cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CAT 3126B

klparker
Explorer
Explorer
Have 2001 Itasca Horizon diesel pusher, with CAT 330 (3126B). Changed filters, fuel and water/fuel filter and now it will not crank. Any help is appreciated.
18 REPLIES 18

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
grldst wrote:
I was born and raised in the north, moved to Georgia and have lived there for thirty years.

Language terminology is different in the south

In the south if a vehicle wonโ€™t crank, it means it wonโ€™t start.

Yep, you are right. I'm from Ohio, and have lived in NC for 16 years and FL for 23 years. I'll never forget when a guy in NC at work asked me what I was having for dinner. I thought dinner was the meal I had at 6pm. No, he meant lunch. My 6pm meal was called supper. Breakfast, Dinner, and Supper...OK....

Now in FL I'm back to lunch and dinner, go figure. I guess it's too many Yankees here...

Al

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
I was born and raised in the north, moved to Georgia and have lived there for thirty years.

Language terminology is different in the south

In the south if a vehicle wonโ€™t crank, it means it wonโ€™t start.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
wolfe10 wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
Fortunately the OPโ€™s engine had a hand pump, many do not. I would only change a Cat on a hill (nose up) with a full tank plus have the new filter full of fuel changing as quickly as possible.

OR, add a Caterpillar hand primer pump if you have the Caterpillar fuel filter base.

OR add/change your primary fuel filter to one with a primer pump.

Caterpillar primer pump is better as excellent quality and quite a lot higher volume than the "rubber button" primers.

Have seen the Caterpillar filter bases with primer pumps on quite a number of Caterpillar products. Would not hesitate to buy the base with pump used.

OR,
You could install inline shut off valves, like I and many others have and, once done, you can change that single fuel filter or the two, if you have two, when the coach is up hill, down hill, level, standing on its nose, upside down, it won't matter. The fuel will and CANNOT move, in any of those lines if those valves are installed.
The OP needs to learn terminology so that we understand what he's trying to ask. "Crank" is cranking the engine. Crank but, WILL NOT START is a whole 'nother ball game.
Scott

Scott,

Totally agree. A ball valve on the inlet side of the primary fuel filter is another good idea. Prevents fuel from running all the way back to the tank OR continuing to run out the filter head.

Also makes an excellent anti-theft device!
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Ivylog wrote:
Fortunately the OPโ€™s engine had a hand pump, many do not. I would only change a Cat on a hill (nose up) with a full tank plus have the new filter full of fuel changing as quickly as possible.

OR, add a Caterpillar hand primer pump if you have the Caterpillar fuel filter base.

Caterpillar primer pump is better as excellent quality and quite a lot higher volume than the "rubber button" primers.

Have seen the Caterpillar filter bases with primer pumps on quite a number of Caterpillar products. Would not hesitate to buy the base with pump used.

OR,
You could install inline shut off valves, like I and many others have and, once done, you can change that single fuel filter or the two, if you have two, when the coach is up hill, down hill, level, standing on its nose, upside down, it won't matter. The fuel will and CANNOT move, in any of those lines if those valves are installed.
The OP needs to learn terminology so that we understand what he's trying to ask. "Crank" is cranking the engine. Crank but, WILL NOT START is a whole 'nother ball game.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

BUB1988
Explorer
Explorer
When I change the fuel filter I put a 1" nipple on the fuel filter and then pre-fill the filter with clean diesel. The nipple is there to keep the diesel out of the center of the filter. So far has worked for the last 4 filter changes.

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess "crank" did mean "start" Glad you got it running. Have had to use the pump myself a couple of times. Safe travels.
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had same thing happen because did not fill filter w fuel.
I took a air pump and placed a rag around the fuel cap and put the air hose in the tank. The air pushed the fuel to fill the filter up and cranked the engine. It started after 2 tries.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:

Brett Wolfe

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
klparker wrote:
Put fuel in filters. It will try to turn over but will not. Will check for pump and any loose wires, etc. When ignition is in on position you can hear the sensors click.

It is still not clear.

What happens when you turn the key?

Nothing?

Turns over/cranks but no start?

If it fails to turn over I would be looking at electrical.

If it turns over (spins) but will not start, I would be looking at fuel.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....

klparker
Explorer
Explorer
Located pump on type of engine, pumped till it was firm, and it "cranked". Thank you all for the assistance.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
See answer to the same question you posted on the FMCA Forum over there.

https://community.fmca.com/topic/14195-cat-330-3126b-engine/?tab=comments#comment-119890
Brett Wolfe

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Low battery voltage?
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

klparker
Explorer
Explorer
Put fuel in filters. It will try to turn over but will not. Will check for pump and any loose wires, etc. When ignition is in on position you can hear the sensors click.