cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cabinet Mod for a Roadtrek TV cabinet

RTclueless
Explorer
Explorer
I want to replace my 13" TV with 19" Flat screen tv but I want it to fit inside the cabinet not on the outside. So I am looking for someone around my area that know how to do cabinet modification for my 2000 Roadtrek 190 I live in Torrance Ca.
2000 Roadtrek 190 name Roada
12 REPLIES 12

Rex_Roamer
Explorer
Explorer
Coincidentally, I am in the middle of a re-design and just removed my old 13" tv to replace it with a 19" flat screen.

I don't know if you're referring to the cabinet up against your ceiling in the front of the van, or what your roof/insulation situation is, but I would not place a TV inside that cabinet.

In fact, I removed the wooden panel in which my 13" was seated, used it as a pattern, and replaced it with a solid piece of wood stained/poly-ed to match - AFTER I added insulation behind it.

I have noticed a tremendous difference in heat build-up in that area.

I worry that adding a TV to what was a very hot space would not be good for it, or your roof.

Here again, however - I'm referring to a conversion/camping van where the TV was installed above the front seats facing toward the rear of the van.

Your situation may well be different.

JanTx
Explorer
Explorer
i Just have to say,,, isnt it great that now we have those flat screen tvs now to free up space and also to have less weight to contend with!!!
Janet N Texas

PSW
Explorer
Explorer
Your RT came with a CRT TV and was on a slide out shelf with a tamber door, is that correct? You want a new tv.

If it was me, I would just through the old tv out, take out that base that it spun on and have more cabinet space.

Then, I would measure the space over the left bed on the outside of that old tv cabinet and figure out the maximum size tv I could fit on there. Then, I would go shopping. As was mentioned, new small models are very thin. I replaced our analog with a digital a couple of years ago and bought an Hatachi because it was the thinnest I could find and I could get the size that best fit from a height and width standpoint.

I think many have followed the same path.
PSW
2013 Phoenix Cruiser 2350
2014 Jeep Cherokee behind it
and a 2007 Roadtrek 210P for touring

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
RTclueless wrote:
I want to replace my 13" TV with 19" Flat screen tv but I want it to fit inside the cabinet not on the outside. So I am looking for someone around my area that know how to do cabinet modification for my 2000 Roadtrek 190 I live in Torrance Ca.

Why do you want to place it inside the cabinet? I placed mine on an arm on the back of the cabinet freeing up the inside of the cabinet for storage.

PCarnathan
Explorer
Explorer
I put a small LCD television on an articulating arm on the outside of the cabinet facing aft. The mount can swing all the way around the corner so that the TV can be viewed from the front of the rig as well; like when I'm cooking or sitting in one of the captain's chairs as well as locking in the satellite dish. Doing this freed up a ton of space in the old TV cabinet.

Pat in Menifee, CA
www.patcarnathan.com
2009 Mandalay 43A
2009 Honda CR-V Toad
2011 Toyota Tacoma
2013 Honda Goldwing
2003 Honda TRX400ex (2)
2005 Honda Aquatrax F12-X (2)
2016 Yamaha YXZ1000R

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
I would mount it outside the cabinet on a hinge of some sort and will gained more cabinet space

RTclueless
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all you comments.
2000 Roadtrek 190 name Roada

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

hitchup
Explorer
Explorer
Remember, the new LED's are much thinner than LCD's. In our bedroom, we replaced a 19" that fit between cabinets to a 26" on an articulating arm that fits nearly flush with the cabinets. Now it can be tilted up or down and sideways. Which helps because when I open the side cabinets, it's necessary to push it out a little.

We were so happy with it, we replaced the 40" LCD with a 46" LED in the living room. Could have gone slightly larger, but because our LR is on a lift, the other sizes would have needed to have cabinet opening cut out slightly. We didn't want to go to that expense.
2014 DRV Mobile Suite Estates 38RSB3....our custom home
2014 Ford F450 KR CC 4x4......his office
2015 Lance 1172 TC.....mobile Motel FOR SALE
Working Fulltimers since 3/2005

"Shoot for the Moon! Even if you miss it, you will land among the Stars."

charles
Explorer
Explorer
Try the Class B forum, you might get more suggestions there as other owners may have already made the change.

Nick
2019 Thor Chateau 22B

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
All you need is a good cabinet shop. I don't think you can fit a 19" inside where a 13" came from.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
What you want is a cabinet maker. Any cabinet maker can do the job. It won't be cheap.