cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Counteracting bioDiesel

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well, we bought dieselacuple months ago at Flyin J in Kingmaan,Az.Did not see agreen biodissel sign at the time but it is there noww.
So we have at least half a tank of B20.
Our older coach doe not like Bio Diesel and CAT Rep at a rally in 2007 told everyone to avoid it like the plague.

I have been looking on the Internet and find nothing to add to the tank to counter act the effects of on the seals and o rings, hoses, and gaskets of our05 CAT.
Is there any additive available?
12 REPLIES 12

Garry_Gayle
Explorer
Explorer
There nothing wrong with running Bio Diesel, its not going to hurt a thing.
I have a 1982 Kubota tractor that I bought used in 1982 that had 700 hrs. on it, This tractor has every type of diesel ran thru it, #2, #1, Red off road diesel. I have ran B20 and am now running Propel Fuels HPR in it with zero issues. I have had no seal or hose leaks, tractor now has 1350 hrs. on it. My son had a 2003 6.0 diesel and he used B20 and HPR with zero issues. Does anybody really have issues with Bio that they can actually prove was caused by Bio other that plugged fuel filters due to the cleaning up of your system.

oldave
Explorer
Explorer
Seems like a perfect excuse to go somewhere :W

Ya gotta get that stuff out :B

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
One tankful of B20 won’t hurt a thing unless maybe you store the rig with it in there for a year or so.

I’ve used it off and on in three different diesels in blends up to 100% without issues save for a leaking fuel pump at around 130,000 miles, but that was after having to run petroleum diesel for 20,000 miles.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
It is a serious violation of AZ law to dispense bio-diesel above 5% without required notification on the pump alerting all users of the Bio-diesel and percentage of the content. AZWM is notorious for shutting station pumps down who violate this rule.

So, it is most likely that if there was no signs and decals at and on the pump at the time you filled your vehicle, the fuel you pumped was just diesel. I also seriously doubts a major chain would knowingly violate the law especially when it's a bugga-boo for state inspectors.

Could you have pumped diesel and sometime afterwards they got a shipment of bio-diesel above 5% and that was why there are bio-diesel signs now posted? Last year there was station near me that sold 110 racing fuel at a special pump, but one day they changed it to E-85R fuel; I guess all those racers who bought the fuel weeks ago were actually using E-85R and not 110 fuel because the sign now says E-85R!
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:
jorbill2or wrote:
I have run up to b20 many times in my 03 c12 ( actually manufactured in 02 ) over the last 50,0000 miles with no issues. When I looked some years ago cat authorized up to b20 in their engines. I think you may have received some inaccurate info. Like others have said just drive it and top it off and you’ll dilute it. You can get up to 5 % bio at the pump with no notice whatsoever, so you have already been running a small bio % without knowing it.

@007 on mfgs made changes in to better accmodate ULSD and the same year or next to rubber seals and componets for bio diesel.
Biodiesel is like cookign oil and swells the old rubber formulas and rots them too.

I found this in my notes without looking too deeply , From the Caterpillar Engine Maintenance Handout:
Cat and Cummins have differing stds .. I believe the seals were changed much earlier .. late 90’s or very early 2000’s ?
Biodiesel

– Use ASTM D6751 or DIN 51606 specification

• Limited storage life

• Less BTU content (5 – 7%) than regular diesel

• Allowable Blend

– Up to 30% for engines built prior to 1/1/2007. <<<< THIS !

– Engines built on or after 1/1/2007:

» Up to 5% for C7 and C9

» Up to 20% for C13 and C15
Bill

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
down home wrote:

Biodiesel is like cookign oil and swells the old rubber formulas and rots them too.
In one tankful?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Run it through. Then change your fuel filter.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Don’t sweat it. Mercedes-Benz recommends only B5 in ours to maintain the warranty but then, because in many states only B20 is available, they released a document saying to change the oil more frequently if you must use above B5. As others suggested, keep topping off with USLD or B5 and you’ll be fine.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
jorbill2or wrote:
I have run up to b20 many times in my 03 c12 ( actually manufactured in 02 ) over the last 50,0000 miles with no issues. When I looked some years ago cat authorized up to b20 in their engines. I think you may have received some inaccurate info. Like others have said just drive it and top it off and you’ll dilute it. You can get up to 5 % bio at the pump with no notice whatsoever, so you have already been running a small bio % without knowing it.

@007 on mfgs made changes in to better accmodate ULSD and the same year or next to rubber seals and componets for bio diesel.

jorbill2or
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bill

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Put non bio diesel on top of it every chance you get and drive on.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If this one dose is a big concern I'd probably drain it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman