cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning ceramic tile

Bill_and_Kathi
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a new (to us) coach with ceramic tile flooring. There are three very small places that seem to be sticky and keep attracting dirt. I've only spot cleaned them with water and a soft cloth but within a short amount of time the dirt is back. I don't want to damage the high gloss shine so what can I clean the sticky spots with without damaging the shine? Also what do you use to clean them on a regular basis? Thanks,
Bill, Kathi and Toby (the doxie) - for the "pitter patter" of little feet.

Love the "Sound of the South" at Troy University
11 REPLIES 11

Bill_and_Kathi
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses. We've used ceramic tile in houses for years but never the high gloss kind. Just wanted to be safe. We appreciate you taking the time to post.
Bill and Kathi
Bill, Kathi and Toby (the doxie) - for the "pitter patter" of little feet.

Love the "Sound of the South" at Troy University

alid
Explorer
Explorer
lbligh wrote:
Bill and Kathi wrote:
Just purchased a new (to us) coach with ceramic tile flooring. There are three very small places that seem to be sticky and keep attracting dirt. I've only spot cleaned them with water and a soft cloth but within a short amount of time the dirt is back. I don't want to damage the high gloss shine so what can I clean the sticky spots with without damaging the shine? Also what do you use to clean them on a regular basis? Thanks,

Have ceramic tile floors in our coach as well as throughout our home. The best cleaning solution we have ever found came directly from our tile installer and that was vinegar and water. The ratio for floor cleaning is one cup vinegar to one gallon of water.

Safe travels.

X2
2009 Winnebago Adventure 32h
2006 Terry Quantum 330FKDS (beach getaway)
2003 Aprilia Atlantic 500
2007 Honda Reflex
2 house rabbits "George and MiMi"

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
Goo-gone.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Any cleaner is safe to use on any tile except high acid or hydrogen peroxide commercial cleaners which can eat into the grout.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
You can try about anything you like, but I wouldn't use a scouring powder, it may scratch the surface of the tile. chemicals won't, it is a rock after all.:)
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
If it's true ceramic tile, it's some pretty tough stuff. If none of the cleaning products work, get a steam cleaner to get it off. But I'll bet the WD40 or Goof Off mentioned above will get the job done.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

Trumpet_Player
Explorer
Explorer
Bill and Kathi wrote:

Have ceramic tile floors in our coach as well as throughout our home. The best cleaning solution we have ever found came directly from our tile installer and that was vinegar and water. The ratio for floor cleaning is one cup vinegar to one gallon of water.

Safe travels.
2012 American Coach Revolution

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Try Mr Clean Magic Eraser and / or Dawn Dishwasher Liquid.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
I'll bet the sticky spots are where someone had a walkway runner stuck down. Nothing other than a hammer will harm the tile, I'd try a little acetone on a soft rag, should remove the sticky.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

dons2346
Explorer
Explorer
WD 40 or Goof Off

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I would try Simple Green to see if that works. I use it on tar spots on my car and they come off very easily.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins