cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A - Diesel versus Gas

Bollee
Explorer
Explorer
I currently own a Fleetwood Revolution 39 ft 350 Cummins. Looking at downsizing to something smaller. I desire some feedback regarding pro's and con's of a gas versus a diesel RV. I understand that there is a difference in torque and horsepower. However, doesn't the cost savings in fuel outweigh those advantages. Are there any specific gas engines I should stay away from during the research phase. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

Paw_Paw_M
Explorer
Explorer
I drive a 2004 Holiday Rambler Ambassador and can't tell if it's running or not without looking at the tach. It's super quite even when running down the freeway. Sure, I'd like a DP for towing up the mountains in the Pacific Northwest but like many others....price has final say most times. Good Luck.
Paw Paw M

glamisorbust
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will be disappointed if you go to a gasser. I just made the move from a class A gas to a class A DP and oh what a difference. I sold my old RV today to a couple just starting out. On the test drive it was loud and hot in between me and the buyer. Not in the DP, it is nice and quiet!!!
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'. Cummins ISB 275, allison 3060.
Toys pulled: 22x8.5 open deck PJ flatbed. 5200# axles. Sand car with ecotec engine. Multiple 1980's ATC's(3 wheelers). We're duners!

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gassers tend to get just a little less MPG, and usually diesels get many more miles on the engine. Price differs on purchase though.... It's really a toss up.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Test drive what you like and don't worry about what anybody else says. Try the gas vehicle and see if it fits your needs. You are the one with the bucks, buy what YOU like.

Good luck, safe travels,
MM.
X-2

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
What size MH to you want to down size to? What would be some off your other requirements? What kind of camping are you planning on doing? This info would help the discussion.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody will win the arguement. BUT, if you read these posts everyday you will find out every RV has it's good points and bad points. Gassers noisey engine. Diesels not enough heat up front on cold days. Noisey in back when one is taking a nap while going down the road. Gassers are on springs. I would check them all out. Choose what is best for your RVing. I was at the Monaco repair in Oregon. In the evenings we all sat around chatting. A lot of honest info passed back and forth. Those diesels aren't all the super RV people would like you to think. Unless, of course, you buy a Provost. All RVs have there own unique problems.

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
I downsized from a 40' DP to a 31' class A Winnebago gasser and had no regrets.

Don't let people here tell you all gas engines up front are noisy. My Winnebago was as quiet as a passenger automobile.

Good luck!

Ditto....actually went from a 37.5 ft DP to a 39 ft gasser. Same features would have cost 100K more in a new DP. During RV season (Summer) we always run the genset while driving. It was where the V10 is now. No change except for a lot more room for living. We live in them a lot more than we drive in them.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

KarenS144
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2011 G'town 29' gasser was loud and hot. We put insulation under the doghouse & floorboard which helped slightly. The best thing we did though was sell it and buy a DP. We went up slightly in size but made a huge leap in quality with a 2011 Newmar Ventana. No more engine screaming under our hot feet and we can have a conversation without shouting to be heard.

Our Ventana is just over 34' and while bigger than our gasser, it's still pretty small for a DP.
Karen
Paoli, IN

Traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433
with 1 Hubby and 2 Boxers!

summerhouse
Explorer
Explorer
There will always be those on each side of this issue that are adamant that one or the other is the only way to go.
I have one foot in each realm. We have a new 2014 Tiffin Allegro gasser. I love our new motorhome. I love the floor plan. It is a big improvement over our 32 ft Class C. But of course that filled our needs 'then'. I researched the day lights out of gas vs diesel. If the price difference had been closer, we would have gone with diesel. I just couldn't see spending that much more for the diesel torque. Our current coach is fulfilling what we are doing these days.
But, we are already discussing that when we trade this coach in a few years, we think we would like to step up to a diesel.
I think if you have had a diesel, you may find yourself disappointed in the lower power of a gas engine. I fully understand wanting less coach to maneuver size wise. We don't plan to ever get a larger unit then our current 36 ft.
“Light hearted I take to the open road… Healthy, free, the world before me… The long brown path before me leading me wherever I choose.” - Walt Whitman

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Test drive what you like and don't worry about what anybody else says. Try the gas vehicle and see if it fits your needs. You are the one with the bucks, buy what YOU like.

Good luck, safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I downsized from a 40' DP to a 31' class A Winnebago gasser and had no regrets.

Don't let people here tell you all gas engines up front are noisy. My Winnebago was as quiet as a passenger automobile.

Good luck!

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
The only gas class A's currently produced are on a ford f53 chassis.
While these are fine motorhomes, and have gotten better in recent years...
The engine sits between you and the missus, and likes to rev (rendering conversation difficult)
and the chassis is on leaf springs, not air bags.

Cost, IMHO, is a non issue. For every person who says a gasser is cheaper to run because gas costs a few cents a gallon less, there will be 6 who say a diesel is cheaper to run cause they get better mileage (even though they cost 4 times more to buy in the first place) 🙂

The "big thing" these days is smaller DP's, there are a number of 32-36 foot diesel pushers being produced today that could be very nice.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog