cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware Pilot in NJ

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
On the way home from the NE we stopped at the Pilot along I78 in West Clinton,NJ. I don't come this way often, and forgot that one cannot self_serve gasoline in NJ.

Anyway, I dutifully pulled up as the attendant directed, passed him my card, and said clearly "$50 regular unleaded". At some point I walked down to the pump which had stopped. I was asked if I wanted a receipt and I stated yes.

When I pulled away, I looked at the receipt and it clearly showed he had put in premium unleaded which was about 60 cents a gallon more than regular. Since we were already away from the station which by the way was packed, I just moved along. I even tipped the guy before I noticed the receipt.

My advice in NJ is watch the attendant like a hawk to ensure your the selection is honored. I feel like this is a racket at this Pilot and intend to call the Manager Monday.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad
48 REPLIES 48

Mike_Hohnstein
Explorer
Explorer
I had a interesting experience in Tualatin Oregon last summer. State law requires attendant to pump gasoline but vehicle operator can pump diesel. Pulled up to the pump in diesel rig, attendant approached and being full of love for my fellow man allowed him to fuel my rig, normally I take care of my own diesel. Mind you I gave the uniformed fellow with 'Juan' on his jacket a 5 dollar tip up front to assure good service, however he soon RAN OFF. I finished the fill and went to the C store to look up 'Juan', saw the police inside, providing the answer to why 'Juan' ran off.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
"There are also worries that young, inexperienced drivers run into trouble when visiting neighboring states and forced to pump their own gas for the first time (that was an issue for the author of this story when he drove in Pennsylvania as a teenager)."

good lord. politicians. by the time a teenager in NJ or OR reaches driving age they have surely seen gas pumped into vehicles hundreds of times. it's not rocket science.

Well, it might not be rocket science, but you would be dumbstruck by how many adults(as in way past teenager status) from NJ haven't got a clue as to how to put fuel in their vehicle. I live about a half hour west of the border, in PA. I have lost track of how many times I have patiently assisted folks with Jersey plates, who are standing there, looking at the pump like it's some alien life forum. I would stop for coffee every morning at the local general store, and it wasn't uncommon to have one of the good ole' boys shout, " I got this one" as they got off their perch, and graciously headed outside to help a clueless visitor fill their tank.

Given our current crop of teens, who seem to spend every waking moment staring at a smart phone, I bet there are more than few from Jersey who couldn't successfully pump their own gas if you offered them a $1000 to do so, and wouldn't know a pump handle from a pick axe.

dstock50
Explorer
Explorer
By Pass NJ The state is a rip off.

dstock50
Explorer
Explorer
By Pass NJ The state is a rip off.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
I am the OP. This one has really taken off.

I never bothered to call the Pilot back because in hindsight, based on comments by others in the thread, I realized it would be a fruitless waste of time.

My reason for posting was that one really needs to be vigilant at this full serve facility and don't assume your selection will be honored.

WRT premium fuel, there is little doubt in my mind that petroleum manufacturer's make a larger profit selling "Premium" when compared to "Regular". If this were not true, the manufacturer's would not be attempting to convince me via advertising to select Premium.

I have no proof of this, but I suspect that the fuel attendants receive some sort of bonus at the end of the day for up-selling Premium. Up-selling was a common practice in the service industry where I worked while in college, pizza delivery. Suggest selling of extra cheese and cokes was expected: "Would you like extra cheese or cokes with that?".

In closing, I don't think it was a simple mistake/oversight. Let the buyer beware...
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Bruce_Brown
jerseyjim wrote:
NJ does have much cheaper gas than the surrounding states. The reason? Low gas TAXES. And...attendants pump the gas for you. Now me, even with the pump jockey, i get out of my vehicle, give him the card, take the card back after he inserts it in the pump slot and watch everything.
Now....TAXES....knowing that gasoline (oil) is at a low point...the pols want to add TWENTY THREE CENTS PER GALLON tax. Why? Our "highway/bridge" funds are almost gone. Where? Lemme tell ya'....years ago, a gas tax increase was proposed and accepted by the voting public. Something like 3 cents a gallon. For the "highway and bridge" fund. MILLIONS were collected. BILLIONS over the years....and are still being collected, and where is this money going? NOT to the "highway and bridge fund", but instead has been and is being used (transferred?) (stolen?) to the "GENERAL FUND"....that finances everything EXCEPT the "highway and bridge" fund.
So, NJ gas will increase shortly. How much? Don't know.
And...having a person pump gas is not a "crazy law". For many...a good thing and does no harm. Provides jobs, too. That's not "crazy".

The tax portion is just like ever government program ever! Promise one thing, do another. "If you like your plan you can keep your plan"...or not. :R

As far as the crazy law part, I see where you're coming from but it limits your choice as a consumer - and thats never good. Heck I even use the self checkouts at stores when I have the option.

I'm also wondering how the OP ever made out. Any updates?
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

mfox20
Explorer
Explorer
Somebody make this one go away!!!! :B
Michael

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Gasser
2013 Honda CR-V Toad

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:
I think it was a good thing when you pulled into a gas station and a guy pumped your gas, checked your tires and oil and cleaned your windows. I'd still be willing to pay for that.

My Dad owned a Service Station from 1960 til 1990. Finally sold the property and it's now a parking lot. Why, because he could not make enough money to exist. No one want's it and are sure not willing to pay for it. And yes, we pumped the gas, cleaned the windows, gauged the tires, checked the water, oil and battery.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:
I think it was a good thing when you pulled into a gas station and a guy pumped your gas, checked your tires and oil and cleaned your windows. I'd still be willing to pay for that.
Maybe wash the windshield, otherwise totally not needed or wanted. My car, truck and RV all have tire pressure monitors. Nobody adds oil to their vehicles anymore, you just get it changed at the recommended intervals. And with today's modern cars, what are the chances the guy finds the dipstick in the first place? I probably have opened the hood to my car and truck less than 5 times in the last 5 years.
And I don't need anyone to fill the tank with gas anymore than I need someone to cut my steak at a steakhouse. Especially if it is going to raise the price.
The price of fuel already includes the profits for the drillers, the refiners, the transportation company, the gas station, taxes for roads and bridges and who knows what else. I really don't need to add to that the costs of a meaningless, low paying, jobs program.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Oregon is a broke state and has been broke for a long time. The purpose of having attendants at the pumps was to provide jobs. It's not a high paying job and you're not going to get conscientious workers. You're going to get high school kids and those down in their luck. Consequently, I don't trust them with my credit card or to properly put the correct fuel in my vehicles.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
irishtom29 wrote:

if it's done right, maybe. but I think the odds of someone pumping the wrong gas, creating a flat tire or causing a problem under the hood make it too risky.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
jerseyjim wrote:
NJ does have much cheaper gas than the surrounding states. The reason? Low gas TAXES. And...attendants pump the gas for you. Now me, even with the pump jockey, i get out of my vehicle, give him the card, take the card back after he inserts it in the pump slot and watch everything.
Now....TAXES....knowing that gasoline (oil) is at a low point...the pols want to add TWENTY THREE CENTS PER GALLON tax. Why? Our "highway/bridge" funds are almost gone. Where? Lemme tell ya'....years ago, a gas tax increase was proposed and accepted by the voting public. Something like 3 cents a gallon. For the "highway and bridge" fund. MILLIONS were collected. BILLIONS over the years....and are still being collected, and where is this money going? NOT to the "highway and bridge fund", but instead has been and is being used (transferred?) (stolen?) to the "GENERAL FUND"....that finances everything EXCEPT the "highway and bridge" fund.
So, NJ gas will increase shortly. How much? Don't know.
And...having a person pump gas is not a "crazy law". For many...a good thing and does no harm. Provides jobs, too. That's not "crazy".

Even if the pols bump the Fed gas tax up a nickel from the current 18.4 cents to 23 cents, NJ will still be well below the neighboring states in total gas taxes.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bruce Brown wrote:

There are no self service stations in NJ, that's the point of this post. It is illegal to pump your own gas in NJ.

Crazy law IMO, but it is what it is.

I meant if they change the law, theoretically they could lower prices, because the businesses would have less cost. But, reality, the companies will pocket the increased profit.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS