cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Condensation in RV compared to Travel Trailer

ElementZero
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Keystone Passport 3390bh. We saw a Thor Outlaw and are very interested (although mostly in last years 37MD). We keep it about 72 in our trailer.

One question we have is that with our trailer, we have been in cold temperatures - down to 26F. We had a ceramic heater running which kept us all warm inside though. Unfortunately the frame is aluminum ad everywhere there was a "stud" it would be dripping wet.

During the summer (and this currently warm winter) when its >75 outside we get moisture literally dripping from the vents.

Now, I'm not asking how to fix the trailer (various tricks and dehumidifiers), rather I'm asking whether a Class A RV has these same issues. They would seemingly be caused due to the extremely small amount of insulation and basically I'm asking if Class A's have way more insulation to where the condensation problem is not an issue.

If anybody knows or especially if you have first hand experience with a Thor Outlaw, I would appreciate it.
----------------
(TV) 2014 Nissan NV3500 SL
(TT) 2015 Keystone 3290BH
Been fulltiming sine June 1st, 2015.
EvenThePets.com
18 REPLIES 18

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I live in the south and keep a dehumidifier in my house all of the time. So far I have not been willing the find a place for one in my motorhome and the AC units do a pretty good job of controlling humidity in the summer. When winter camping I leave the roof vent in the bathroom cracked to let moist air out. Even then the windshield is generally very wet in the mornings as it is the only single pane glass in the rig. In moderate temps but wet weather I have resorted to running both the AC and the furnace at times. I may have to check into the Ivation dehumidifier.

At least the MH is much better than my old truck camper that had condensate dripping from the ceiling in near freezing weather. It is hard to sleep with a cold drip coming down on you. I have noticed that on cool mornings with a heavy dew I can see the framework pattern on the outside of the MH as dry spots surrounding the better insulated and wetter spots.

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
We just bought an Ivation table top dehumidifier and are using it in Southern LA for the 1st time this trip. So for so good and I recommend it. It is keeping the humidity at a reasonable level in the TT.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
People, cooking and most heating sources produce water as a by-product. Combine that with a very small space, little air movement or exchange and temperature differences and you get condensation build up. Your choices are a de-humidifier of some sort or run a vent. A well insulated coach does help but without air exchange the moisture has nowhere to go.
2013 ACE 29.2

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
A travel trailer is an RV
HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

Fla_Tom1
Explorer
Explorer
FormerBoater wrote:
Live and spend most of our time aboard either in S. Florida or the Southeast during the summer months.

No condensation issues in summer. Winter or cold weather use has been minimal (Tallahassee in the winter time) so I cannot really help there.

Key IMHO is a well insulated unit and the Eagle is one of those.
I am in the tallahasse area also I agree seals and insulation play a big part of comdinsation. We have owned 2 Winnebago coaches one tiffin and now an Entegra. Never had an issue with condensation with Winnebago motor homes or the Entegra.

FormerBoater
Explorer
Explorer
Live and spend most of our time aboard either in S. Florida or the Southeast during the summer months.

No condensation issues in summer. Winter or cold weather use has been minimal (Tallahassee in the winter time) so I cannot really help there.

Key IMHO is a well insulated unit and the Eagle is one of those.
Dave
1998 American Eagle 40EVS

George_Beggs
Explorer
Explorer
We use to have a problem with humidity. Then I bought the best thing ever for the motorhome; a dehumidifier. This will make you more comfortable in hot or cold weather. 🙂
George & Linda
2007 Bounder 35E
Ford V10

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I have a class A Bounder with dual pane windows and also have a similar Olympic Catalytic Safety heater, and it will put out a lot of moisture to the air when dry camping with it on.

The solution to the moisture is more fresh air in and let it out the roof vents. The outside air - while humid is also cold. Cold air can not hold much moisture, so the 'grains per cubic foot' is really low. Bring in even 100% humid 40F air with only a few grains per cubic foot and warm it to 70F, it will become 22% RH air, and soak up a lot of moisture.

I never had condensation on my sidewalls like you are having, but yes I do have steel framed walls, with joints every 36" to 48" along the sidewalls. We do not have 'dripping' high humidity out west. Yes the windshield (my only single pane window) will get really wet, as it is as cold as the outside air, and like a beer can, will condense a lot of moisture on it. I just used a towel to pick up the excess moisture.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:
If you look at Class As you will find that Newmar lists the R value of insulation in their brochures. A couple others may list their insulation R values. The entry level MHs will be more susceptible to your problem. Newmar also has the quietest AC system I have ever had in my 46 years of RVing.

no more quieter than my ducted tiffin air system.my unit has 9 ceiling intakes and 9 outlets my friend has a 2014 Dutch Star and his noise level is same as mine

regarding Rv moisture its a different deal when talking a high to extreme humidity in hot south florida verses a -10 degree is south Dakoda and the warmer( in winter) u keep the inside verses the outside the more moisture u will get and LPG verses other methods makes a big difference also

Dale_Traveling
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winter time we get windshield and single pane windows condensate but nothing on the walls, floors or ceiling. I've had some condensation on my AC vents during summer outings but not to the point of dripping.

Winter time more people in the coach more moisture. You lose water thru exhaled breath, showering without an exhaust vent and cooking without the range vent on all contribute to the winter humidity. Hate the idea of opening a vent when it's 30 degrees outside. The warm humid air getting pushed out is being replaced with cold dry air getting pulled in thru anywhere it can. Summer time most of the moisture enters thru the door when entering or leaving the coach. Various air leaks contribute also. Best way to control is a dehumidifier in the shower draining into the gray tank.

Six kids, two adults, a dog and a cat is a lot of in/outs, bathing, cooking plus breathing. If you said there's a morning fog in your coach I wouldn't be surprised.
2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
If you look at Class As you will find that Newmar lists the R value of insulation in their brochures. A couple others may list their insulation R values. The entry level MHs will be more susceptible to your problem. Newmar also has the quietest AC system I have ever had in my 46 years of RVing.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
ElementZero wrote:
Tinstar wrote:
"when its >75 outside we get moisture literally dripping from the vents."

What vents? Are you talking about the a/c, roof vents, window vents?

Sorry, A/C vents, the air vents are fine.

And yes I blame the humidity on Florida. The cold weather was up in West Virginia in mid-November.

Again I'm not so much looking for a fix or even specifically what is causing the issue as much as I am just wondering if a Class A RV (specifically a Thor Outlaw if possible) has the same issues.

Thanks for all the input so far!! 🙂

yes it will as I said earlier some units seem worse than others
I think its all to do with circulation when having problems to some degree

ElementZero
Explorer
Explorer
Tinstar wrote:
"when its >75 outside we get moisture literally dripping from the vents."

What vents? Are you talking about the a/c, roof vents, window vents?

Sorry, A/C vents, the air vents are fine.

And yes I blame the humidity on Florida. The cold weather was up in West Virginia in mid-November.

Again I'm not so much looking for a fix or even specifically what is causing the issue as much as I am just wondering if a Class A RV (specifically a Thor Outlaw if possible) has the same issues.

Thanks for all the input so far!! 🙂
----------------
(TV) 2014 Nissan NV3500 SL
(TT) 2015 Keystone 3290BH
Been fulltiming sine June 1st, 2015.
EvenThePets.com

donfrump
Explorer
Explorer
bluwtr49 wrote:
I have never had any condensation in either of our two MH's but, like you, had that issue in our Cougar TT.

Our heat is supplied by a hydronic system in both so that may or may not be a factor. I do know the insulation in the MH's were far superior to the TT.

you lived in southern florida ?? this guys not talking any heater at 75 degrees however yes a hydro hot system will be far far less condensation than any LPG fired furnace or space heater for sure
I have found up north anyone that lives in a RV and uses LPG heat especially and its cold like below zero you will get condensation
and keeping it at 72 verses say 68 it gets even worse