cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Braking Conundrum

Sonny54
Explorer II
Explorer II
God willing, my wife and I plan to purchase our first Class A next year. We've done tons of research and know what we want as far as size, layout, etc. We think we might prefer diesel over gas. The problem is: I have never operated an air brake, and I have no idea at all about how it works. I don't wish to buy, then learn, and that would make us lean toward a gas coach.

Perhaps someone can relieve my ignorance here. ๐Ÿ™‚
119 REPLIES 119

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Gib3633 wrote:

The number one reason for air brake vehicles being grounded at scales is brakes out of adjustment.

In Canada must all airbrake coaches go to the scales? down here we don't.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Reading the last 3 posts, one would have to believe they don't have their coaches maintained regularly.
It doesn't get scary until when the pedal is pushed and the coach doesn't stop.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
My CDL has a bake adjustment endorsement. BUT: It is not recommended that anyone without a HD mechanic's license adjust air brakes. If they are out of adjustment there is something wrong with the system. But one can check the stroke length. Near impossible on the rear axle of a MH. Even the fronts on many are hard to do due to ground clearance. I would bet that some of the posters do not know how to do a "6 pack" brake adjustment ( does not apply to disc brakes).

Moisheh

I agree completely and yes brake adjustments are to be done by a Mechanic.
But not having any knowledge of the system you would not know this or even that your brakes can get out of adjustment.
Just having blind faith that pushing the peddle will make you stop is scary!
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
My CDL has a bake adjustment endorsement. BUT: It is not recommended that anyone without a HD mechanic's license adjust air brakes. If they are out of adjustment there is something wrong with the system. But one can check the stroke length. Near impossible on the rear axle of a MH. Even the fronts on many are hard to do due to ground clearance. I would bet that some of the posters do not know how to do a "6 pack" brake adjustment ( does not apply to disc brakes).

Moisheh

Gib3633
Explorer
Explorer
WOW
I've read all 9 pages and the answers you have gotten are unbelievable.
I am also Canadian with a lot of American friends , so rather than try and convince anyone the importance of an air brake coarse I would like to share a very important truth.
The number one reason for air brake vehicles being grounded at scales is brakes out of adjustment. However all air brake vehicles built since 1995 come equipped with automatic slack adjusters.
They are very reliable but you don't know that if you don't know how to check them and their individual values. I will quit here as I'm not crazy about being insulted for holding an airbrake endorsed license.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Charles: EXCELLENT advice!!

Moisheh

I agree also!
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
I just completed a 2000 mile trip yesterday. I was amazed by the extremes of driver courtesy I witnessed. Some truckers would signal that I was clear, others (most) did not. I rarely missed signalling a truck he was past, except when one decided o pull in so close it was BRAKE TIME. When I was signaled in, I did flash a thank you. As for cars, Many seem to think you can stop on a dime with nine cents change, but a few were nice enough to signal I was clear. On a few occasions I had to stand on the brakes when someone decided MERGE means accelerate at a really slow rate in a travel lane instead of in the entry lane. Lots of lane available they just wanted in NOW. Can;t risk being behind the big bus thingie! All in all it keeps you awake!
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Charles: EXCELLENT advice!!

Moisheh

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Bendix has an online training school. I think anyone is free to sign up, create an account and watch courses.

http://www.brake-school.com/public/course/

Scroll to the very bottom line for systems training.

Anyone driving an air brake equipped vehicle would do well to watch courses on the air brake operation and system.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would add that DP don't have easy lifting points.
My old conversion had huge dent from jack under side doorstep, but Prevost is unibody what makes it even trickier.
When you can support engine frame, be very careful where you put stands under sides or front.
Also check stands for rating. I had 5 tons HD stand that split under one corner of my 15t coach with no visible resistance.
My preferable way was driving on 12" wide planks, but that takes lot of wood.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
Mr.Mark wrote:

To the OP, never, ever, get under a coach with a chassis air system without chocking the tires and blocking the frame. If an air line were to give-way, you will be crushed if you are under the coach.

Explain this to me? The loss of air defaults to setting brakes, not releasing, unless you describing something different.

I should have explained myself a little better. If a person were to get under the coach and hear air coming out of a line thinking it was an air brake line and 'mess with it', it might be a suspension line and the coach could come crashing down.

Safety is number one.

So, the OP (including all if us) would need to know the 'whole' coach and it's air systems and how they work.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Mark is referring to a coach with air bag suspension as a side note to air brakes.
Ah, Ok, that make sense. I was focused on brakes.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mark is referring to a coach with air bag suspension as a side note to air brakes.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:

To the OP, never, ever, get under a coach with a chassis air system without chocking the tires and blocking the frame. If an air line were to give-way, you will be crushed if you are under the coach.

Explain this to me? The loss of air defaults to setting brakes, not releasing, unless you describing something different.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's absolutely imperative that a driver understands, to some degree, how EVERYTHING works mechanically on a coach including the air brakes. Am I ever going to fix anything?, no. But, I like to know how everything works so that I will understand what the mechanic is suggesting and know if he is giving me a line or the truth. (And, I'm learning ALL the time!)

In an emergency, Air brakes can be 'caged' if you have one that has failed (the diaphragm) to get you off the side of the road.

Some coaches have jake-brakes, pac-brakes and we have a retarder that works a little different. A retarder, on ours, has six settings and can be used manually with the stalk or, I can leave the system on and it will automatically engage when I apply the service brakes. All of the systems work well but I like the retarder better than the two-stage type like we had on our Dynasty.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins