cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Car dolly

jwiz7
Explorer
Explorer
If i use a car dolly, does my towed car have to have working tail lights or are the dolly brakes enough? Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

hipower
Explorer
Explorer
As many have replied different states will have diffrent rules and/or levels of enforcement.

Personally I towed a dolly for many years with only the dolly lights. Then one night going through Virginia I was stopped for not having any rear lights. Fortunately my pleas of stupiity worked and I was not cited. I did turn on the parking llights when I left to satisfy the officer and found a Wal-Mart to purchase magnetic lights as soon as possible.

Bottom line we will all do what ever we are comfortable with until someone changes our mind.

jwiz7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all of your advice. I will try and get brake light for the car also. Merry Christmas

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
My brother has towed a CRV without even hooking it's lights to the MH for over ten years mainly in the East from NH to Fl. I agree with the 4' rule, but he has never been stopped. If someone tail ends the CRV are they not at fault... with a good lawyer (is there any such thing?) I think so.
I tow my SUV backwards an .

inadequately visible brake lights would be contributory negligence IMHO.
bumpy

DutchStar38
Explorer
Explorer
I have a MasterTow dolly and have towed my car every year in excess of 10 years. I do carry a set of magnetic lights for emergencies. Once was when I blew a dolly tire and tore a complete fender off which shorted out all the lights on the dolly. Your car should have reflectors in the taillights which will make it visible. On a large class "A" the MH the tail lights are above the towed vehicle normally. Carry a set of the magnetic lights for emergencies but ensure you check the dolly lights each time you load the toad.
Ronny & Lynda
Sammy (Brussells Griffon/Maltese mix)
TJ (Micro Teacup 2.1 lbs Poodle)
2005 Newmar DutchStar 3809 DP
2002 HarleyDavidson Ultra

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
My brother has towed a CRV without even hooking it's lights to the MH for over ten years mainly in the East from NH to Fl. I agree with the 4' rule, but he has never been stopped. If someone tail ends the CRV are they not at fault... with a good lawyer (is there any such thing?) I think so.
I tow my SUV backwards and have the parking/turn lights hooked up BUT that puts orange lights (not red) at the back. In 12 years I've never been stopped plus you cannot see the licence plates of either vehicle...having saved me from one yellow/red light camera shot/fine. Click on "How I tow" below.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Goombay
Explorer
Explorer
I have been using a tow dolly for almost 10 years and I never tow without rear magnetic lights on the back of the tow vehicle both day and night. Right after I bought it people were honking their horns at me when I made a turn because they had difficulty seeing my turn signals and brake lights ( I tow an SUV). I bought a set of tow lights that had red lens facing to the back and yellow lens facing towards the front which allowed me to see if the lights were working correctly. Only cost about $25.00 and never got honked at again. Felt safer since I could always see the blinkers working (or on occasion NOT working). Wiring was easy since I put the connector on the trailer tongue then ran the light wires to the back (I wrap the slack aroung the rear view mirror). I think I bought the lights at Walmart or Harbour Freight.
2004 R-Vision Condor 1281 (30 ft)
2000 Mazda Tribute
Stehl tow dolly w/ electric brakes

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dolly lights are sufficient, and legal. But, when I towed with a dolly, if towing after dark, I also put magnetic lights on the back of the car. I did not do that if only towing during daylight.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Every state has their own rules and regulations. You need to check with YOUR DOT. That said you will still get hassled as you travel thru the different states.

In my home state as long as the towing vehicle tail lights can be seen the trailer does 'not' have to have lights. And if your trailer is under a certain length it does 'not' require plates.

Try that driving thru Florida.:R

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

racer99
Explorer
Explorer
What we did is ran 4 wires through grille along front fender then under car ty wrapping wires to anything we could some area we went through frame and finally drilled a hole in trunk for wires to come into trunk area,put magnetic lights on roof ran wires into trunk area, plugged them , in and was ready to go, then after trip I unplug wires in trunk and put mag lights and wiring in a separate bag with extra stuff , plug that hangs out of grille I fold over under hood, the extension cord I made that goes from plug by grille to rear of MH I unplug and store in same bag, that way nothing gets lost and it stays clean, as far as connections go We have used this system for yrs we went with LED lights even though we hardly drive at night during daylight hours they really show up good -Rich
pauperspride.blogspot.com

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
Indiana does not require tail lights on the toad if the dolly is well lighted. My Demco KarKaddy dolly has very bright LED lights but if I ever have to drive at night or in bad dark weather I hook up a set of magnetic light (which includes a license plate light) to the toad just for safety sake.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
If, and probably a big if, there are any state specific laws regarding towing a vehicle on a dolly beyond safety chains, properly securing a load and lighting U-Haul wouldn't be renting them to anyone with a credit card and ID.

Back to the OP's question - dolly mounted lights are all that are required but sure wouldn't hurt to add a set of magnetic lights to the back of the car.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
edited my first post, deleted this one.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
I had a motorcycle lift on the back of a MH. The question was did it need it's own lights or were the lights on the MH enough. I was told the rule in most states was lights had to be within 4 feet of the rear most part. Hence additional lights on the list were needed.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Snowman9000 wrote:
Someone will be along shortly to disagree. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm not disagreeing but, It could be a matter of interpretation,
The Pennsylvania Vehicle Code:
ยง 4924. Limitations on length of projecting loads.

(a) General rule.--Subject to the provisions of this subchapter limiting the length of vehicles and loads, the load upon any vehicle or the load upon the front vehicle of a combination of vehicles shall not extend more than three feet beyond the foremost part of the vehicle, and the load upon any vehicle operated alone or the load, other than a nondivisible load, upon the rear vehicle of a combination shall not extend more than six feet beyond the rear of the bed or body of such vehicle.

(b) Red flags and lights.--If the load on any vehicle extends more than four feet beyond the rear of the vehicle, a red flag or cloth not less than 12 inches square shall be displayed at the end of the load. During hours of darkness, a red light shall be displayed in the same position in lieu of the flag or cloth.

(c) Compliance with maximum length limitations.--Subsection (a) does not permit loads to exceed the maximum limits set forth in section 4923 (relating to length of vehicles).

(d) Exceptions.--Except for subsection (b), this section does not apply to a motor vehicle specifically designed and being used to:

(1) transport roof trusses; or

(2) transport live trees for transplanting.

Is a towed vehicle a load? It's being towed, not operated.
Are the lights on a dolly only to make it legal while being towed empty? :W