrote:
why purify it?Do you purify your shower water at home:h
His home water doesn't likely sit in a small tank.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman