cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Big FMCA Rally Advice

joraz
Explorer
Explorer
We've never been to one of these but I think we will head up to Wisconsin to check out the one coming up at the end of the month. We are in a 40 footer with toad. I've got a few questions directed toward FMCA rally veterans:

1. They offer dry camp, 30 amp and 50 amp. No prob dry camping for us but what do you prefer?
2. Anyone stay outside the rally and buy day passes?
3. Any prob leaving a well behaved dog in coach when attending seminars?
4. Any prob getting toad out on demand?
5. How about the seminars? Are they usually full?

Any other advice? Thanks.
jor
09 LazyDaze
12 REPLIES 12

joraz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. Just signed up. We decided to stay on site and have a 30 amp spot reserved. We'll take the "arrive early" advice too. We're looking forward to this as it really takes us out of our comfort zone. Have always avoided large gatherings and never been in that part of the country. Thanks again for all the input.
jor
09 LazyDaze

ncrowley
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have always stayed at an RV park close to the rally. You have full hookups and I have had no problem with electricity where I have seen issues at the rally location. You also are not all packed into a parking lot. Many prefer to stay at the rally location for the socialization with the other attendees.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
If the rally starts on Thursday, you can pretty much guarantee that the place will be full by Monday. Get their early if you want a spot close to the action. The big rallies offer shuttle service, but it can be a pain.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Day passes do not include seminars as I recall. It's coach display and vendors only.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
I always pay for AC power 30 or 50amp what ever is available. They usually stack you like sardines and some do not like to have a neighbor running their generators unless you have this attachment to the tail pipe of the generator so that it is high over the coach with the emissions coming out of that tail pipe.

You will have no problems getting out with your toad.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
We had planned on attending, but were opting for a day pass and would have stayed at the KOA up north of town. We were at the FMCA Glamarama in Goshen last month and decided we didn't want to attend and possibly be camped off site for hookups. Plans change due to motorhome problems we're making a trip to the Freightliner factory in Gaffney NC instead. Second year in a row our planned month sojourn to Wisconsin has been scrubbed.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
1. We love the convenience of having electrical hookups, so that's what we do. Never had a problem with their electrical.
2. I agree with Sully...that sucks..:)
3. Depends, mainly on the weather. If the power fails, your dog will suffer.
4. No problem with the toad.
5. Depends on the seminars. Quality ones are full, some are not.

Any advice. Before you go, check the itinerary for the Rally and see who is going to be there. Some are good, some not so good. FMCA rallies are usually the best as they draw quality vendors and entertainment.

Our last Good Sam rally was so bad even Marcus Lemonis didn't attend..:E....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
It could be hot and humid so AC will be a must. It is 91 in Madison today with nearly 100% humidity. On the other hand it can also be 78 with low humidity and lovely but without trees to shade that can be hot inside a coach.

emorris548
Explorer
Explorer
1. 30 or 50 amp is your personal preference based on your needs. I have been to a couple of FMCA & GS rally's and even though we also have no problem dry camping, we always take power. Why? Generators! Dry campers are generally in one area therefore the noise and fumes can be a problem especially as close as they park you. Also if you choose to leave your pet, if warm you would want to leave your air on.

Getting your toad out should be no problem.

Some seminars are very popular and could fill up quickly, arrive early. Also you often will find conflicting seminars, our strategy is DW will go to one and me to the other, taking notes.

My advice is camp at the rally. These events can be tiring so a quick nap and cheaper eats at the coach is a plus. Also you might just fine that perfect item you need to buy and have installed on your coach, which most vendors will do on site. Ie, I once made a deal on tires for my MH and the shop came to my sit and change out 6 tires the next day.

In any case enjoy, these are great events.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Make reservations to get into any of the parking spots you mentioned or you will have no choice other than your #2. Off site RV parking may be sparse as well. We prefer electric spot if it the electricity permanently distributed under ground rather than temporary distribution above ground and generated by large generatores setting around the parking area. AND especially should you happen ti be parked by a big generator that runs all night. We leave our 4 legged friend in coach depending on weather and power availability. If hot and no power no. Find other arrangements.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Hoosier_Cruiser
Explorer
Explorer
joraz wrote:
We've never been to one of these but I think we will head up to Wisconsin to check out the one coming up at the end of the month. We are in a 40 footer with toad. I've got a few questions directed toward FMCA rally veterans:

1. They offer dry camp, 30 amp and 50 amp. No prob dry camping for us but what do you prefer? We get 30 amp, although Madison can be hot at this time of the year.
2. Anyone stay outside the rally and buy day passes? We always stay on the grounds. All attendees will be at the Alliant Energy Center grounds this year. No one will be offsite at Lake Farm Park. Those that have Lake Farm Parking will be re-routed to Alliant Energy Center grounds.
3. Any prob leaving a well behaved dog in coach when attending seminars? If you can close off 1/2 of your coach, suggest you run on air conditioner for you and your dog's comfort.
4. Any prob getting toad out on demand? No problem at all just be sure to have your car pass hanging from mirror upon re-entry.
5. How about the seminars? Are they usually full? Normally, there is room for all, but arrive a few minutes early to sit where you would like. The indoor vendors and seminar rooms should all be in the same building or a short walk to the next building. FMCA has some of the best technical presenters available. Gary Bunzer, the RV Doctor; Brett Wolfe, chassis and diesel; etc. The Geeks do technical seminars about phones and computers, but about 1/3 of the time will be trying to sell their web site for a fee paid by you. Just review your program book and look at the descriptions. You will probably have conflicts where you cannot get to all the seminars you would like. Our first couple of rallies, my wife and I split and attended different seminars to get the best use of time. Please be sure to attend the FMCA Benefit Seminar. Even though there is a list and some detail in FMC, you will get much more detail at the seminar. FMCAssist is one of the best benefits that is included when you pay your dues. Some seminars are really sales pitches. Don't just jump to buy their product. With so many vendors there, you will be able to research and buy from the one that gives you the best price and information.

If you need service, the Service Center will open at noon and motor home preview 5-8:30 on Wednesday.
Thursday, Friday, & Saturday all the vendors are open 9-4, coaches 9-5.

Any other advice? Thanks. Bring money, you will find something you just cannot do without. We usually eat lunch on the grounds, but drive to a restaurant for dinner if time permits. Otherwise, we have meals in the coach.
jor
Hoosier Cruiser

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
joraz wrote:

1. They offer dry camp, 30 amp and 50 amp. No prob dry camping for us but what do you prefer?
2. Anyone stay outside the rally and buy day passes?
3. Any prob leaving a well behaved dog in coach when attending seminars?
4. Any prob getting toad out on demand?
5. How about the seminars? Are they usually full?

Any other advice? Thanks.
jor

1) Prefer SOME real electricity
2) that sucks
3) You know the dog. We left our AC running (Genset)and had no prob.
4) We didnt have a toad at the time
5) Many are full...get in early
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape