cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A RV driver's seat

pandorasbox65
Explorer
Explorer
So I am a 5' 2" woman and I own and drive a 31 foot Class A. My problem is, as a "sqatty body", I almost can't reach the pedals, even with the seat all the way up. Here is my question: Is there any way of moving the whole seat forward (like unbolting it and rebolting it down closer to the pedals)? Are there maybe optional holes under the carpet so I can move it forward? I am very uncomfortable trying to reach to pedals. The chair is not too big for me, just too far away. Help! Signed: A little tiny woman in a great big rig
15 REPLIES 15

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I forgot to add that with the adjustable pedals wife can easily position the seat for maximum comfort, however...she cannot put her feet on the floor. Thus she goes through what I consider uncomfortable.
I've been looking at and seeing if I can put a raised section or maybe just a block would do her so she can fest her foot or feet. It would have to be easily.
removable.
I didn't go back and reread but if you don't have adjustable Pedals the chassis manufacturer most likely has them and would be and easy install just taking a bit of time and power source. I qualify that by saying a Freightliner chassis, has easily installed power adjustable pedal set ups, as I understand it. I haven't had to do such an install.
The steering wheel is power adjustable up and down and in and out.
Wife ends up with it almost touching her stomach.
So adjusting the seat may work but pedal contact and floor contact available at the same time seems the problem.
Perhaps a block of wood or section of wood in a well though out design would be a better option unless you don't want to see out the windshield. I sure would be familiar with it before starting down the road.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
This might be your answer. Check out this link :

Pedal extensions.

That's even a better price than Amazon and most likely comes from the same manufacture.
I would think that moving the seat forward too much would jam one's self against the steering wheel, so this appears to be a much better option.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a shorter woman, I am thinking that lowering the seat pedestal would NOT be good. It could create a problem with vision. Like trying to look where the top of the dash is, or top of steering wheel blocking the view, how about left and right and seeing in the outside mirrors. The pedal extensions seem like a better option.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe something like This
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you sit comfortably back in the seat how much space is there between your foot and the pedals?

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would go with pedal extensions. Moving the seat forward and making new bolt holes could void any possible warranty you have and also the coach was NOT engineered this way. It could be a real safety issue.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

craig7h
Nomad II
Nomad II
I am just in the process of replacing the seat post. The seat post is 10in. high and am lowing to 7in. This is being done as my wifes feet can not touch the floor with the orignal post. This may be an option for you.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

traveylin
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced my two front captains chairs in our class A two months ago. The mounting bracket that contains the swivel and front back adjustment is designed with additional flexibility to move the seat apparatus forward or back depending on height of individual. Easy job any mechanic could do it. The rail positioner is std enough that in the hunt for a new seat I had no option to receive new positioners which I chucked and reused the old ones

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife has the same problem. She is about your height.
We have adjustable pedals but even so she tilts the sat a bit forward, to be comfortable. The seats are large and deeply cushioned. Her her knees want to bend before the end of the seat. She uses another cushion behind her too.
Sometime in the past I was told the pedestal could be moved.
We didn't do it. She said she didn't wan to. I would check with the manufacturer first.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The bolt holes and frame support under the floor is designed for just 1 set of bolts(4). usually when you look under the floor above the LF tire you will see NO steel support for moving the seat pedestal forward. You can have some type of steel plate or angle fabricated to move the seat forward, But, as a RV service center, we will not move the seats from the original bolt holes and will not relocate or install ANY seat belts that are not approved by the OEM maker of the RV. It is a liability issue. You can probably find someone who will do that work for you. Just call around. You could also have mobility impaired Throttle and Brake controls added that would give you the ability to do what you want without modifying the seat or extensions on the pedals. Doug

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
As stated look and you probable will be able to move forward. My seat must have been set up for a 6 foot plus, Just had to drill and move the seat a several inches.

bobkatmsu
Explorer
Explorer
I know it's of no help to you but I have the opposite problem, I'm 6'5" and the slide comes right behind the drivers seat and I cannot move it back to a comfortable position. You would think in a 38' motor home I would have enough leg room. Not even close.
2010 Newmar Dutch Star DP
2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
This might be your answer. Check out this link :

Pedal extensions.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Most seats can be relocated, usually just 4 bolts to move. I would contact a local RV service center for an estimate.