Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Busted shock absorber mount, Safe to Drive home

mexicanpiloto13
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi,
We have a 1998 Monaco Dynasty rig 40 ft. long, and a few years ago, I upgraded the shock absorbers from the Bilsteins to adjustible KONI shocks. Seems I read somewhere the the Monaco shock mounts weren't very strong and boy, that was the truth. As we would adjust our rig at campgrounds, using the auto airbag leveling, we started having the mounts break off when the rig was lowered. One by one, we must have had most of them re-welded and beefed up, curing the problem. We are now two thousand miles from home, and one of the two mounts for the rear dual tires just broke off. Looks like no damage was caused but the upper mount is just hanging there. My question, is "is it safe for us to drive home with just one shock absorber working on that tire? the upper mount is hard to reach and would require a welder to have a pit to get in there an access it correctly. Also, do these big truck stops like Pilot and Flying J have a welding shop that could do it. We are near Charleston, W. Virginia and will be traveling back to Phoenix, on I-40. Thanks
13 REPLIES 13

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
When driving down the road the airbags support the load not the shocks. shocks just dampen the ride. Like said you will be fine to drive it that way.
I had air leveling on my Imperial and Billsten shocks and never had a problem no matter how low I let it go. There must be a difference in the Koni shocks.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, no shock or shock mount is designed to hold the whole weight of a corner (or even half a corner for an 8 bag/8 shock chassis) of a coach.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

mexicanpiloto13
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Monaco coach we have came with bilstein shocks. We replaced them with adjustible Koni shocks to get a better ride. I had read that the Monaco shock mounts weren't as strong as they should be to handle the Koni shock absorbers and other coach owners were having themounts break off. I think the real problem is the air bag leveling system, which sometimes takes the coach very low and puts a lot more pressure on the Monaco shock mounts. That's when we have experienced a shock breaking off the mount is when we drop the coach too low to level it out. We have since had the last one re-welded and beefed up by Spectrac suspension in Mesa, AZ. I did remove the broken shock in West virginia and drove all the way back to Arizona without it. It was dangling around and I thought it might 'Pop" the airbag so removed it for safety. All is attached and rewelded now. Thanks for all the super comments. By the way, speaking of airbags, I was in Freightliner this week and they recommend air bag replacement every 15 years. for a class A, it's a huge job, can take 2 days and cost $2500. They also have to order the bags in advance. Not the kind of procedure you want to have done while out on vacation.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
You suggest that you have broken more than one shock mount when lowering your coach. That would indicate the shocks are too long. Maybe you were sold the wrong shocks.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I have driven without shocks thanks. It really wasn't much different driving around. Like I said, panic stops and what not there's a difference.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
KD4UPL wrote:
I'd remove the shock and drive it. You probably won't even notice. Shocks help the vehicle ride nicely but have little to do with actually moving down the road, stopping, and turning. If your in really extreme situations on crazy twisty roads, high speed maneuvers, panic stops, etc. you might notice. It still shouldn't be an issue.

Well why don't you take your shocks off and see how you truck drives?

While one isn't all it will affect handling.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I'd remove the shock and drive it. You probably won't even notice. Shocks help the vehicle ride nicely but have little to do with actually moving down the road, stopping, and turning. If your in really extreme situations on crazy twisty roads, high speed maneuvers, panic stops, etc. you might notice. It still shouldn't be an issue.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
doc brown wrote:
I would get it welded asap. It's quick, cheap considering possibilities and there are plenty of places to get a weld job. Any truck repair facility including Loves and Flying J. Just call around first.

X2
With the other doing twice the work likely to break that mount also!

The remaining shock will likely travel a bit further on bumps with the reduced dampening, but there's no additional load on it otherwise.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
doc brown wrote:
I would get it welded asap. It's quick, cheap considering possibilities and there are plenty of places to get a weld job. Any truck repair facility including Loves and Flying J. Just call around first.

X2
With the other doing twice the work likely to break that mount also!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I doubt that a missing rear shock will cause much problem but I would carefully take it for a test drive and see if it bothers. JMOP
Ed
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Your call, but I see nothing wrong with driving home with that shock in the basement (removed from it mount). Might have a little more motion, but don't see that as an issue unless you are on one of those roads where you will already experience a lot of motion.

Said another way, avoid any terrible roads, and doubt you will even notice it.

But, also have no problem, IF you have the time, to get it repaired before the drive.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would probably remove the shock or fasten it out of the way so it does not hit the floor above. Three/axle is fine. Guess I'll leave the shocks alone on my 04 Dynasty.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox