cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Better way to VA beach?

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Let's face it, 64 and 264 are some of the WORST roads on the east coast. We love VA beach but I am sure I am doing hidden damage to RV every time I travel the route from MD to VA beach via 95. Almost to the point that I dn't even want to go anymore. It's that bad. I cringe at the tank traps and land mines on that route. And forget about NOVA traffic. I don't care when you go, there is always a back up. Is there a better way? 81 - 66? I can google map and plan to, just wondering if any of you have a nicer route without adding too much time. Thanks
2013 ACE 29.2
12 REPLIES 12

-Gramps-
Explorer
Explorer
The downtown tunnel closes on the weekends from 8pm Friday until 5am Monday for repairs west bound, still open going east toward the Beach.

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
We are between Frederick and Smithsburg so the 50/13 would add considerable time. I think I'll try 460.
2013 ACE 29.2

jpmihalk
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Va Beach and also recommend the US 460 suggestions made previously. There is also the US 50 route to the Eastern Shore and then take US 13 south across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (check for wind restrictions first) but that route can be an expensive toll and add some major time if you live west of Frederick. It is a pretty drive and flat.
John & Kerri
2016 Thor Hurricane 35C with our pups MacDuff, Piper and Annabelle

mark5w
Explorer
Explorer
Depends where you are in MD you could:
US-50 E and US-13 S 238 mi, 4 hours 26 mins
'13 2018 JAYCO EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS- '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension

I eliminated Va Beach and Ocean City, MD many years ago. To many nice beaches further South in the Carolinas......I like parking ON THE BEACH!!!!!!

C-Leigh_Racing
Explorer
Explorer
I believe I would find another beach to go to.
Last time my family & I were at VA Beach, once there & spending a couple days in a parking lot, I thought I must have lost my mind & we've never been back.
Theres plenty of other beach areas, would be more than glad to have you spend your money at their locations.

Had heard that a few years ago, VA Beach had been picked out to have a city street road course race event, for the Indycar series, but it never happened because those folks didnt want their driveways blocked. I can understand their feelings though, but sure lost the town a big income because of it.
Neil

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
I like the 460 suggestion. Seems to only add about 30 minutes. I'll take it over the windows rattling out and every screw in the MH coming loose.
2013 ACE 29.2

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
Do the 460 route as suggested. There are a few small towns in the heart of Virginia's peanut and hog land, so you can get some good BBQ on the way.

I was born in Richmond and used to love VA beach. Since we've moved to the SW part of the state of VA, we discovered Myrtle Beach which, to us, now makes VA Beach look dinky. Plus in Myrtle Beach you can actually park your RV on the ocean front which is a real plus.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use 460 too.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
You can't get there from where you are.

My only suggestion would be to take I-95 past I-64 to Petersburg, and pick up US 460 to Virginia Beach. 460 is not interstate, but it is 4-lane divided, and eventually meets I-64, coming into Suffolk and Virginia Beach. It is a little less bumpy as of last time I was on it, but it misses all that mess in Newport News and Hampton. BTW, one of the tunnels in Portsmouth is closed for repairs on weekends right now, so you'll want to avoid that route (and I don't remember which one it is, you'll have to search for it).

2hams
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with KD4UPL. You can also come down the Eastern shore.

We took I95 to I295 to US 460 our last trip. Unlike 64 this doesn't bounce the sink covers off
2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK
2019 GMC Denali 3500 D/A SRW

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Take 95 on south, 295 around Richmond to Petersburg. Get route 460 east toward Chesapeake. Then you can come into the beach form the "bottom".