cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying a Roadtrek CS - any advice?

bobbermac
Explorer
Explorer
We haven't started to negotiate a price yet, so looking for suggestions please.
23 REPLIES 23

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Our HOA by laws luckily specify that vans are permitted. And it probably helps deflect attention that we have a deep front yard and park back by the garage.

But it's certainly true that HOA interpretations can change with the slate of officers. This whole topic is visited about once a year on this forum in great detail.

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
"every HOA is different."

I agree, until someone complains and it is in writing. Then all bets are off.

Bud

smoline
Explorer
Explorer
BudJ wrote:
smoline wrote:
Our HOA has the same prohibition against motorhomes. I told them my vehicle is a Mercedes Benz van. There are no prohibitions against vans. They chose not to argue. You may have a different experience.

Often the HOV bylaws will Define what an RV is. If so, a B will be an RV.

So even if a HOV 'official' says OK verbally, you're unlikely to succeed if someone complains.

Bud

No question that by definition it is an RV. Been in this house for 14 years and this is my third RV (oops; I meant "van"), and each time they accept my rationale that it is simply a van that has appliances in it and I used it as my alternate daily driver. What an HOA doesn't want is a big ugly Class A or Class C sitting in someone's driveway unused and collecting dirt. A small Class B that is regularly used seems to pass muster. Of course, every HOA is different.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Sportsmobile can make you a comparable van to the RT and it will not look like an RV.Good Luck

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
smoline wrote:
Our HOA has the same prohibition against motorhomes. I told them my vehicle is a Mercedes Benz van. There are no prohibitions against vans. They chose not to argue. You may have a different experience.

Often the HOV bylaws will Define what an RV is. If so, a B will be an RV.

So even if a HOV 'official' says OK verbally, you're unlikely to succeed if someone complains.

Bud

smoline
Explorer
Explorer

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
bobbermac wrote:
Well the hurdle now is that our homeowner's Association has said NO!
They won't allow us to park it on the street or in our driveway. I had planned to use it to commute to work daily.

Is it because the van is a motorhome? I know I had a local neighborhood watch near a relative's place start going on about how work vans are prohibited (I was renting a Freightliner branded Sprinter for a project.) I replaced the rear door logo with a Mercedes badge (two Torx screws), and the same woman was around a few days later praising my family for having such good taste in vehicles.

bobbermac
Explorer
Explorer
Well the hurdle now is that our homeowner's Association has said NO!
They won't allow us to park it on the street or in our driveway. I had planned to use it to commute to work daily.

smoline
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a Roadtrek CS Adventurous at an 18% discount, as the others have suggested. I think much of the discounting depends on the dealer's location. Here on the east coast, dealers wouldn't move much below 10%, with a lot of haggling. In the midwest (Ohio, for example), they offered 18% off right from the beginning. Very easy.

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
Their buying a CS.
NADA guides are not very accurate as far as Class B's are concerned, usually their price is much lower than what the Vans are selling for.

NancyLong
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck for buying Roadtrek RS . First of all I want to know which one do you buy used or new RoadTrek RS.
You can also visit this site it may be helpful for you.
http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs

Explorer
Explorer
When we went to buy our Roadtrek we went to three different dealers - each about three hours away from us. We were ordering our RT with the options that we wanted so it would have to come from the factory made for us. Each dealer came up with a different price. Each sat down and punched numbers into a calculator and smiled and said here is the price. Each was below MSRP. The best of the three was about 15-18% less. The lowest priced dealer was the hardest to get to even with the same travel time. I took his price to the dealer that we liked best and presented the price to him (after he had given us his price). He agreed to that price.

If it is on the lot there is a lot more room to haggle. Many dealers don't want to have anything remaining on the lot if the new models will be coming out and Roadtrek puts out two models with the same year - one on the last year's chassis and one on the current year's chassis. The change is around March. Both will be called the same year Roadtrek - 2014. I recently heard that the factory is backed up on orders so Roadtreks on the lot may be more at a premium now for anyone who wants one without a long wait. (Someone reported still waiting now after ordering in October.)

If you are looking for an RS Adventurous with the Etrek electric package option, you are most likely not going to find this on a dealer's lot. This is going to have to be ordered.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

justwandrin
Explorer
Explorer
The 2014s are being delivered now. There might still be some 2014 on 2013 chassis out there. RT has the 364 program, so your local dealer should be able to find out if there are some units that haven't sold and are available to him/her at a reduced price.

booster
Explorer
Explorer
As Rodger said, 18% has traditionally been what is considered a very good discount off of MSRP for a Roadtrek. They have played with the pricing lately with "free" add ons like solar, which can confuse things and would alter the % you actually see.

I don't know how well the CS is selling overall, but the local dealers website seems to show more of them coming in, and being sold, than the other Roadtrek models, so it may be harder to get a maximum discount on one.