Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considering a Diesel Pusher - Floorplan Question

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

My family is considering making a move to a Diesel Pusher. I have noticed in the short amount of time I have searched,for obvious reasons, diesel pushers seem to be more oriented to a 2 person setup. This can be seen in the form of a 2 person dining table instead of a dinette, crummy secondary sleeping options, etc.

Being that I am in my Mid 30s, with a 3.5 year old and another kiddo on the way, plus I like to do "dude" trips with some of my buddies. Sleeping arrangements are important to me.

Ideally I would like something around 35' (shorter the better but I realize in diesel pusher land this is kind of an oxymoron), with a sofa, dinette sleeper and bunk-beds if possible. I have seen many class A bunkhouses but they seem to all be gassers.

Anyone know of any models of diesel pushers that satisfy most of my above criteria? Thanks for the recommendations...
Chris (KD7WZW)
2003 Tiffin Allegro Bus M-32IP
26 REPLIES 26

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I'd love a MH because we travel more than we camp. But, I have 3 kids and I want something with at least 3, if not 4 bunk beds. This pretty much doesn't exist in a MH format. Therefore, I'm going to be going with a trailer, either a TT or FW, I don't know which.
You say you've seen "lots" of MH bunkhouse models? With 2 bunks or more? What were they, if you don't mind?

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Your observation is correct. Diesel Pushers have their advantages. But they are often built for 2. There are a few family friendly models, but those are more kid friendly than adult/dude friendly.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

NCC-1701
Explorer
Explorer
It's a little hard to give options when we don't know if you're looking new or used and perhaps a budget to help narrow it down.

Mine has a King bed, a very large sofa sleeper that could easily sleep two adults, plus a dinette that could sleep a shorter adult, especially if they slept diagonally on it. In addition, with opposing slides in front, it opens up so much that one or two people could put air mattresses down on the floor between the dinette and the kitchen counter, if needed. We also have two recliners that could be laid back and slept in. It would be a "full house" but my unit could sleep quite a few people, if needed.
"Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning." Captain Kirk in Star Trek VI 'The Undiscovered Country'

2007 39K Winnebago Journey "The Enterprise"
Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
My coach has a full queen in the bedroom, queen sleeper sofa, queen electric drop down and booth that makes into a bed. We some times take 3 grandkids and they each have a bed.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hey, dude, let’s trip!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
What advantage are you hoping to gain by going to a DP? They are not necessarily better than any other RV and in some cases they really are no advantage at all. Better fuel mileage when diesel costs 0.60/gallon more is not really an advantage!

I'm open to considering a gasser... My main motivation was, quieter (because engine in the back), sometimes smoother ride and torque for climbing the hills, especially since I live in the western part of the USA.
Chris (KD7WZW)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
What advantage are you hoping to gain by going to a DP? They are not necessarily better than any other RV and in some cases they really are no advantage at all. Better fuel mileage when diesel costs 0.60/gallon more is not really an advantage!
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ACDNate
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at a few bunk house models at an rv show recently. Bunks seem to accomadate up to around 5'10" max. Dual couch models with fold out beds seem to be somewhat common. Also saw a few Tiffin models with a full size drip down bed over the cockpit. Believe those were gassers though

Biggyniner
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
bunk beds and dude trips

maybe start looking at 'band buses' they have bunk beds for adults

Well primarily it will be for the family...
Chris (KD7WZW)

MrWizard
bunk beds and dude trips

maybe start looking at 'band buses' they have bunk beds for adults
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, bunkhouse models are based on kids in the bunks, so the "dude trips" would be a problem. Dude trips do lend themselves to tents though.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I just did a quick Google and this came out. I'm sure there are more. Keep in mind that many bunks would be too short for an adult and the same goes for converting a dinette into a bed. Good luck!

https://www.generalrv.com/product/motor-home-class-a-diesel/bunkhouse?page=2
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel