cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class C I am considering for first purchase - advice?

tmaxx
Explorer
Explorer
I am still looking for my first class c. The one previous I was looking at sold. Tomorrow I am looking at a 2002 Gulfstream Conquest Ultra 30' with two slides and 42k miles. Front tires are from 2005 and rear tires are from 2008. He claims no leaks in the roof.. It's a rubber roof.
The asking price on Craigslist is $22,400. For this unit, does this seem like a fair starting price or does it seem high?
I don't know much about Gulfstream - are they a good manufacturer?
11 REPLIES 11

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
tmaxx wrote:
I am still looking for my first class c. The one previous I was looking at sold. Tomorrow I am looking at a 2002 Gulfstream Conquest Ultra 30' with two slides and 42k miles. Front tires are from 2005 and rear tires are from 2008. He claims no leaks in the roof.. [COLOR=]its a rubber roof
The asking price on Craigslist is $22,400. For this unit, does this seem like a fair starting price or does it seem high?

a 12 year old rubber roof. price in a replacement.
bumpy

Bumpy has a thing for rubber roofs. No replacement is likely to be necessary but do inspect the roof.

As many will say, inspect the unit carefully, the maintenance is often more important the original manufacturer when buying used.

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
If the housebox is in good no-leaks shape and house batteries and converter charger, interior lights, roof AC, dash AC, fridge, microwave, water heater, furnace, awning and RV generator is working properly, and tires are less than five years old per date codes, and engine cooling system, brakes, engine and transmission are OK, the price may be good, a lot depends on what it may need in repairs, upgrades,etc. to make it truly ready for touring and camping. Exterior and interior fading and wear should also be taken into account. Expect appliances to need repairs/replacements as most will need expensive repairs or replacements at about 10 years with normal usage. Any RV is a box truck full of appliances and devices that are subject to failure. If you can have a pro truck mechanic and an RV service check used RV out and give you written estimates for any repairs needed to make a buy or walk away decision. Don't buy on impulse and don't buy an extended warranty. You may do better buying from private party than a dealer. A used RV that has been driven an average of 5000 miles per year, and maintained well may be a bargain. This is nothing like buying an SUV.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever had an RV before? Are you sure you want a Class C? Have you considered renting a Class C to get a better handle on what your needs are?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Definitely do the leak test.

ksg5000 wrote:
Can't advise you on price .. but it only cost about $100 to have the rig pressure tested for leaks .. probably get the owner to fund the expenditure.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Can't advise you on price .. but it only cost about $100 to have the rig pressure tested for leaks .. probably get the owner to fund the expenditure.
Kevin

ronfisherman
Like all used class C's you should do a through inspection for leaks.
As a starting point NADA list low retail at $20,000. With the need for tires maybe a little lower.
My 2004 GS is holding up well at 80,000 miles. Most of the complaints about GS a few years ago was dealers getting paid for warranty work. Which led to no warranty service.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

demoon
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2001 Gulfstream Conquest Classic, 31', single slide. I would take it back in minute. We had it for 11 years and about 50K miles. We did not have one problem with the coach. The only mechanical thing we did was replace the brakes at about 35K. Just follow the suggestions above and if it all checks out, I think you will be happy with the coach.
Oh, and yes, the couple of times we had questions Gulfstream was helpful.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 on the tires; ten year old tires on front are an accident waiting to happen, and 7 year old tires are also due for replacement. They probably would get you home fine, but I would not recommend high speed (interstate/freeway) or long distance travel on them.

I looked at one Gulfstream Ultra when I was shopping around last year. The layout on that one was ideal for what I wanted (and rather unique—it had bunks and a second dinette in the back, rather than a queen bed), but that particular unit had been neglected for some years and had massive water damage throughout. Gulfstream was reasonable quality so far as I know—definitely not bottom of the barrel, nor head and shoulders above the rest, but decent overall. They're not making motorhomes anymore (just trailers), but do appear to have some factory support still for the older products.

$22K might be a fair price if it's in really nice shape and condition and has been well maintained. The old tires do not bode especially well on that front in my mind, though; someone who neglects tires may also neglect roof seam sealing and other such tasks. It's hard saying without looking.

Do check out the manufacturer's weight statement to see how much carrying capacity you have (or, better yet, weigh the actual unit). With two slides and a fairly long house, it could well have little capacity left for water and stuff and people.

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
You Will want to replace the tires and should be a consideration as part of the deal. Check around all the roof vents for signs of water spots and damage. You should go to nada guides.com and get an estimate for low and average retail for the mh. Gulfstream is as good as most. Also try a search on rvt.com and see what others are being advertised for.

X2.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
You Will want to replace the tires and should be a consideration as part of the deal. Check around all the roof vents for signs of water spots and damage. You should go to nada guides.com and get an estimate for low and average retail for the mh. Gulfstream is as good as most. Also try a search on rvt.com and see what others are being advertised for.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
tmaxx wrote:
I am still looking for my first class c. The one previous I was looking at sold. Tomorrow I am looking at a 2002 Gulfstream Conquest Ultra 30' with two slides and 42k miles. Front tires are from 2005 and rear tires are from 2008. He claims no leaks in the roof.. [COLOR=]its a rubber roof

a 12 year old rubber roof. price in a replacement.
bumpy