cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Tank Valve/Discharge Under Coach Rather Than In A Bay?

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at an '08 Coachmen 2310QB and I see that the black tank valve and discharge outlet is hanging underneath the coach rather than inside a compartment like others I've seen. My concern is how vulnerable it looks to being busted by something. Like backing into a parking space and hitting it on the curb or driving over a big rock while boondocking, etc.

Am I being concerned needlessly? Thanks.
16 REPLIES 16

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2018 F. River Sunseeker class C has its dump valve inside its own compartment .

lancewgurel
Explorer
Explorer
My 26' 2000 Jamboree is inside a 'basement' compartment. My questions is: how do the exterior tank dumps work in freezing weather. We travel in ours in the winter, and we run a 60 watt droplight in there when the outside temps fall below 25.

EMD360
Explorer
Explorer
I worried about the exposed tank valves on our new Minnie Winnie. Our Itasca valve was inside a compartment and I could keep the hose and connections in there too. Very convenient. But it appears this feature has morphed from Winnie’s to Foresters. One benefit of the exposed valve is that more types fittings are possible at the valve. The Itasca had a sharp angle from the opening to the valve and the tube we had was flexible enough to make the connection but I tried a newer tube and it didn’t work.
2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
In many years of working on RV's of various configurations, the only undercarriage dump valve setups I've repaired other than the typical location independent leaking valves were ones where the owner backed over a high curb or rock, etc.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having the dump tube and valve underneath is a common setup. All of my previous units had the tube/valves underneath. My current mh has the tube and valves contained inside protected from the elements possible damage. HOWEVER terminating a sewer pipe inside a mh brings with it it’s own set of problems should something go wrong, and can make replacing a failing valve a real chore.

More than one person has been welcomed by a rush of poo from a leaky (or insufficiently closed) valve when removing the end cap.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
As a FYI, Forest River Sunseeker and Forester Class C's built since the 2010 or so timeframe have compartment-enclosed dump valves. My '11 also has a removable screw cap in the floor of the nyloplast compartment floor to run a stinky slinky through for full hook-up connection routing. The black and gray tanks themselves are located above the chassis frame and the bedroom/bathroom floor(s), in the mid to rear section of the house in a step-up area inside.

So, there are at least a few C's out there
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

Jedidad
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Every Class C I've seen (including mine) have this arrangement, the only RV's I've seen with the dump in a Bay, are Class A's...

Ah, you're right. I've been primarily looking at Class A's recently.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
With rare exception, I've always seen Class C's valves under the body, not in any compartment.

The main issues will be if you're dragging or plowing the rear. In that case, you could damage the valves and pipes but it may be the only way to get out of the bogged down mess you'll be in.

Also as bobndot said, watch those parking curbs when backing.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be careful if you back into a parking spot with a curb.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Every Class C I've seen..." That's my view also.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Every Class C I've seen (including mine) have this arrangement, the only RV's I've seen with the dump in a Bay, are Class A's, I suppose there may be others.
As far as boondocking, this is the very reason I don't do it, fear of ripping something off, dump valve, main exhaust tail pipe, Generator exhaust pipe, at 9 1/2 inches of ground clearance, and a few other low hanging items.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never known anybody to have issues with clearance due to this arrangement, that rig you are interested in is 15 years old and black tank outlet it is still intact. With that age of motorized RV there are more critical areas to be concerned about, with 100s of thousands of RVs with that arrangement for dumping it is really a non issue for the vast majority.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your axles are lower than those valves.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Probably all toy haulers and bumper pull and 5th wheel trailers have this arrangement. I would also bet that 70 - 80 percent of class C's also have this arrangement.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup