cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class A towing

Smitty64
Explorer
Explorer
New to Class A travel and looking for dingy recommendations. I have been looking at Jeep Wrangler, Subaru Forester, and Honda CRV. Looking to tow 4 down
38 REPLIES 38

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Honda Fit or CRV

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
love our wrangler - takes SECONDS to connect....i bought a 6speed manual but the automatics are just as easy to tow....drop the transfer case into neutral & put the trans in park or gear (manual), confirm the emergency/parking brake is off & pull the key / lock the door.

wranglers after 2010 have no steering column lock so there is no need to leave a key in the ignition (to keep the steering wheel unlocked).

Mopar even has a harness that connects to the factory wiring for toad-ing....the mopar harness connects to the factory harness (behind the glove box). The toad-ing harness has a plug that comes out near the grill & mopar includes the cable from the jeep to the coach (7 pin).

I modified their connections a bit - is a personal issue for me.

I found a blue-ox aventa aluminum bar & jeep base plates on craigslist ($250) - two pins & a plug connection (for the lights) and away we go.
Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2013 CRV Honda. It is a great tow vehicle.
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

zekegb
Explorer
Explorer
We have had our 2011 Chevy HHR for almost a year. It has worked out real well. We considered the Honda CRV, but were limited in weight and dollar value on the HHR seemed better. Wife didn't want to spend the money for the Honda.

Easy hook-up with our Roadmaster system and braking system. Flip two switches - fuse switch and turn on brake system. Easy hook-up.

boba
Explorer
Explorer
all of the replies talk about towing 4 down. we went from 4 down towing to dolly towing. there are many more choices with a dolly(almost anything front wheel drive). we changed as needed a small station wagon and the choices for 4 down were few. we have a vw jetta wagon. really like it do not see much difference in hook up time and the gas mileage difference between the traverse and the vw is HUGE

TDInewguy
Explorer
Explorer
2014 VW Passat TDI - 6 speed manual trans is my toad.

Love it. I regularly get over the window sticker MPG - which is 43MPG...

And to tow, put it in neutral, leave the key in, hook it up and go!
SSSStefan

2009 Newmar AllStar 4154
2014 VW Passat TDI - toad!
Featherlite 28' Enclosed car hauler
1966 GTO - super cool car as seen on Driven1

rckmtn
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Vista 35F, blue ox tow bar /plates, and a Patriot braking system. My toad is a 2010 Subaru Forester 5 speed manual. Hook up time is about 5 minutes. I tow the unit and never know it is there except when I look in the rear view camera. One of the easiest tow set ups I have ever used. I also have a Landgrebe tow dolly that I use when I want both my bike and my wifes Honda. It tows extremely well as the wheels turn to follow the MH. The Landgrebe is fantastic when you need a dual purpose dolly but will add length and you have to watch that when fueling.

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO, go with Honda!

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
timmac wrote:
What year of Wrangler is that without steering lock, the reason I ask is my 04 Wrangler has steering lock, maybe the OPer is not looking for a new Wrangler if the new ones no longer lock.

Some time in late 2008 Jeep stopped installing the steering wheel lock in Wranglers. So the answer is anything 2009 and after definitely does not have a steering wheel lock.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
BobGed wrote:
If you're looking at new vehicles I would like to recommend the 2014/15 Jeep Cherokee. I previously towed a 2011 Wrangler and didn't think anything could be any simpler to tow, but the Cherokee is.

Foot on brake pedal, put the ignition in the On/Run position, but do not start the engine. Shift trans into Neutral. Using a ball point pen or similar object, press and hold the recessed Neutral button until it stops blinking. Shift the transmission into Park, turn the engine Off, exit the vehicle and lock the doors.

No fuses to pull since there's no drain on the battery, and you can tow it as fast as you want as there are no manufacturer maximum limits.

I would suspect the Grand Cherokee procedures are the same, but that puts you out of the category of Wrangler and Honda CRV.

We're in the process of switching from the wrangler to the wifes '10 liberty. Procedure to shift to neutral sounds exactly like you posted. My first trial run with it will be tomorrow.
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
If you're looking at new vehicles I would like to recommend the 2014/15 Jeep Cherokee. I previously towed a 2011 Wrangler (which is for sale) and didn't think anything could be any simpler to tow, but the Cherokee is.

Foot on brake pedal, put the ignition in the On/Run position, but do not start the engine. Shift trans into Neutral. Using a ball point pen or similar object, press and hold the recessed Neutral button until it stops blinking. Shift the transmission into Park, turn the engine Off, exit the vehicle and lock the doors.

No fuses to pull since there's no drain on the battery, and you can tow it as fast as you want as there are no manufacturer maximum limits.

I would suspect the Grand Cherokee procedures are the same, but that puts you out of the category of Wrangler and Honda CR-V.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

dvs57
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Honda CRV that we tow as well as a Jeep Wrangler. Both are easy to tow. The Jeep may be slightly simpler. One thing to consider though. Access to the backseat isn't as easy in the Jeep, nor can it carry as much cargo as the CR-V. The Jeep is more fun and it is a true 4WD which comes in handy if you like driving off-road. We love to take it to the beach. However, if you are going to park your RV and drive the tow vehicle a lot or carry passengers, the CR-V is a lot more comfortable. I guess that's why we have both.
Jerry and Deb
2015 Itasca Solei
2017 Jeep Wrangler

Beltone_Magoo
Explorer
Explorer
I vote for the Subaru Forester.
Good luck and safe travels!
Doug & Connie
2001 Holiday Rambler Imperial
2001 Subaru Forester toad

JimM68
Explorer
Explorer
I also removed the steering lock on my TJ.
I did a writeup with pics on irv2, might still be found there
Jim M.
2008 Monaco Knight 40skq, moho #2
The "68"
My very own new forumfirstgens.com

My new blog