cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
While researching these pages for my next Motor Home I saw a few threads discussing Rentals, most were Pros and Cons but very few posts from people who had purchased one.

I thought it may be a good resource and helpful to hear from these people. The good, the bad, what they liked and what they didnโ€™t. Also if they had any problems, things they changed, if they would recommend this to others or do it again.

Here is my story: I am not a novice, having owned a Class A for more than 15 years and doing the camping thing with my wife and two daughters, I can say โ€œbeen there done thatโ€ But life changes, and I sold everything so I have been away from this for several years. Starting over I lurked here for a while and got a lot of good insight then went looking.

My criteria was: A Class C within by budget, less than 30 feet so I can keep it at home, saving storage $, a rear bed, and a lot of storage space.

What fit that was Winnebago, Fleetwood and a few others, what I found mostly was Jamboree / Tioga 26Q. In the year models 2002 thru 2006. I did my home work looking at NADA and other sites to find the fair prices for the models that I was looking for.

After several months of searching the internet, Craigslist, private ads and Dealerships for a Class C that suited my budget and needs, this is what I found. Of the dozen or so I inquired about.Most were upsidedown in their payments, owing more than they were worth. All were on Ford Chassis, 7 needed tires, all had the original 7 to 10 year old tires, and they all needed repair of the awning and most needed some work inside or out and the maintenance records were sketchy, but most had low mileage. The Dealerships offerings were better but they had a profit margin to maintain so I got older models within my budget or huge up sales that didnโ€™t work for me.

My next step was looking at the rental market for sales. In my area there are 2 large companies that have rental sales, Cruise America and El Monte RV,who also sell Class A RVs.

First up was El Monte RV Their units are production RVs that are made by major manufactures, with TV antennas and hookups inside and out, Ducted A/C and heat, 2 house batteries, a rear ladder and parts are readily available from those manufactureโ€™s. I looked at their web site and it detailed their warranty and what was checked and serviced by their factory trained technicians. The unit I looked at was like new inside, the upholstery on all the seats was new as was the floor mat in the driverโ€™s area, it had a new mattress, still in plastic and a new bedspread. All of the curtains were new also. Newer (2010 mfg date) tires with 98% rubber and the mileage was ninety thousand (90,000).

Then there was Cruise America: Their units that I looked at seemed to be Spartan,no TV antenna or hookups for one,non-ducted A/C,small counter space and only one battery, no rear ladder for inspection and maintenance of roof and built just for them, they were all โ€œrefreshedโ€ their words not mine. They offered extended warranties at a huge cost. All had high mileage, one hundred and thirty thousand (130,000) or more and the price range seemed a little high. The sales staff had a take it or leave it attitude and were not very forthcoming when asked about maintenance records and service,they claim to have proprietary info in those records,It doesn't seem to be a problem for El Monte RV.

At El Monte RV I took a test ride; This Unit was a 2006 Tioga 26Q on a Chevrolet Chassis it rode
Drove and handled much better than the Fords that I had driven. It also had more leg room and was quieter. We got back and I asked about the service and maintenance on it, the salesman, Joey, handed me a 28 page single spaced document asked if I wanted some coffee or something to drink and said โ€œread this and if you have any questions I will answer themโ€.

It detailed everything that was done before and after each rental, the mileage, generator hours and hours billed. Each time it was washed and detailed inside and outside, all fluids were checked and replenished if needed, the holding tanks were washed, LP system was checked for leaks, all torque on wheel lugs were checked, brakes front and rear checked for wear and cracks, pressure in tires, all appliances, generator oil, lights inside and outside, the list goes on and on.

It also listed all oil changes,coolant change,trans service,fuel injector service and cleaning,fuel filters,air filter, new brakes, all repairs and replacements all with date, mileage and time spent in complete detail from day one to when it was pulled from the rental fleet and was refurbished. I have a complete service record on this vehicle.Also the service records on the Onan Generator,all oil changes,air filter and spark plug replacement with hours and date. I negotiated a good deal with them and am very happy with my purchase.

It came with a 1 yr. 12000 mile power train warranty and 30 day on all appliances. It also came with a 28 page maintenance record that detailed everything. Also the original sales packet from Fleetwood with the manual and serial numbers on all appliances,refrigerator, microwave,furnace, AC, water heater, etc. and the manual for the Chassis. I have had no problems with it so far.

(ON EDIT) 5 Years and close to 14000 miles.Just Scheduled Maintenance and new tires,old ones were at the 5 year mark and I wanted new Michelin LTX M/S2s.

There were a few things that it didnโ€™t have as it was a rental and the ones from private parties did have.
โ€ข Power steps, outside Stereo/CD donโ€™t need or want them.
โ€ข An Awning, this I wanted and had installed. A Swivel Seat and a new Window in The Door that I installed.
โ€ข Wheel Simulators, I like the looks so I had them installed and at the same time had Tire Man valve stem kit put on.
โ€ข Replaced the Chinese WFCO with a US Made converter/charger
โ€ข It came with mini blinds and not the day/night that most have, these are more practical and have a lot less failure.
  • It also came with Stainless Steel sinks,easier to maintain than the cheap plastic ones that come in the noncommercial units.

I am very happy with my Rig, it suites my needs and it was in my Budget range, I think I got a good deal.

So if you bought a rental please share your experience here for others to use as a resource.
Or if there are any other questions that have not been covered in these pages, just ask, there are many helpful people on this thread.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
1,715 REPLIES 1,715

cgmartine
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All! I just came back from a two week trip in my 31M class C I recently bought from El Monte. I am here to report on the results, and to allay the fears of those naysayers. The first grueling test was driving thru Oatman, Arizona, and climbing the pass between Oatman and I-40. To say it was the worst road in American is no exaggeration. It probably has not been paved since it was named Route 66, and it looks it. I could drive no faster than 20 mph because of the road conditions, but the Ford V-10 took it all in stride. It was some 60 miles of bone shaking road. The next test was driving up to Lockett Meadows, Arizona. Again, a winding and single lane gravel road that climbs to about 6,500 feet. Again, the engine handled it with easy. The last test was driving between Las Vegas and Pahrump, Nevada. That was a long climb, but the engine handled it well. Now, with over 108,000 miles, the engine still purrs like a kitten. Nothing fell apart, and the fiber glass roof did not leak. I feel that if this motorhome could survive those grueling tests, and I mean, GRUELING, with capital letters, this motorhome can handle anything.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
You welcome, I keep an eye on this thread and help out when I can.

I know that a Chevy based class C is hard to find. If you are looking at El Monte RV you can look at other locations,it seems that more are out west. With a few in Texas.

Just keep looking and good luck.
Buying A Rental Class C

BoxinTheCompass
Explorer
Explorer
thanks Iamichabod!

Love the name, sleepy hollow is one of my favorite stories!

I appreciate the feedback and the links posted there at bottom... very nice of you to respond to kinda old thread

I guess keep eyes open, use common sense and gut feeling. I would feel more comfortable with Chevy platform... but have not seen hardly any for sale around here, but that ford is a workhorse though. I didn't know the ford was rougher ride

Thanks again!

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boxin welcome to the forum.
To answer your questions,if you can do the normal maintenance on a car such as oil and filter changes and the like you will have no trouble doing them on a Class C.

As for the test ride. Take it out on the highway at speed and see how it handles and try to get comfortable with it. The ones on Ford Chassis have had more handling problems than those on Chevy Chassis.

See how comfortable you and your passenger in the cockpit, here again the Chevy Chassis based Class C has more room.

Check and make sure all instrumentation is in working order.

Most of the RVs now days have a Rubber roof, some have fiberglass.

While looking on the roof, look at all the openings, vents and such and make sure that they are sealed with no cracks in the sealant, look for all rips or tears in the roof membrane. Another thing to look for on the outside is any signs of repair such as mismatched paint or a new shiny spot.
Look underneath for any leaks or repairs to the frame or components. Check the age of the tires, if they are over 5 years old tell them that it is not acceptable.

Your Idea of renting to see how you like it is a very good idea.

The only pointers on renting is to ask if they are having any specials,El Monte does have some at times, like extra mileage if booked for more than 3 days and mid week specials.

While considering what to look for, look for the floor plan that will suit your needs. Then see what is in stock at the dealer and what your budget will be, go in and take a test ride, ask for all records on its maintenance, that is a must, then make an offer.
Extended warranties are not a good deal for you, most come with a 1 year one anyway.

If there are any more questions just ask, there are many other folks here that have a wealth of knowledge.
Buying A Rental Class C

BoxinTheCompass
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great posts...I have been considering buying the Cruise America units or El Monte and from posts here am more assured about the used units they sell.

I am not mechanically inclined on truck engines just normal car engines ( oil and filter changes, water pumps, brake jobs, etc) but nothing majorly mechanical... not sure what to look out for on test drive other than excessive heat, vibration, leaks and smoke (rather obvius LOL)) . Anything else I should look out for?

Also what type of roofs do these units have and what do I look for when on ladder looking at the roof? Other than water spots internally what can I look for on outside?

My wife sounds very interested in rv camping, but proof is in the pudding they say how will she react when in the midst of it will tell. I guess the best way is to rent for a week and try it out. Whoยดs good for renting? We will probably rent out of orlando fl and go to disney for short week.

Any suggestions and pointers on the above for renting and what to look for when considering the used cruise america or el monte units?

jetmechtm
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the response. I think I will try it if I go for the Ford majestic 23A. It is hard finding a Chevy. El Monte has run out of my size for the time being. I will just be patient and hopeful for the next 2/3 months until I am ready to ponce. I am really partial to Chevy since I have a GMC Savanna and the manuals.

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you,
I did do a little more research on the situation and found that not only are the frame extensions weaker than the chassis frame but the extensions add leverage and that all the weight you take off the front axle is added to the rear axle on top of the actual weight you hang from the hitch. So adding 400 lbs on the hitch could take 200 lbs off the front and move it to the back so an extra 600 lbs on the rear axle. Which will probably exceed the axle limits. I am beginning to see why this may be unwise.
The unit you pointed me too is in my budget but I am trying to avoid slides. I dont want the hassle of leaks or the extra weight and like the idea of no set up for over nighting but the idea of looking for a shorter unit built on the 450/4500 chassis is a good one.
There is a very long learning curve to this RV stuff and I really want to make sure I get it right the first time because I cant afford a $30,000 mistake.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
adlereins wrote:
I'm back. I got my Tioga back from El Monte RV and here is what they did. Removed, balanced and re-installed complete drive shaft (little over $400), removed and repaired frame on jack knife sofa (was bent), repaired kitchen faucet leak, replaced water pump with new one, installed new rubber grommets on stove grate, replaced reefer shelf and filled gas tank!!
That's it for now and any questions about El Monte RV or a high mileage rental purchase, just let me know.
Take Care,
Al

That is good to hear Al it looks like that they took care of you just as they said they would.
I found another person that had good luck with El Monte RV and their Warranty, they seem to come thru. Click Here for that Thread
Buying A Rental Class C

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mocoondo wrote:
adlereins wrote:
samven1:
You might check this out. I don't know what your budget is but this one looks like it would be a good fit for you.

http://www.elmontervsales.com/class-c/?model=JAMBOREE+SPORT+25G

Take Care,
Al

Those might be a better fit for the kind of towing he is considering. Cruise puts their 23A on the E350/V8 chassis whereas it appears El Monte uses the E450/V10 for a similarly situated unit.

This may make it a little easier to see :B

Click Here
Buying A Rental Class C

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
adlereins wrote:
samven1:
You might check this out. I don't know what your budget is but this one looks like it would be a good fit for you.

Take Care,
Al

Those might be a better fit for the kind of towing he is considering. Cruise puts their 23A on the E350/V8 chassis whereas it appears El Monte uses the E450/V10 for a similarly situated unit.

adlereins
Explorer
Explorer
samven1:

Take Care,
Al

Capt_Storm
Explorer
Explorer
You can sometimes buy hitches for the front of a rv. Not sure if you could carry 400 lbs up there either. Maybe something to look into though.

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
samven1 wrote:
Mocoondo,

Thank-you, I was not aware of that limitation. I guess I was assuming that it would have a higher tow capacity. I knew some C's had a 3500 lb limit and some could go to 5000 lbs

Class C's generally do not have a great deal of towing capacity. As a rule, coaches are heavy to begin with so there is not much excess left once loaded in a normal configuration for traveling. In fact, most people are downright shocked when they have their "loaded for camping" rig weighed. Those who are towing heavier loads with them are likely running outside of manufacturer recommended limitations. This puts a great deal of added wear and tear on the mechanicals and also, subjects the operator to a great deal of liability should an accident occur while operating in excess of manufacturer safe recommendations.

In your case, it is not towing capacity that is the issue, but rather, tongue weight. Hanging something off the tongue that does not touch the ground is 100% tongue weight. Too much tongue weight makes your steer wheels very light. Add a little bit of rain into the equation to slicken the road up and you have the recipe for a potential serious accident.

If you want to safely tow your cycle with a Class C, get a trailer that meets your maximum towing capacity and keeps tongue weight to 10% of your towing capacity and you will be fine.

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
Mocoondo,

Thank-you, I was not aware of that limitation. I guess I was assuming that it would have a higher tow capacity. I knew some C's had a 3500 lb limit and some could go to 5000 lbs and that was one of the reasons I was looking at smaller units without as much rear overhang. I guess I will have to take the 23a off my possible list.
So the search goes on, if anyone knows of a rental model that has a higher tongue weight and still under 26' please let me know.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy

Mocoondo
Explorer II
Explorer II
samven1 wrote:
The carrier weights 80 lbs and the bike is 302 lbs wet so a total of 382 lbs. It is what they call a dual sport which looks like a dirt bike with all the lights and plated for road. I originally bought it for exploring gravel and country roads that I did not want to take the pickup truck down because I can pickup the back end and turn it in its own footprint. I always liked having a backup vehicle when I went into areas were there was poor cell service or looked deserted. As long as I can put a class 3 or 4 hitch on SAFELY I can just add airbags to the rear suspension to take care of sag. I just need to be sure that I dont get too close to GVWR. I always like to leave a good margin of safety and most salespeople will tell you what ever it takes to make the sale.

Not a good idea, to be honest. There is a lot of weight in the back of a 23A. The 23A has a rated towing capacity of 2500# and a 200# maximum tongue weight. You are contemplating almost 400# off the tongue which will make your steer wheels VERY light. I personally would not recommend it.