cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chrome lug nuts

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
Does any one know the exact size of the socket that would fit the chrome lug nuts that hold the hub cap on the wheels?
They are the 2 that has the slot mark on the chrome caps.
The Winnebago gave with the coach a thin metal wrench that use to work but it is nothing but a very thin metal that bends very easy. It's just a bit larger than the wheel wrench that remove the lug nuts of the wheel. The last time I had new tires put on they must have tighten the 2 chrome nuts so tight I am unable to remove them with that cheap wrench that came with the coach. The size appears to be 43mm, but unable to find that size socket. Tried 1 5/8" socket but it just a little to big to grip the chrome lug nut.
I have tried every auto parts store in town plus Harbor Freight. Even tried a couple of semi truck garages, no luck.
13 REPLIES 13

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
all is well that ends well.
Looked for a 42mm or 43 mm was unable to find one. Ended up at TSC found a 1 9/16" deep socket 3/4 drive Works like a champ. Thanks a bunch for all the help.

GPWayne
Explorer
Explorer
Try this:
https://www.amazon.com/Williams-16-650-Impact-Socket-16-Inch/dp/B001DNXQQ8/ref=sr_1_48?ie=UTF8&qid=1465963975&sr=8-48&keywords=1+9+16+socket

1 - 9/16" = 39.6875 MM

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks a bunch for the reply's.
My tires are 22.5
I took my wrench with me and the guy used his inside calipers to check it, he said it would be a 43 mm. But no one seems to have a socket that big. He thought a 1 5/8 would work but it was just a hair too big. I have a deep socket that is an 1 1/4" just too small. Harbor Freight had nothing close in Metric.

GPWayne
Explorer
Explorer
(Winnebago, Destination DP, FreightLiner.)
I found that 1-9/16 fits perfectly. Bought socket at a master mechanic tool supply.
Makes checking oil filled hubs a snap. Had new tires installed and the guys had to use my socket for the wheel covers...strange?? Made sure they used my breaker bar not an impact wrench.(I don't carry a lug wrench....When it comes to tire change/repair, I call Good Sam.)

Just to be certain, take the Winnebago wrench with you to a tool supply.

kd7cxg-2
Explorer
Explorer
If you have 19.5 inch rims the lugnut covers take a 1 1/8 inch deep well socket. Just went out and checked mine, I use a craftsman 6 point 1/2" drive deep well socket.

Tom
2013 Itasca Sunstar 27N
Toad: 2010 Toyota Corolla
Good Sam Lifetime Member

J_R2
Explorer
Explorer
adjustable wrench?
Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

Wrong_Lane
Explorer
Explorer
Just went out and checked the size of my chrome jamb nut. I have 19.5 inch tires on a Ford chassis. Size of the jamb nut is 1 1/8th. Use a deep socket as the curved top of the nut holds a shallow socket out off the straight sides.

Just to be certain, take the supplied Winnebago wrench with you to Harbor Freight, use one of their inside calipers to measure the size, then head to the socket area and get what you need.

For the rear tires make sure you have an extension on your ratchet so you can work around the center hub.

I have experienced the jamb nuts being too tight. I am certain some dummy at a shop put them on with an impact wrench.

Safe Travels
2006 Damon Challenger 348F Ford V10
2013 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Blue Ox Aventa & Brake Buddy

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
They're probably 33mm. This looks more substantial, although if you need that much power to remove one, it could do with a dose of WD40

You bet, I put some WD40 on it, will give it a try in the morning. I have loosen a lot of things with good old WD 40

egh33
Explorer
Explorer
J-Rooster wrote:
egh33,The lug wrench for the chrome lug nuts on my Winnebago says V22501-TOL there is no size number can a call to Winnebago decipher that into a size?

You are so correct that is the same number that's on that piece of junk they gave as a wrench. By golly I will give them a call. What's so sad is I went into see the dealer where I bought the coach and they knew nothing of what size wrench it took as they don't do any work on the chassis.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
egh33,The lug wrench for the chrome lug nuts on my Winnebago says V22501-TOL there is no size number can a call to Winnebago decipher that into a size?

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
It may be because of the age of my unit, but my jam nut covers are just tapped on and the wrench fits directly on the jam nuts.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
They're probably 33mm. This looks more substantial, although if you need that much power to remove one, it could do with a dose of WD40
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Vegas1
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem when I had new tires put on. The tire installer did not tighten one of them and I lost the jam nut on the short trip home. Not sure of the size, but for the front, I use an adjustable crescent wrench with a rag over the nut to prevent scratching. The rear would be a bit more difficult using this method.
2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37 F
Ford F-53 24,0000
2010 Chevy Equinox. Blue Ox & Brake Buddy