cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cost for repairs seems excessive?

darin338
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a new motorhome and I think the service tech is scamming me. I complained as I dropped it off two weeks ago and for ten straight days I kept hearing "we'll call you tomorrow" and they never did once. I knew I needed new front end coils, but I asked them to check things out since I just purchased the unit.

I needed new springs in the front end. I opted for steer safe cost for install $788.
The front AC only blew out the defrost needed a small $3.00 hose to connect. Plus labor $244.
They found a small coolant leak somewhere near the top of the engine, said they had to pressurize the system to locate leak that was just a clamp. $196 for labor.
New wipers $183
Main engine belt was old $348 to replace.
$350 labor to inspect and find above problems.

Total for basically minor repairs. $1913 plus tax!

This was done at camping world. I feel ripped off!

Moderators Note;
I am suspending this thread until I get some verification as to the year make and model and where purchased... Based on your previous posts and threads you have purchased a used motorhome not from where you had the service you are concerned with.

You may well have some issues with the service but there is a need to put this service into context... So PM me with the Particulars

JohnnyT Moderator
15 REPLIES 15

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
which "belt" was that in the engine. some are awfully hard $$$ and time consuming to replace.
bumpy

dezolen
Explorer
Explorer
Next time try the 28" wiper blades which can be installed in 2 minutes plus perhaps $10 per blade. Many motorhome owners switch to the 28" blades as opposed to the hard to find larger ones

super_camper
Explorer
Explorer
darin338 wrote:
Bought a new motorhome and I think the service tech is scamming me. I complained as I dropped it off two weeks ago and for ten straight days I kept hearing "we'll call you tomorrow" and they never did once. I knew I needed new front end coils, but I asked them to check things out since I just purchased the unit.

I needed new springs in the front end. I opted for steer safe cost for install $788.
The front AC only blew out the defrost needed a small $3.00 hose to connect. Plus labor $244.
They found a small coolant leak somewhere near the top of the engine, said they had to pressurize the system to locate leak that was just a clamp. $196 for labor.
New wipers $183
Main engine belt was old $348 to replace.
$350 labor to inspect and find above problems.

Total for basically minor repairs. $1913 plus tax!

This was done at camping world. I feel ripped off!

How much did you get written into the work order? Did you ask for estimates or just list the work to be done? As you "opted" for steer safe you must have had some contact while the work was underway. Did you know what the shop labor rates were before starting?

My guess is they are simply billing the shop labor rate X hours the tech worked on it, whether or not the tech was qualified or had any experience. I would bet the shop rate is something like $110 or more.

I would ask for a detailed breakdown of the parts and labor to find out exactly how many hours were actually spent on each job. You can more easily argue excessive effort than just beat them up on price.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
$183.bucks for wiper blades,, gold lined I assume?

univmd
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the price for the wipers & belt, it seems they took advantage of you. We replaced our own recently, wipers were about $60 each and so was the belt. Alas our local Freightliner service probably would have charged as much or more than camping world. Do not feel ashamed. We've been overcharged too. But sometimes we have no other choice, or simply have to learn from it and move on. You are not alone.
2008 Gulfstream Tourmaster
2011 Honda CRV
Blue Ox Baseplate & Socket Wiring
Blue Ox Alladin Tow Bar
US Gear Unified Tow Brake

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I can comment on the windshield wiper blades. I had a new set installed by a Chevrolet Tech at the Chevrolet Dealer in Corning, California this past March and my total cost was $18.50 out the door.

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
I hope you paid with a credit card...cause if you did...get on the horm to them and dispute the charges
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

darin338
Explorer
Explorer
So the plot thickens more. I just got a call from the tech. He said we got one side stripped down and went to put the A Arm down on the spring off the jack and the spring wouldn't budge. The spring is too heavy, we can put them in for you, but the ride will be really rough with no cushion at all! I asked what size spring did you put in there? He went and checked and said 6500 pound springs! I said what the hell ya doing its a p30 chassis not a semi truck, it calls for a 4500 pound springs. He acted like it was my fault! ??! So I'm currently driving 1100 miles to pick up my motorhome from these clowns and he tells me it will be a week to get the right springs in!

So now my only option is to go with airbags. These guys better fix the price gouging and delay and screwup a upon my arrival or I'm taking them to court!

What a mess! I hope they didn't drop my rig or mess it up worse!

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
rgatijnet1 wrote:
I would guess that this is what happens when you have a trainee working on your coach and you are charged for an experienced mechanic. You are being charged for the time it took him to learn the things he should have already known.
$348 to change a single engine belt is way too high. $244 to replace a small rubber vacuum hose is way too high.
Did they call you and go over the items, and cost, prior to doing the work?
Did you just give them a blank check?
As far as asking Marcus for assistance, good luck. From my recent experience, he will not answer your questions or address your concerns. He apparently has an assistant, Kat Robinson, who will offer apologies, but will be no help at all.

I agree with the above poster
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Start using www.rvservicereviews.com.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

darin338
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'll have to have a chat with them when I go pick it up. Total BS. These guys are totally up to no good. You would not believe the stuff some of their reps say on the phone. I don't trust them. I'm an ole LE investigator and have a six sense for fast talking BS. Each time I asked about a specific repair issue I got double talk or answers not directly related to my question.

cpmath
Explorer
Explorer
You say you bought a NEW motorhome and you still paid for repairs?

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
Yup...as the saying goes: "You can get better!...but you can't pay more!"

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer ๐Ÿ˜ž
3 Maine Coon cats

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would guess that this is what happens when you have a trainee working on your coach and you are charged for an experienced mechanic. You are being charged for the time it took him to learn the things he should have already known.
$348 to change a single engine belt is way too high. $244 to replace a small rubber vacuum hose is way too high.
Did they call you and go over the items, and cost, prior to doing the work?
Did you just give them a blank check?
As far as asking Marcus for assistance, good luck. From my recent experience, he will not answer your questions or address your concerns. He apparently has an assistant, Kat Robinson, who will offer apologies, but will be no help at all.