cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Gererator Fuel Filter

LaTriker
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to change the fuel filter in my 8kw Onan generator. The manual shows the filter to be in an enclosed area under the generator near the oil filter. The only problem is my filter is not where the manual says it should be. Does anyone know where it could be?

18 REPLIES 18

road_glide
Explorer
Explorer
Wow...look where the oil filter is placed. The black cartridge above 2 different hose lines. Fun...I changed out my Onan 7500 this summer, it resembles exactly the diagram picture, not the actual picture. It was a PITA. Fuel running down my arms, but at least it was done right and no leaks first time.
I realize we are discussing atn 8000 Onan. Just my 2 cents.
Merry Christmas everyone.
2003 Safari Sahara 350HP Cummins ISC Allison 6 speed
Model 3753 - Triple Slide
2002 Jeep Liberty Limited 4x4 toad

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
La Triker......I stand corrected, I've never seen that filter setup on an Onan diesel generator. I have a 2014 Onan HDKAK 8K generator and it has the filter posted in the diagram. I would be curious to know what model yours is.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

BennieH
Explorer
Explorer
The fuel filter is the item silver item at the lower edge of the photo.
Bob & Pam
2003 Monaco Camelot 40PBDD
Ford Edge or Chevy Silverado toad.

Post your Park Reviews at:
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/

LaTriker
Explorer
Explorer
"PLGuif49" Thanks for for your reply. The generator came from the factory as the my photo shows, as I purchased my 2011 HR new.

PFGuil49
Explorer
Explorer
La Triker

If you need any help with your generator, contact Jody McKoin at the number below. He is the owner and very knowledgeable with these Onan generators.

Mc Koin's Starter & Generator
Address: 108 Olive Street, Monroe, LA 71201
Phone:(318) 387-1990

Fitz

PFGuil49
Explorer
Explorer
La Triker,

Your fuel filter is the silver canister with the clamps on each end. It is the closest canister to you in the picture. It will have fuel filter written on it, probably on the other side so just spin it over. The fuel pump is the gold canister in the top left corner. I have the exact same set up on my Onan 8K. And I am the original owner of my coach. And my manual shows the exact same drawing as yours but it is not correct. I clipped off the pressed on clamps and replaced with water hose type clamps. It is very easy to change with the water hose clamps. Also, get the fuel filter number off the filter because the number on the front of my generator was not correct. My Onan fuel filter number is 147-0860. Yours is probably the same. Hope this helps.

Fitz.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
LaTriker......Now that makes sense, your first post made it sound like that was not the photo of your coach. Your photo is exactly where the filter is suppose to be located. I suspect that someone tore up the hose ends when taking the filter out in the past. They cut and connected an inline filter which is what you're seeing in the picture. You'll just have to replace with another in line filter.
Don & Mary

LaTriker
Explorer
Explorer
"DSDP Don" The drawing is from my manual, the photo is of my generator. The problem is that the fuel filter not where the drawing shows it should be. My question is, does anyone else have an 8kw generator with the fuel filter in a different location? If you do, where is it?

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"LaTriker"....Your posts are a little confusing. It's unclear if the picture posted is your generator or one on another coach. I have had two 8K Onan generators over the past ten years and the fuel filter is as shown in your drawing. It's hidden behind a metal drop down door.

If yours ends up being the one in the drawing, there are a couple of tricks to change them. First, you SHOULD use fuel filter wrenches like this to loosen the fuel lines. They are very soft and can be easily stripped if you use a regular wrench. I don't recall the size, but I know the two lines are different, possibly 1/2" and 9/16".

When doing the filter change, have a plug ready for the fuel line. If you've ever cut the tip off of a tube of silicone, something shaped similar to that works as a temporary plug.

Before you loosen the two fuel lines, tie a rag around both your wrists. This will prevent fuel from running down your arms.

Open the trap door under the generator, loosen/remove the center hold down bolt on the filter and then remove the fuel lines. Have the new filter within reach. You can either plug the one fuel line that is dripping and take your time, or quickly get the fuel line started on the new filter. There isn't much room to work, so be careful you don't cross thread the lines. Reinstall the filter and hold down and THEN snug up the fuel lines.

Side Note: NEVER use a trouble light when working with fuel under a vehicle.
Don & Mary

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The manual was done when Onan was still using the filter designed for and used in the GM diesel passcars. The cost has gone up as they are now out of production some 20 years and few remain in service. So, they changed to another common part.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
My 8K is the same as in your drawing. The easiest way to change it is to remove the front cover of the generator. The side where the switches are I consider the front

TempatureContro
Explorer
Explorer
Not as easy as some think! Not only did I have continuous fuel running down my arm, but the inlet line had to be turned on the filter by rotating the filter - and the length of the line was almost too short to get the threads started. I changed due to age, not hours. The filter is supposed to be good for 500 hrs, assuming clean fuel and I only have 150 hrs after 8 years. I would never change again, unless it clogs and the fuel tank is below 1/4. Biggest PIA I have had working on MH! Our is the 7.5 KW Quiet D like yours.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad
They may have changed to an inline fuel filter or if you are not the original owner someone else may have. Look on a small metal plate on the generator near the hour meter area. Mine has part numbers listed for the filters. Once you have the part number then look it up and compare.
H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

glamisorbust
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 7500 onan quiet diesel has a filter that looks like the drawing you have in the first picture. It is a square box with a bolt in the middle that holds it in. You have to unscrew both fuel lines, but be careful how you do it because diesel will run down your arms into your armpits. Not a lot of fun but it's easy. There might be a second trap door that has the filter in it. Different spot than your oil filter probably.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!