cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I use a WDH on a DP

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tow a 22' enclosed trailer behind the DP in my signature. It has a 10,000 lb hitch with a 1000 lb tongue weight capacity.

I have been hauling a UTV weighing 1100 lbs in the front and a 3200 lb Suzuki Grand Vitara in the rear. I recently weighed the tongue with a scale(Sherline) and it weighed 1400 lbs...yikes!

The only loading option I have is putting the UTV in front and then load the Vitara backwards so that the engine is behind the axles. This reduced the tongue weight to 1200 lbs.

Is 200 lbs over the tongue rating a big No No, or do the manufacturers allow for a little overage? If not, how do I use a WDH on a DP?

It has ride height valves(always sits level)no matter how much weight is on the hitch, so how can I know if I am adjusting weight from rear to front of the DP?

There are people a lot more knowledgeable than me on here so I welcome any options or suggestions.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata
69 REPLIES 69

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
wildmanbaker wrote:
No, I don't believe he is. Your comparing a 20 foot pickup, to a 40 foot MH. Do they have the same size chassis, suspensions, and tires? Are they the same wheel base? Like I said, try it yourself and get back to us, please.

I have tried it myself and I have got back to you..... There is essentially no difference between my pickup and my motorhome with respect to the WDH. They both have:
  • A Steer Axle
  • A Drive Axle
  • A 10000 lb Trailer Hitch
  • A Trailer Attached exerting a force on the hitch
  • Air bags to maintain level

You are correct, they do have different wheelbases, but do you really think it makes a difference to the weight added on the hitch?? These are real world weights taken on a Commercial truck scale just as you challenged my to provide.

If you still think that a MH will negate the weight added by a trailer, try this simple experiment:
  • Stand on a bathroom scale
  • Write down the weight
  • Extend your arm and hand out in front of you
  • Have someone place a 10 lb weight on your hand. Keep your hand extended and note that there is a force pulling your hand and arm downward
  • Bend your knees a little to simulate how the added weight would push you down
  • Write down the new weight
  • Now, straighten your legs just like your MH would do when it adds air to the air bags to correct the squat
  • Now Write down your weight.

I am betting that your weight after you added the 10 lbs and squat down a little is the same as when you straighten your legs. If your weight at the end of the exercise is the same as it was in step 2 (before adding the 10 lbs), them I will happily admit that there is no purpose to a WDH on a MH. I will also submit your name for consideration for a Nobel Physics Prize as you will have disproved Isaac Newton's Third Law of Motion.
2006 Monaco Camelot 42-DSQ
09 Blazer 20' Covered Trailer
Toad - 2019 Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
My Website

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
No, I don't believe he is. Your comparing a 20 foot pickup, to a 40 foot MH. Do they have the same size chassis, suspensions, and tires? Are they the same wheel base? Like I said, try it yourself and get back to us, please.
Wildmanbaker

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:
wildmanbaker wrote:
bjbear wrote:
Although it is true that a DP with air suspension will compensate for extra weight on the hitch receiver by raising the rear of the coach, that is not the primary purpose of a WDH.

Tell you what, find a scale in your area and give this a try on you MH. Get back to us on what you find out, OK. There are a lot of things that work on paper, but not in real life.

I agree with wildman. Your drawing showing the PICKUP TRUCK changing rear height is totally different than a similar experiment with a DIESEL MOTORHOME where the rear height remains constant. (i.e. doing the same thing as the WDH. I would like to see a set of data from a similar test ON THE SCALES except with your DP. Data is wonderful. Accurate data is even better.

Larry Cad....

Look at the picture of my actual pick-up and trailer that I used to measure the Real World weights. I should have mentioned that because I normally carried a heavy truck camper on it, it was fitted with air bags that kept the rear from sagging.....just like my motorhome.

And.... Are you actually saying that on a MH, when the air bags inflate further to raise the rear after a heavy tongue weight has been added, that it takes away the weight that was added?? There is no change to the weight on the drive axles?? The weight is removed from the receiver?? and the MH is exactly the same as it was before the weight was added to the receiver??
My Website

And engineers are why we have traffic circles, also known as roundabouts.

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildmanbaker wrote:
bjbear wrote:
Although it is true that a DP with air suspension will compensate for extra weight on the hitch receiver by raising the rear of the coach, that is not the primary purpose of a WDH.

The WDH does 2 important jobs.

1) Reduces the load on the rear axle and distributes it between the front axle and the trailer axle(s). Even though the coach may adjust the air to raise the rear of the coach, it does not affect the extra loading on the rear axle. If your tongue weight pushes you over the GAWR or your tire rating, then you should use the WDH.

2) The second purpose (and in my opinion the most important) of the WDH is to reduce the torque loading on the receiver. When the tongue weight exerts a downward force on the ball, it induces a twisting force (torque) on the receiver. The resulting torque has 2 components. First, is the static loading. This is the tongue weight when the rig is not moving. The second is the dynamic loading which is the resulting force on the ball when the vehicle is moving. For example, when the coach goes over a bump, the hitch moves down and then rebounds. This downward movement can exert many times the static loading as the suspension stops the downward movement and rebounds. The WDH counteracts this dynamic loading greatly reducing the torque on the receiver. This is especially critical if using a hitch extension of any kind.

So the bottom line, is that if your tongue weight exceeds the rating on your receiver OR you are using a hitch extension, you should use a WDH. This is true even if you coach air suspension can keep your coach level.

The following diagram illustrates the effect of a WDH.

Tell you what, find a scale in your area and give this a try on you MH. Get back to us on what you find out, OK. There are a lot of things that work on paper, but not in real life.

I agree with wildman. Your drawing showing the PICKUP TRUCK changing rear height is totally different than a similar experiment with a DIESEL MOTORHOME where the rear height remains constant. (i.e. doing the same thing as the WDH. I would like to see a set of data from a similar test ON THE SCALES except with your DP. Data is wonderful. Accurate data is even better.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

Wire_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
I would have a heavier hitch put on the DP, or have a certified welder look at beefing yours up.

This^^^^^^^^ every coach I’ve owned I have a local hitch company either replace the factory hitch or beef the factory one up by adding braces to it.
Barney & Penny with our puppies Lucy & Ricky
2008 Fleetwood Discovery
NHRA Drag racing is our habit :C
Good Sams, FMCA, Cummins Power Club, Coach-Net

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer
wildmanbaker wrote:
bjbear wrote:

The WDH does 2 important jobs......................

OK ... since you asked. Having spent my career in engineering, I am pretty careful to make sure I know what I am talking about before I put anything out......

Fortunately, I have a set of scales not far from where I live so when I wanted to engineer a hitch extension for my truck for use with a camper, I was able to verify my paper calculations with real life observations. Below is the results of some of work. Note that like my previous drawing, when you tighten the chains on the equalizer, more weight is added to the steer axle and the trailer axles and the equivalent weight is removed from the drive axle of the truck.

Although this data was from my truck, it applies equally to my MH.

Think of it this way.

On a motorhome, when you add weight to the hitch........
  • The rear of the MH goes down
  • The air level valves sense this change and add air to raise the rear of the MH back to the design level
  • The air bags are pushing upward on the frame. The increase in force is equal to the weight from the hitch
  • At the same time, the air bags are pushing down on the drive axle with an equivalent force, increasing the loading on your tires and axles.

The end result therefore is that when you measure the resultant weight on the drive axle, it will have increased. Doesn't matter if the rear of the MH is sagging or has been forced back to normal position. The weight has still been added to the axle and tires.

There is a reason that the manufacturers of hitches and receivers give different ratings for use with and without an WDH. If your actual tongue weight is over the rating for your receiver and hitch, then use a WDH.
My Website

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
bjbear wrote:

1) Reduces the load on the rear axle and distributes it between the front axle and the trailer axle(s). Even though the coach may adjust the air to raise the rear of the coach, it does not affect the extra loading on the rear axle. If your tongue weight pushes you over the GAWR or your tire rating, then you should use the WDH.

2) The second purpose (and in my opinion the most important) of the WDH is to reduce the torque loading on the receiver. When the tongue weight exerts a downward force on the ball, it induces a twisting force (torque) on the receiver. The resulting torque has 2 components. First, is the static loading. This is the tongue weight when the rig is not moving. The second is the dynamic loading which is the resulting force on the ball when the vehicle is moving. For example, when the coach goes over a bump, the hitch moves down and then rebounds. This downward movement can exert many times the static loading as the suspension stops the downward movement and rebounds. The WDH counteracts this dynamic loading greatly reducing the torque on the receiver. This is especially critical if using a hitch extension of any kind.

So the bottom line, is that if your tongue weight exceeds the rating on your receiver OR you are using a hitch extension, you should use a WDH. This is true even if you coach air suspension can keep your coach level.

Wildmanbaker

bjbear
Explorer
Explorer

My Website

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
tropical36 wrote:
ACDNate wrote:
I'm not sure I understand why, those of you who said so, you don't think a wdh will help.

I've used a wdh with a trailer behind my truck and it significantly lightened the load on the rear end of the truck and put some weight back to the front axle.

Why would it not have the same affect here?

I've often asked the same question, but have never heard from anybody using one and giving the actual weight transfer.
It's gotta do something towards that goal, so the question is how much.

A WDH operates differently on a DP than on a spring supported chassis. The DP changes ride height of the DP automatically to compensate for additional weight on the coach. A WDH works to change the ride height of the vehicle it is attached to so that the rear doesn't drop with a heavy tongue weight.

In the end, all "parts" of the train weigh the same and the weight is distributed somewhere. If there is a weak link, and too much of the weight is distributed there, it will break. Since the DP automatically adjusts ride height, a WDH, which does the same thing, isn't necessary and may cause weight to be distributed to the wrong place when the DP readjusts what the WDH does when you crank on the spring bar.
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

I would think that if you are on here you would understand the leveling system that's on many DPs. This is not true with a class A on a Ford or GM chassis. Comparing a air bag suspended DP to a pickup truck is like comparing a banana to a orange. If your pickup dropped that much you didn't have enough truck for your trailer. My HEAVY trailer mentioned above don't drop my F-350 pick up hardly any....You never have to much truck, only not enough.

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:

I've often asked the same question, but have never heard from anybody using one and giving the actual weight transfer.

It would take a good bit of time at a scale to get weights. Only thing I know is w/o the WDH on my truck the rear was close to bottomed out and the front was rising 2.5". With the WDH setup the rear only dropped 1" and front only raised 0.75".

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
tropical36 wrote:
ACDNate wrote:
I'm not sure I understand why, those of you who said so, you don't think a wdh will help.

I've used a wdh with a trailer behind my truck and it significantly lightened the load on the rear end of the truck and put some weight back to the front axle.

I asked that question at the beginning of my thread. From recall, a few people said that it probably wouldn't have much, if any effect on a DP, and possibly could make handling worse.

I have looked at lots of DP's pulling trailers and so far, have not seen any with a WDH. There must be a reason for that.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ACDNate wrote:

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Most DPs have auto leveling with the sir bag suspension. This raises the rear to its normal ride height.
Wildmanbaker