cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class A Fuel Mileage

RFYeager
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to find out the average fuel mileage for the new Tiffin Allegro Red 34 Diesel. It has the 340hp Cummins with the Allison 2500 transmission. However, it only has 660lb.ft. of torque (probably due to the gearing of the Allison 2500). I tow a Grand Cherokee, which is approximately 4200 lbs. Just trying to make general comparisons when I go to look at buying a new (or different) RV.

I thought that wouldn't it be great if there was a forum or some type of chart where members can post their fuel mileage experience? I understand that everyone's driving styles are different, at different elevations, at different temperatures, etc. I'm just talking about a general average.

For example, I have a 2007 Fleetwood 38V with a CAT 300hp diesel and a Allison 3000 transmission. I get on average (towing my GC) 7.2 mpg. without the Toad, 7.7mpg. These numbers are driving with my cruise control set at 62mph.
53 REPLIES 53

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
DeWat wrote:
Did 9 mpg bringing my new Phaeton 40QBH (380HP ISL) from Memphis across the Appalachians and home to southern MD. An unexpected, but very nice improvement over the 7.5 I was getting in my Winnebago Vista 35B Triton V10 gasser.

Just curious, why would your ISL have only 380 hp? Our ISL has 425 hp.

For comparison to the OP, we weigh just over 40,000 lbs. and have averaged about 7.0-7.2 mpg over 65,000 miles pulling a 3,400 lb. toad. I like going about 60 mph.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
You have to understand that fuel mileage is more than sped & the weight of your rig and toad combined. I drive a 36' DP with a CAT 3126e 330 HP engine. However, I live at 4,500 above sea level and and 76% of my driving is above 4,500'and many long up grades.An engine running above sea level will have a turbo running most of the time as the air is thinner and diesels love air. My rig now has 45,000 miles on it and in trip this summer 1,800 miles (all above 5,000' running at 62mph I averaged 8 miles per gallon with less than 10 hours of genny time over 3 weeks.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

bluwtr49
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mileage as a function of $$ spent is relatively unimportant in the scheme of things but it's a very useful number for figuring you range between fuel stops.

For seeing you actual fuel consumption I've found my Silverleaf to be much more accurate than hand calc simply because it tough to know whether or not the tank is actually full and if full just how full.

The Silverleaf tell be that I have gotten an avg of 8.5 since I bought it and it's been 8.5 since the engine was born in 2000. Some legs are 10.0 and some are 7.0, but over the length of each year it' still 8.5.

Do I care if it's really 8.2 or 8.7?? Nope
Dick

2002 43' DP Beaver Marquis Emerald Cat C-12 505 HP, 1600 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
DeWat wrote:
For all those who just love to quote "if you have to ask", to each his own, but what makes you right???

"Asking" was part of my research, and I never expected to get more than 10 based on buses that I drove. However, I still wanted to know for several reasons. An important one is if you routinely get 8 or 9 mpg, and suddenly get 2 or 3 mpg with no environmental changes, common sense... the same common sense for wanting to know, would tell you to start looking for problems before they get more expensive. Why is SilverLeaf surviving? Because many want to know what their engines are doing. So please, lighten up on those who are only trying to educate themselves.

/RANT MODE OFF/

The op asked to compare a specific coach against other possible coaches ie " which gets better mileage " I just assumed mileage might make a difference in his selection . At a difference if 1-2 mpg and the average rver going less than 5000 miles a year mileage on a 150,000 coach is a little minor blip .
I didn't say You shouldn't track your mileage and monitor ... I do and can tell you the total gallons I've put in and miles driven since I bought it and the gen hours . ...( mpg) And compare at each fill up for the reasons you state . But that's not what he asked , at least that's my take and I've been wrong before . I honestly believe mileage is not on my checklist .... How much I pay , interest rate , lost investment income rate etc now THEY are 😉
Bill

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you asked about a tiffin red 34 specifically and your getting coaches of all other makes and ages and sizes here why don't you ask over in the irv2.com forum they have a tiffin sub forum . You might find some more newer red owners there. 🙂
Bill

jeepin
Explorer
Explorer
Last spring we went form Minneapolis to Myrtle Beach,in our 43' Newmar 360HP, 1050FT# of tork, towing a 2012 Jeep wrangler with the cruse at 60-62 mph we averaged 6.9 mpg real world not the computer total of 3300 miles
Jim & Kim & Tugger (the 4 legged kid)
2010 Newmar Ventana 4333
2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

dverstra
Explorer
Explorer
9.5 MPG towing CRV 60-65 mph flat terrain
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...Holy Cow....what a ride!"

2007 Holiday Rambler Navigator
2013 Honda CRV
Returned Peace Corps Volunteer - Sierra Leone

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with DeWat! I like to know (honestly) what you all are getting as well and don't mind a bit sharing my MPGs. You can choose to not reply if you think it is a stupid question. I do it to my 22 yr old all the time.
2013 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits
RET USAF MSGT (26yrs) and still DoD ATC.
DW,DS,DD in the MH w/Westley the killer PUG!

DeWat
Explorer
Explorer
For all those who just love to quote "if you have to ask", to each his own, but what makes you right???

"Asking" was part of my research, and I never expected to get more than 10 based on buses that I drove. However, I still wanted to know for several reasons. An important one is if you routinely get 8 or 9 mpg, and suddenly get 2 or 3 mpg with no environmental changes, common sense... the same common sense for wanting to know, would tell you to start looking for problems before they get more expensive. Why is SilverLeaf surviving? Because many want to know what their engines are doing. So please, lighten up on those who are only trying to educate themselves.

/RANT MODE OFF/
Dewey & Sharon
Southern Maryland suburbs of DC
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
Before I went into RV'ing I would always ask about mpg, a salesman finally told me "if you have to be concerned about mpg then you don't want a motor home." :W So now I don't worry, just enjoy and seldom check but I think the last time I checked it was 11 mpg towing. (on flat ground in the mid west).
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have to ask ...... 🙂
I wouldn't trust the mileage numbers posted on a forum anyway ... But you should throw out all the high numbers! Some people are really careful lucky drivers , don't know how to figure mileage , trust their computer, or ( I know shocking) may be less than honest .. It's kinda like asking how big was the fish that got away LOL
Bill

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
My previous coach, an 08 Safari Simba 35sbd with a CAT C7 330, averaged 8.6 over 32000 miles. Our new coach (see signature) with only 1200 miles driven on it, I've averaged 7.8. Both pulling the same toad and driven the same routes and speeds.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
RFYeager wrote:
I am trying to find out the average fuel mileage for the new Tiffin Allegro Red 34 Diesel. It has the 340hp Cummins with the Allison 2500 transmission. However, it only has 660lb.ft. of torque (probably due to the gearing of the Allison 2500). I tow a Grand Cherokee, which is approximately 4200 lbs. Just trying to make general comparisons when I go to look at buying a new (or different) RV.

I thought that wouldn't it be great if there was a forum or some type of chart where members can post their fuel mileage experience? I understand that everyone's driving styles are different, at different elevations, at different temperatures, etc. I'm just talking about a general average.

For example, I have a 2007 Fleetwood 38V with a CAT 300hp diesel and a Allison 3000 transmission. I get on average (towing my GC) 7.2 mpg. without the Toad, 7.7mpg. These numbers are driving with my cruise control set at 62mph.

Seriously, folks....this is what I see as well. You are right on track. I have the 8.3L with 1050TQ, 39K w/toad, 32K without.
TOADS: 12 Jeep JKUR Wrangler, 16 Cherokee Trailhawk, 15 Grand Cherokee, 13 RAM 1500 Longhorn (not a toad) American STEEL = American profits

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
GlennLever wrote:
When my tank gets to half full, I start looking for a fuel station and fill it up. I have no idea what the fuel mileage is.

For this thread, we will assign you 14.5 MPG.

dubdub07
Explorer
Explorer
Hee, hee, hee......10. That's a good one!