cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class B - B+

kemer
Explorer
Explorer
I see some sales categories listing Class B and Class B+. What is the difference? Is a B+ a bit larger/longer?
41 REPLIES 41

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
lfloom wrote:
Personally, I find the B+ designation useful to describe a certain type of rig. For instance, someday I hope to be in the market for a B or a B+, but not a C. There is a differentiation.

But, if people want to call a B+ a C, I am not going to get upset or feel a need to correct anyone. I am not sure why some people are so invested in this topic.

You are missing the point. It's not if people want to call a B+ a Class C, a B+ IS is a Class C. :S
And the reason why it matters is to have people who own 29' Class C's, and other RV's built on a cut-away chassis, that they call "B+'s", post in the correct forum. Members here want to read about Class B's, if they want to read about Class C's they will go to that forum.

I made the suggestion to Adminstration several months ago saying (since there is a B+ Sub Forum in Class C why not add B+ to the Class C's forums title. This would reduce a lot of confusion, and help get the B+ posts in the correct forum.
Well, you all can see how well that suggestion went over. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Monaco_Montclai
Explorer
Explorer
We have a b+, check it out! montclair by Monaco, 29ft. Three slides, drives great. Got a v10, and it's a bit shorter than the class a. Where they are 12/13ft high, we are only 10.8 wow, nice unit, and I can stand up with room to spare.now it's all happy-camping

lfloom
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I find the B+ designation useful to describe a certain type of rig. For instance, someday I hope to be in the market for a B or a B+, but not a C. There is a differentiation.

But, if people want to call a B+ a C, I am not going to get upset or feel a need to correct anyone. I am not sure why some people are so invested in this topic.

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
stan909 wrote:
This may be off topic but why is the sky blue?

It would take way too many inches to explain.

Bud

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
Who really cares what you call it? If it suits your needs then that's the RV for you!
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Escargot wrote:
My Roadtrek wrote:
RIVA does not recognize a B+ as a Type of RV. It is a made up manufactures term for a small Class C.
A Class B started out as a van, after that it doesn't matter what is done to it.

A "Type" of RV is based on what the original chassis is, not what the body was altered to look like.

This is RIVA's definition of a Type/ Class B.
"Commonly called van campers, Type B Motorhomes are built using automotive manufactured van or panel-truck shells"

This is the definition for a Class C.
"Type C Motorhomes are built on an automotive van frame with a wider body section attached to the original cab section." Also called a cut-away chassis.

Some manufactures call their 35' 3 slide Type/Class C a B+. So you see size is irrelevant to these manufactures, they consider anything without a cab over sleeper a B+.

Now I know some of you don't want to accept RIVA's (who sets the standards for the RV industry) definitions, and that's fine as it always seems to get people talking which is what a forum is for.

Ref. RIVA's consumer site

The B Forum needs to have this statement cemented to the top of the forum.
It would save a ton of bandwidth given this conversation / debate recurs every couple of weeks and is beyond tiresome.

I agree, and it would be about time
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
This may be off topic but why is the sky blue?

loving_retireme
Explorer
Explorer
BudJ wrote:
"How many forum inches have been filled up with this ever recurring subject?"

Bud

I don't know the answer to that question about how many forum inches - but it sure is entertaining reading posts from owners with a 25 to 30 foot Class C trying to convince us it is a Class B+ and not a Class C because it does not have a large cabover sleeping area.

Gene_in_NE
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is always a spirited discussion trying to define the differences between a Class A, Class B, and Class C. The mistake most members make is trying to pin the Class definition to the size, amenities, horsepower, gas or diesel or a whole bunch more differences.

When the RVIA created the Classes, I doubt they were thinking of overhead sleeping accommodations, how wide the motorhome might be or whether it has single or dual rear wheels. They saw 3 distinct differences in the method of construction.

The Class A starts motorhome life as a frame with wheels and a drive train.
The Class B starts motorhome life as a complete van ready to drive.
The Class C starts motorhome life similar to the Class A except it has the front portion of the cab mounted on the frame with the back cut off.

Then some motorhome builder decided to build a small Class C, but to be closer in size to the Class B. For marketing purposes, someone decided to call it a Class B+. It still is a Class C because that is the way it left the Ford, Chevy, Dodge or Mercedes factory.
2002 Trail-Lite Model 211-S w/5.7 Chevy (click View Profile)
Gene

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
My Roadtrek wrote:
RIVA does not recognize a B+ as a Type of RV. It is a made up manufactures term for a small Class C.
A Class B started out as a van, after that it doesn't matter what is done to it.

A "Type" of RV is based on what the original chassis is, not what the body was altered to look like.

"Commonly called van campers, Type B Motorhomes are built using automotive manufactured van or panel-truck shells"

"Type C Motorhomes are built on an automotive van frame with a wider body section attached to the original cab section." Also called a cut-away chassis.

Some manufactures call their 35' 3 slide Type/Class C a B+. So you see size is irrelevant to these manufactures, they consider anything without a cab over sleeper a B+.

Now I know some of you don't want to accept RIVA's (who sets the standards for the RV industry) definitions, and that's fine as it always seems to get people talking which is what a forum is for.

The B Forum needs to have this statement cemented to the top of the forum.
It would save a ton of bandwidth given this conversation / debate recurs every couple of weeks and is beyond tiresome.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

My_Roadtrek
Explorer
Explorer
RIVA does not reconize a B+ as a Type of RV. It is a made up manufactures term for a small Class C.

jprt1249
Explorer
Explorer
Wildtoad and Windcrasher65 said it best. I have a van conversion B+. There is no storage/bed compartment over cab. I have the tv and plenty of cabinet space in that area instead. Sometimes I get confused if it's a Class B or Class C.

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
Hey cjscotty, just my 2 inches worth.

Now being serious, what B did you order?

Thanks.

Bud

AsheGuy
Explorer
Explorer
cjscotty wrote:
...we'll be trading in our B+ in a couple weeks for a B (on order).

Welcome to the ranks of Class B owners, I hope you will get as much use and enjoyment from yours as we have from ours.
David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

cjscotty
Explorer
Explorer
BudJ wrote:
cjscotty wrote:
As an owner of a B+, I can tell you they are technically a "form" of a C but very different. Do not let people tell you otherwise, it is very important for consumers. They have changed over the yrs with some being longer but technically they were made for people that wanted something slightly bigger than a regular B, and a little smaller or more streamline, lower in height with better gas mileage than a C. An easy way to tell the difference between a B+ and C is they do not have the large square overhang cab with the bunk. Nexxus is a great site where you can view the difference between their C and B+ as they clearly marked as such. Coachman makes a Prism 24 ft long 2150 (C) and a Prism 24J (B+) same floor plan. The 24J has no overhead bunk, is lower in height, has slightly less outdoor storage. I do not care for regular C's but really like B's and B's. They also get better gas mileage than regular C. Our B+ on a V10 got 12-13 mpg, a similar C same length would get about 8 mpg. The Leisure Travel Serenity, Unity, can be listed as "C's" but are a B+ form of a C. So is the Navion/View without the overhead bunk, Winnebago may call it a C, but many knowledgeable dealers will differentiate to help consumers. You can find some B+'s that are 30 ft long know or they made a few which blurred the lines. Whether people on here who don't even own one want to argue that they are C's, I will always fight this bc they are very different than a regular C for the above reason mentioned and that is important to consumers. Other example of a B+ is the Pleasureway Pursuit. Even tho the Pursuit can be bought with a VERY small bunk overhead as an option, it does not have the large square boxy like overhang cab over the front.

Well, with my 15 inch laptop, that is another 4 inches.

Bud

And this is why it takes up 4 inches and more now bc of responses from people like you. For people like myself this is very important bc I am in the market/interested in B+ and a B. To help with the question of difference between B and B+, we'll be trading in our B+ in a couple weeks for a B (on order). Our new B will be a foot shorter, going from 25 ft to 24 ft, a little lower in height, and more narrow than our B+. We will also have smaller holding tanks. Hopefully the holding tanks won't be an issue, at least it's going to be something we have to get used to. We've been looking at new B+'s and B's for the past year or so.