Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bike rack that will fit Roadtrek with Continental Spare Tire

DoubleVeteran
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I want to get a bike rack that holds two bikes for my 2011 Roadtrek 190-Popular. It has the Continental Spare Tire kit mounted to the rear on the driver's side and it sticks out about 10" from the rear bumper.

I want to get the type of bike rack that mounts to the trailer hitch receiver, but it needs to clear the spare tire mounted on the back. Looking for recommendations....thnx!

DV
7 REPLIES 7

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Do you need access to the rear of your coach when you stop? I keep my power cord, water and sewer hoses in the back so I need to open the doors. I finally coughed up the $$$ for a Yakima SwingDaddy and I'm really glad I did. It swings to the passenger side so I would expect it would avoid issues with your spare tire and you can just use the outer bike holder.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
We have two different solutions.

First, we installed a 2" front mounted receiver on our PW Lexor (Chevrolet based). It did require a bit of work on the fascia, but, it looks like it came from the factory that way. So, a bike rack on the front is one solution.

Second, we use an extension in the factory rear receiver and the bike rack in the extension.

Either way, there's some measuring to do, then some measuring again, and then a third time to be SURE before those greenbacks go sailing out the door (or is that now, skittering across the airwaves).

We can't use bike covers when they're up front; but covers work fine on the rear.

Cheers.

Greg_G
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Roadtrek 210 Popular with a 2" hitch receiver. I have been researching bike racks. (Our current fold-down platform rack is no longer suitable.) I want a lighter, vertical-style hitch rack. I am looking at the Swagman 1,2, or 3 bike rack (64152-2), which comes with a 14" hitch bar, still too short to clear the spare tire. It's been suggested to me that all I'd need is a Curt 8" hitch bar extender for 2" receivers. Does anyone have experience with this particular configuration?

DoubleVeteran
Explorer
Explorer
Thnx all for the great responses!

I'm going to buy the bike rack and since I only have the one bike, I will try removing the hardware for the inside bike holder and see if that will clear the spare tire. If not, I'll go for a hitch extension.

DV

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
I believe Thule has (or used to have) what you need. (Expensive.)

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
There are numerous bike carriers for your hitch. Etrailer, northern tool, harbor freight all carry them. Most also have hitch extensions available if you dont have quite enough clearance.
Harbor freight had the carriers for $40 and if needed the extension for $18

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
The Swagman brand of carriers has multiple mounting holes and easily sticks out that much. It's also very strong - mines been bouncing down the road for more than a decade.