cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying a Class A in USA

Dogdad58
Explorer
Explorer
We are Canadians who will be wintering in the US. We are considering upgrading our TT to a smaller Class A and bringing it home to Canada as prices, even with exchange, and selection are better down south. Does anyone have experience with this process? Any major pitfalls?

Thanks,
Grant and Carol
9 REPLIES 9

jsr21
Explorer
Explorer
One more crucial point...it must have a clear readable federal tag/compliance label.
This label would be provided by the coach manufacturer (not the chassis). It states GWRS, GAWRs, date of manufacture, this vehicle conforms to blah at date of manufacture, etc.
If the label is missing and the manufacturer is still in business..you could get a new label or the info put on the manufacturer letterhead.

If the manufacturer is outta business (ex National)..you got big problems and the coach would not be allowed to stay in Canada (if it made it across the border..cuz you need a date of manufacture for the form 1) and you'd have to export
it back to the USA.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
vic46: It does not matter if you bought your unit from a private person, a US dealer or Obama. GST is always due!! Period!!!

Moisheh

michelb
Explorer
Explorer
As long as you do your homework, it's not very difficult.

Admissibility : as vic46 mentioned, you need to make sure that the model you want to bring is admissible (http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/Section5_1.htm)

Recall letter : Make sure you can get the customs recall letter. RIV says that for models with multiple manufacturers (e.g. mhs), you need a recall clearance from each manufacturer but in my experience, the last 2 or 3 I imported, I only got it from the chassis manufacturer (you probably want to confirm with RIV what they'll ask for (try to get it in writing)). This will affect the models you can get. E.g. Last time I asked and I don't think it's changed since, you could no longer import a Country Coach (even though they are admissible) because the chassis is built by CC Inc and CC Corp cannot gave recall clearance letters. Similarly, if RIV says you need the recall clearance letter from both chassis manufacturer and house manufacturer, that would rule out a bunch of out of business manufacturers. Most companies will give this free but some do charge for it (I think GMC charges $250) however instead of getting a Recall Clearance letter, you can also get a printout from the service system at the dealership (e.g. GM) showing no outstanding warrants and RIV should accept that (also confirm this with RIV).

US Border : You need to export the vehicle from the US before you import into Canada. Some US POE accept faxes, some (e.g. Buffalo) even accept just an email with the VIN but many POEs require the actual signed title. They also need this information a minimum of 72 hours before you cross the border and most only process exports Mon-Fri during business hours (I believe some may not include Sat-Sun in those 72 hours so check with the POE). There cannot be any liens showing on the title (or if there are I believe you need a discharge letter by the lienholder).

Canadian Border : You need to import the vehicle into Canada before they'll allow you to cross the border. This is a pretty simple process; go in, fill out some paperwork, pay $200 fee + $100 A/C tax + GST on purchase price.

Canadian Tire : Once you import the vehicle, you need to bring it to Canadian Tire (or a few other authorized garage) where they'll check the compliance (basically make sure you have DRLs, KM/H indicators on your speedometer, check the VIN and if everything is okay, they'll stamp it and then you can register it in Canada.

Insurance : this probably varies a lot depending on the company but my insurance (Cooperators) covered me for a maximum of 6 months (we weren't returning to Canada until the spring).

Tax : Most states don't charge tax on purchases for export but some do. Some charge only for dealers purchase, not private. Etc. You need to check the rules in the State you are looking at purchasing.

Temp permit : Different states have different rules on temp permits. Most have them, some don't. Most are available to Canadians but not all (e.g. in Arkansas, only US residents can get a temp permit). Some will make you pay the State tax on the vehicle if you want a temp permit.

Branded titles : There are a lot of limitations regarding importing vehicles with branded titles (e.g. rebuilt, flood, theft recovery, etc) so you'll need to do a lot more research if that's what you are looking at.

bobmacc
Explorer
Explorer
I have purchased two motorhomes in the US. Best advice is to fully understand the RIV process and limit your reliance on advice here (mine included !!) as not all offered here is correct. "Icechip" has offered good advice.
Things to consider:
Recall Clearance letters - get the dealer to provide these to you as part of the purchase from the MH and chassis manufacturers.
Insurance - it is unlikely your Canadian insurer will want you using a new RV in the US for very long - they will only want to insure it for 7 or 14 days for you to get it home.
The Border - need to fax the title to US Customs per the RIV process and pay GST at Canadian customs - that's all they care about. You need to have DRLs installed for the Cdn Tire inspection - they don't care at the border.
You can trade a motorized RV in (I did) but you will need to legally import it into the US through US Customs and have multiple declarations completed - all made even more complex because you are not a US Citizen and are not relocating your residence. You will likely get more for a trade in Canada than the US anyway and do better with a dealer on a "no trade" transaction.
The Canadian import process is very simple and the CTC RIV inspection is very limited and little beyond DRLs, tire pressure and speedo labeling. If you trade in the US, you will still pay sales tax at registration on the full value on return - not the net difference at least in Ontario - another incentive not to trade in the US.
Be sure to buy in a state that does not collect state sales tax if the RV is leaving the state or you will lose that amount. Remember, the RIV document is your best friend - follow it to the letter and you will have no issues.

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
make sure your new RV is in compliance with Canadian safety regs. Only thing that comes to mind is daylight running lights. Note the border people will not check/test/inspect your RV for compliance, they want a specific hunk of paperwork from a real shop that says "the work is done"

Don't assume either.

We had a 1999 fleetwood that had DRL's, but our current '08 Monaco does not.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

new_brunswick
Explorer
Explorer
I was just wondering if any Canadians that purchased a rv in US had a trade in if so how did it go or is it better to sell yours home first.
Tks Joe

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
Start here:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safevehicles/importation/usa/vafus/list2/Section5_1.htm

If purchasing through a dealer they should deal with the import issues however, it is in your best interest to know the process. Showing up at the border with the ducks out of control will be a real problem. If purchased from a dealer GST is due. If purchased "privately" no GST.

The CRS and RIV sites have all the information. Real important document is the certification that all recalls have been completed.
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

icechip
Explorer
Explorer
Start here http://www.riv.ca/importingavehicle.aspx
Once you have found your vehicle and determined the vehicle is admissible and purchased contact M.P.I. and have them fax you a temporary registration. Do not accept a temp plate from a dealer. Send or fax a copy of the title and bill to the US Customs office - likely Pembina before you arrive. Call them for the lead time required or stop in on your way down and get all the info, fax numbers etc. Stop at the US Customs on your return and have them do their part. Drive to the Canadian side, fill out forms, pay GST and then follow RIV requirements.
You should make your purchase on the way home as you will only have temp insurance for a short time.

robatthelake
Explorer
Explorer
If You follow the rules and pay attention to the requirements there will be no problems!

the Bonus...One heck of a a lot less cost to You!
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..07 Honda CRV AWD