cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Tank Odor

The_Works
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a used 2013 Winnebago Meridian MH about 6 months ago and I can not get the odor from the black tank from getting into the bathroom when we flush the toilet. I have flushed the tank thoroughly several times and just about every time I dump. I've added smelling packets to the tank and I add a liquid break down stuff I purchase from Walmart to the tank after flushing. We've driven 7K miles and during our travels I've left water and tank cleaner in about 1/3 of the tank thinking the sloshing around of the cleaner and water will clean the tank out but it hasn't. I'm thinking about getting a shop vac on the roof and try and blow air down the vent pipe but other than that I'm out of ideas and this is why I'm putting this out, what can I do!!? We full time and currently are work camping. Thanks for your helpful suggestions. Be safe out there.
15 REPLIES 15

db7512
Explorer
Explorer
Research the geo cleaning method. I use this method about every four or five dumps and I have had no odor problems. You may have a build up from the previous owner and it may take several cleanings or use a commercial tank cleaning service.
2016 Newmar Ventana
2016 Ford Edge

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
i used rid for septic tanks in my r.v. had no issues at all. had the r.v. for over 10 years about half of that i was full timing.

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
You'll deffinately want to make sure the vent pipe doesn't have a nest or something in it, blocking air flow. Also make sure it doesn't have any broken connections, sometimes builders forget to glue pipe connections together.

It's impossible to eliminate smell completely, and the human nose is very very very sensitive to the smell of fecal matter.

Avoid having any vent fans on when you flush, they will draw air down the vent pipe, through the black tank and out the toilet. When the wind is just right, even having the skylight open in my bathroom is enough to draw air from the toilet.
X-2, on the vent pipe.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
TNGW1500SE wrote:
The Works wrote:
....I'm thinking about getting a shop vac on the roof and try and blow air down the vent pipe.....

Make sure you are hooked to a sewer and the valve is open!

Make sure the shop vac hose is on exhaust and not vacuum..!..:E:E:E....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
The Works wrote:
....I'm thinking about getting a shop vac on the roof and try and blow air down the vent pipe.....

Make sure you are hooked to a sewer and the valve is open!

If you have access to a larger than RV water heater. Add 30 gallons of hot water and a gallon of bleach. Drive to slosh and dump it. Hot water works best. Some people say ice works but i don't see it happening.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
To take care of the immediate problem you will want to locate a product called Happy Camper. This WILL kill the odors in your black tank like no other product I have ever found.
That's just a band-aide for the actual problem. If you are running an exhaust fan when flushing and you notice the smell coming in then your vent is clogged. If you don't have windows open and the exhaust fan is not running and you still have the smell coming up through the toilet dump hole (yes, you need to sniff around) then you have a serious problem which, again, might be related to the vent.
A normal black tank without any chemicals at all should not allow noticeable smells back into the RV. Not knowing what has been in the tank in the past also leaves areas where some additional steps might be required. If you can find a service called All Pro Water Flow http://www.allprowaterflow.com/ have them return your tanks to factory clean and go from there.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like lots of work. Just get a Glade plugin for the bathroom and practice exhaling while you flush.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Billinwoodland
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at the vent tube as others have said. I don't bother putting any chemicals in our black tank anymore, and we dont have any odor at all. About the only additive I might add is a digest-ant if there is debris that is not dumping, and occasionally ice.
2008 Monaco Monarch 34 sbd

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
TechWriter wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
Drain your black tank completely, then add a gallon of bleach and about 10 gallons of water and go for a nice bumpy curvy ride for about 20 minutes. Return and dump the tank. Now, flush the tank to get rid of the bleach. Your odors will be gone.

x2

And add a couple bags of ice to help know down any solids that have pertified inside.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Drain your black tank completely, then add a gallon of bleach and about 10 gallons of water and go for a nice bumpy curvy ride for about 20 minutes. Return and dump the tank. Now, flush the tank to get rid of the bleach. Your odors will be gone.

x2
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
we use Campa-Chem by Thetford. We buy it at Walmart. In hot weather, put in double the amount. For example if it says 8oz we put in 16oz in hot weather.

Also no windows open while driving when flushing, no vent fans going when flushing.
let the tank fill almost full before dumping. There may be "stuff" up near the top of the tank that the chemicals need to reach.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use plenty of water when flushing and close the valve as soon as it's out. The longer you hold the valve open the more fumes will come out. Might try closing the lid when you flush. Make sure bathroom exhaust fan is not running when flushing as it will draw in from the tank.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
You are likely on the right track. The vent may well be plugged by some industrious, but well meaning, creatures! You could also try a plumbers snake.

Vic
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.