cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a Former Rental Class C. How many of us out there?

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
While researching these pages for my next Motor Home I saw a few threads discussing Rentals, most were Pros and Cons but very few posts from people who had purchased one.

I thought it may be a good resource and helpful to hear from these people. The good, the bad, what they liked and what they didnโ€™t. Also if they had any problems, things they changed, if they would recommend this to others or do it again.

Here is my story: I am not a novice, having owned a Class A for more than 15 years and doing the camping thing with my wife and two daughters, I can say โ€œbeen there done thatโ€ But life changes, and I sold everything so I have been away from this for several years. Starting over I lurked here for a while and got a lot of good insight then went looking.

My criteria was: A Class C within by budget, less than 30 feet so I can keep it at home, saving storage $, a rear bed, and a lot of storage space.

What fit that was Winnebago, Fleetwood and a few others, what I found mostly was Jamboree / Tioga 26Q. In the year models 2002 thru 2006. I did my home work looking at NADA and other sites to find the fair prices for the models that I was looking for.

After several months of searching the internet, Craigslist, private ads and Dealerships for a Class C that suited my budget and needs, this is what I found. Of the dozen or so I inquired about.Most were upsidedown in their payments, owing more than they were worth. All were on Ford Chassis, 7 needed tires, all had the original 7 to 10 year old tires, and they all needed repair of the awning and most needed some work inside or out and the maintenance records were sketchy, but most had low mileage. The Dealerships offerings were better but they had a profit margin to maintain so I got older models within my budget or huge up sales that didnโ€™t work for me.

My next step was looking at the rental market for sales. In my area there are 2 large companies that have rental sales, Cruise America and El Monte RV,who also sell Class A RVs.

First up was El Monte RV Their units are production RVs that are made by major manufactures, with TV antennas and hookups inside and out, Ducted A/C and heat, 2 house batteries, a rear ladder and parts are readily available from those manufactureโ€™s. I looked at their web site and it detailed their warranty and what was checked and serviced by their factory trained technicians. The unit I looked at was like new inside, the upholstery on all the seats was new as was the floor mat in the driverโ€™s area, it had a new mattress, still in plastic and a new bedspread. All of the curtains were new also. Newer (2010 mfg date) tires with 98% rubber and the mileage was ninety thousand (90,000).

Then there was Cruise America: Their units that I looked at seemed to be Spartan,no TV antenna or hookups for one,non-ducted A/C,small counter space and only one battery, no rear ladder for inspection and maintenance of roof and built just for them, they were all โ€œrefreshedโ€ their words not mine. They offered extended warranties at a huge cost. All had high mileage, one hundred and thirty thousand (130,000) or more and the price range seemed a little high. The sales staff had a take it or leave it attitude and were not very forthcoming when asked about maintenance records and service,they claim to have proprietary info in those records,It doesn't seem to be a problem for El Monte RV.

At El Monte RV I took a test ride; This Unit was a 2006 Tioga 26Q on a Chevrolet Chassis it rode
Drove and handled much better than the Fords that I had driven. It also had more leg room and was quieter. We got back and I asked about the service and maintenance on it, the salesman, Joey, handed me a 28 page single spaced document asked if I wanted some coffee or something to drink and said โ€œread this and if you have any questions I will answer themโ€.

It detailed everything that was done before and after each rental, the mileage, generator hours and hours billed. Each time it was washed and detailed inside and outside, all fluids were checked and replenished if needed, the holding tanks were washed, LP system was checked for leaks, all torque on wheel lugs were checked, brakes front and rear checked for wear and cracks, pressure in tires, all appliances, generator oil, lights inside and outside, the list goes on and on.

It also listed all oil changes,coolant change,trans service,fuel injector service and cleaning,fuel filters,air filter, new brakes, all repairs and replacements all with date, mileage and time spent in complete detail from day one to when it was pulled from the rental fleet and was refurbished. I have a complete service record on this vehicle.Also the service records on the Onan Generator,all oil changes,air filter and spark plug replacement with hours and date. I negotiated a good deal with them and am very happy with my purchase.

It came with a 1 yr. 12000 mile power train warranty and 30 day on all appliances. It also came with a 28 page maintenance record that detailed everything. Also the original sales packet from Fleetwood with the manual and serial numbers on all appliances,refrigerator, microwave,furnace, AC, water heater, etc. and the manual for the Chassis. I have had no problems with it so far.

(ON EDIT) 5 Years and close to 14000 miles.Just Scheduled Maintenance and new tires,old ones were at the 5 year mark and I wanted new Michelin LTX M/S2s.

There were a few things that it didnโ€™t have as it was a rental and the ones from private parties did have.
โ€ข Power steps, outside Stereo/CD donโ€™t need or want them.
โ€ข An Awning, this I wanted and had installed. A Swivel Seat and a new Window in The Door that I installed.
โ€ข Wheel Simulators, I like the looks so I had them installed and at the same time had Tire Man valve stem kit put on.
โ€ข Replaced the Chinese WFCO with a US Made converter/charger
โ€ข It came with mini blinds and not the day/night that most have, these are more practical and have a lot less failure.
  • It also came with Stainless Steel sinks,easier to maintain than the cheap plastic ones that come in the noncommercial units.

I am very happy with my Rig, it suites my needs and it was in my Budget range, I think I got a good deal.

So if you bought a rental please share your experience here for others to use as a resource.
Or if there are any other questions that have not been covered in these pages, just ask, there are many helpful people on this thread.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C
1,715 REPLIES 1,715

CwglIndn
Explorer
Explorer
Still working on the video of the 7pin install, but it's wired now. We just added a Camco stove cover for the Dometic/Atwood stove (Dometic logo front/ Atwood part number underneath) and a Teak cutting board to cover the sink. https://photos.app.goo.gl/WWojEKLBQa1Tu6BYAhttps://photos.app.goo.gl/WWojEKLBQa1Tu6BYA

CwglIndn
Explorer
Explorer
Still working on the video of the 7pin install, but it's wired now. We just added a Camco stove cover for the Dometic/Atwood stove (Dometic logo front/ Atwood part number underneath) and a Teak cutting board to cover the sink.

cencerrita
Explorer II
Explorer II
eldel wrote:
Next question as I try and plan ahead. Any information/opinions about a rear view camera for a 28a? Many of them on the market seem to assume that the vehicle will be prewired with a socket (e.g. sharkfin) which I'm pretty sure CA don't put on their vehicles.

I'm sure there are more ways to get this wrong than right so I'd rather reduce the chances of that.

Hi
I used this combination to fit from my car wireless system to the rear of a 21ft trailer. It is a rear mirrow mounted monitor with 2 inputs for 2 cameras in differnt positions if needed from Amazon $52 and a camera for about 15$. The remote transmitter between them another $15. I was towing a caravan in europe with a right hand drive car leaving the camera on all the time for overtaking. Worked great and not expensive.
rear mirror mounted minitor
www.cencerrita.comNow living in Pembrokeshire, Wales, UK. See our web site for US travels and books www.cencerrita.com

eldel
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome - thanks guys. Exactly what I was looking for.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
eldel wrote:
Next question as I try and plan ahead. Any information/opinions about a rear view camera for a 28a? Many of them on the market seem to assume that the vehicle will be prewired with a socket (e.g. sharkfin) which I'm pretty sure CA don't put on their vehicles.

I'm sure there are more ways to get this wrong than right so I'd rather reduce the chances of that.

I did find a member that did this on his 28A,maybe it will help.

Cruise America 28A Camera Install
Buying A Rental Class C

MtnBikeMarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
eldel wrote:

I went with a wireless system, I forget the name, but one of the first things I did for my 27G with no back window, was buy a wireless camera system from Camping World, my neighbor who used to install car alarms/stereos, helped me (more like I helped him) install it. I mounted the monitor above the rearview mirror, he was able to whip a power harness and wire it (with fuses) directly to the battery and we cut off the cig. plug and hid the wires under the upholstery. The camera on the back is wired for power from the rear top lights...ie I have to have headlights on for the camera to work, but that's fine by me to have day time running lights. I did tilt the camera down so it just catches the rear bumper, for 2 reasons, 1, so I can see as the bumper gets close something, and 2, I usually have my mountain bikes on the back hitch rack, so I like to watch them on the road. I also like the rear mic that picks up your navigator helping you back into the campsite, and you hear them from the monitor's speaker. Plus it will be great when we start towing a car behind. Lastly, it's always on and not just when you're in reverse.
MtnBikeMarty

eldel
Explorer
Explorer

eldel
Explorer
Explorer
@texasvwnut - exactly what I was looking for - thanks much.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
zachcycles Nice to see one of our early contributors,#53 on the list, return with an update,I am sure that it will help others.

Thanks for coming back and showing what you have done to your Former Rental. It great to see that you are enjoying it and have done a really nice upgrade to it.

Keep on sippin and campin......:B
Buying A Rental Class C

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
fadumpt wrote:
We picked up our 2015 yesterday. Smooth process and Jason at the Orlando location was very helpful. They replaced and fixed the few things that we found and the one thing that they could not fix, Jason told us to get repaired and send him the bill. That was the interior dome light and we have since realized that it works with the cab dimmer and can appear off when the dimmer is turned down.

It has a solar panel still on the a/c unit, backup sensors work and hitch has a 4-pin. So far we are happy with it... I think the video from five2go on youtube kind of shows them as almost being brand new and in reality it of course looks like it was used. YMMV of course depending on location.

We were able to get three invoices showing some previous repairs.

fadumpt. Thanks for coming back and updating your purchase,it sounds like it all went well. I will put on the list of Happy Former Rental Owners you will be #116
Buying A Rental Class C

zachcycles
Explorer
Explorer
Well it has been 5 years since I bought my former rental.  I did what some would consider the most disastrous buy ever... a trifecta of bad... it was a former rental, it was a former Camping World rental, that I bought from, (wait for it) Camping World. They were wrong... all of them in all respects. CW was getting out of the rental business and selling off the fleet of RV's... this one a 2014 Freedom Elite 26T had 46,000 miles, and looked unused. The only thing I could find wrong with it was the shiny spots that were a bit more shiny where the CW rental decals were. I was darn near born in a teardrop trailer 66 years ago and have been RVing ever since... I know RV and knew that at $54k was getting a solid deal. CW added a ladder and manual awning (which I prefer), and a $500 credit at the CW store. CW upgraded many things in their rentals like stainless steel sinks and all metal faucets, woodgrain dash and door accents in the Ford cab and Sony entertainment center. The only out and out failure was a plastic PEX elbow under the kitchen sink... PEX is great stuff but brass fittings are the only way to go. It's time for tires, the chassis battery needed replacing last year and I just went to two Lithium Ion batteries for the coach. Other than that I've been fixing up my fort as I like it a bit at a time. Just finished a major change in the bath brought on by hitting my head on the medicine cabinet while bending over the sink tooooo many times. Started out to change only that, wound up doing a major change that looks better and doubled storage.  

Click For Full-Size Image.

Other things done:
  • upgraded converter for Li batts
  • added Victron battery usage meter
  • lighter interior paint
  • removed some interior blind surrounds
  • LED lighting and nicer fixtures to get rid of the 'light pods from he77
  • installed higher quality air admittance valves under the sinks
  • changed out leaky OEM tailights for Bargman triple LED units
  • swapped out OEM TV with 12volt Vizio model
  • installed extend a stay for propane tank
  • upgraded galley exhaust hood for one that actually moves air
  • swapped out OEM Tstat with digital home type

And of course all the maintenance work these things require. I use it every month of the year, usually in the high Sierra or over in the Sonoma Coast area. No regrets and I'd buy another rental in a minute... at my age though, they may bury me in this one ๐Ÿ˜‰Click For Full-Size Image.
Whether out in the motor home or just sittin n sippin a fine whiskey, my mind wanders these daze. I'm ok with this...

texasvwnut
Explorer
Explorer
eldel wrote:
MtnBikeMarty - 10mpg - luxury ๐Ÿ™‚ Our previous rig was a 30ft TT towed with a 2500 Yukon. The one with the 8.1 V8. Out here in Colorado I would get 6 mpg if I kept my foot light.

I think I'll take the accepted wisdom and not bother with the warranties.

I am getting the awning. It's $950 fitted which I think is a reasonable deal. I certainly couldn't do much better with a 3rd party and it would take me extra hassle.

Question for a wider audience - does anyone have any recommendations (+ve or -ve) for RV guys in the Denver area that I could pay to come along to the check out?

Derek

Derek - I'm in the process of getting a CA rig from the Denver office and used www.amayzin.com to do my inspection. They've done previous inspections at the Denver office and arranged a time to go by and sent me the results of the inspection within 24 hours of completion. It was a pain free process.
2016 Thor Majestic 23A
Ex Cruise America RV Rental

fadumpt
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up our 2015 yesterday. Smooth process and Jason at the Orlando location was very helpful. They replaced and fixed the few things that we found and the one thing that they could not fix, Jason told us to get repaired and send him the bill. That was the interior dome light and we have since realized that it works with the cab dimmer and can appear off when the dimmer is turned down.

It has a solar panel still on the a/c unit, backup sensors work and hitch has a 4-pin (Edit: that the end was cut off of). So far we are happy with it... I think the video from five2go on youtube kind of shows them as almost being brand new and in reality it of course looks like it was used. YMMV of course depending on location.

We were able to get three invoices showing some previous repairs.

7/17/2020 Edit:
It took about 4 weeks to receive the rental car reimbursement.
We also received a check a few days ago for the bad outlet that we sent a picture of and let our sales person know it was damaged and we had bought a new one.
Working with the warranty department has been painless so far.
The sofa was damaged and they shipped one up to a nearby RV center and we are scheduled to get that replaced.
The front end had some issues and the local Ford dealer is replacing some tie rods, steering stabilizer (although we have a roadmaster that we'll install when we get it back from the shop) and a bulb in the right headlight, as well as sending it for an alignment before we get it back.

7/12/2020 Edit:
Here is a picture from our first trip with it.
Parked at the Camden Battlefield for lunch.
2015 Thor Majestic 28A
Ex Cruise America Rental

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
eldel wrote:
Yet another CA about to be purchaser. Put the deposit down - should pick up the 28A in about a month. Just thought I'd say thanks to all the folks that have put so much good info into this thread.

Welcome to the Forum,also a future member of the Former Rental Owners Club.

I Know that this thread is long but there is wealth of information contributed by our Forum members,hopefully it has been helpful to you,also maybe answered some of your questions.

When you pick your unit please come on back and share your experiences on the purchase and your comments on how it went and what you liked or didn't.

Again Welcome to the Forum and I can't wait to hear back form you after the purchase.
Buying A Rental Class C

MtnBikeMarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
cencerrita wrote:
When i made the opening above the water tank at the bed end i cut the maximum size possible between the existing frame supports. Allowing for the following. This was 3 seperate openings + one on the drivers side.

On top of the water tank i glued down pieces of foam packing from a parcel and laid a thin ply sheet over it. Then i made sure the front height of the panel was about 2 inches above this to stop the shoes coming out. This then gave me a great shoe storage area and access to the winerising connection for the antifreeze connection.

look at https://cencerrita.com/winterise.htm for photos before the shoe storage was complete but it shows the tank access made. . email me if you want a phoot of the finish
footlooserv@cencerrita.com

Thanks Cencerrita, I like your idea of cutting the access panel to get to the water tank valve, pump, etc. And the link to the winterizing info, fortunately living in sunny warm/hot AZ and we're not planning on any cold camping, I don't worry winterizing mine...lol But excellent info if I ever do. Thanks! MtnBikeMarty