cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Couple of questions...

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
I have a new (2017) Class C, Thor Freedom Elite 29FE on a Ford Chassis. My first question is this: At speeds of 30 to 50, there's a bumping sensation that feels like a tire out of balance. Is it possible for an out of balance tire to give that feeling only at certain speeds? If not, what could be causing the problem? Question 2: This new Class C has the notorious steering 'wander' that has to be corrected. My first attempt at resolving the problem will be to have the front-end aligned. I've read on this forum that there's a particular (is it?) camber that should be set at certain numbers. Is that correct and, if so, what should I discuss with the person doing the alignment (numbers)? Last Question: Actually, this is a continuation of #2. I know many people have added a number of things to their coaches to correct steering problems such as Steer Safe, front and rear stabilizer bars (believe that's correct terminology). I'm willing to do all of the above if it will show positive results. Please give me feed back regarding your opinions (advice) on these issues. Many thanks!
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake
21 REPLIES 21

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
goufgators wrote:
I have a new (2017) Class C, Thor Freedom Elite 29FE on a Ford Chassis. My

New is the operative word - First "Get the Selling Dealer to FIX IT"

first question is this: At speeds of 30 to 50, there's a bumping sensation that feels like a tire out of balance.

If the tire is out of balance it should not self correct at speed - have you driven the truck yet? Might self correct with a long drive, if not see first Quote "Get the Selling Dealer to FIX IT" might Just be a flat spot from sitting for 12+ months - JMHO

Is it possible for an out of balance tire to give that feeling only at certain speeds? If not, what could be causing the problem?

Continuation of #1 - Check for bent rim - not likely as it self corrects. - "Get the Selling Dealer to FIX IT"

Question 2: This new Class C has the notorious steering 'wander' that has to be corrected.

"Get the Selling Dealer to FIX IT" Sorry to be repetitive but the dealer needs to sell it so it is road worthy.

My first attempt at resolving the problem will be to have the front-end aligned.

Do not listen to advice on the forum - take it to a Reputable Truck shop and have them do the work test drive after the work is done if not right have them do it again, or take to a better shop. Once again "Get the Selling Dealer to FIX IT"

I've read on this forum that there's a particular (is it?) camber that should be set at certain numbers. Is that correct and, if so, what should I discuss with the person doing the alignment (numbers)?

If you are in a shop that is in need of recommendation from this forum - You are in the Wrong Shop - JMHO

Last Question: Actually, this is a continuation of #2. I know many people have added a number of things to their coaches to correct steering problems such as Steer Safe, front and rear stabilizer bars (believe that's correct terminology).

If you need to change the front end of a truck to make it drive correctly then you have a Problem - JMHO. "Get the Selling Dealer to FIX IT"

I'm willing to do all of the above if it will show positive results.

You should have to do Nothing but take it back to the Dealer or Call Ford Customer service and have them correct the issues. "Get the Selling Dealer to FIX IT"

Please give me feed back regarding your opinions (advice) on these issues. Many thanks!

More than likely this was not the advice you were looking for but IMHO - "Get the Selling Dealer to FIX IT"

Best of Luck, let us know how it goes.
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

fivejackie
Explorer
Explorer
Drive shaft out of balance. I once had this problem, it felt like a tire was out of round. Ford service replaced the drive shaft and that corrected the problem.

Take it to Ford and hear what they say.
Don and Jackie
2115 Hurricane 27K
2113 Redhawk
1992 Pace Arrow

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
An out of balance tire/wheel certainly will have varying amounts of vibration at various speeds; it will be worse at the resonant frequency or frequencies of the suspension system. A slightly out-of-balance tire on my car will be smooth at 50 mph, cause noticeable vibrations between around 60-65 mph, and be smooth again at around 75 mph or so. Obviously the exact speeds vary between different vehicles.

It's also possible on a motorhome especially for the drive shaft to be out of balance, which causes vibrations at different speeds than tires would.

The front-end alignment spec of importance here is caster, which you want to be at the upper end of the allowable range (maybe four degrees or so). Having properly inflated tires for the weight and making sure there is sufficient weight on the front axle are quite important, too.

You would likely have gotten more in depth and perhaps quicker answers by posting in the class C forum. There are some quite knowledgeable people there, and they may not all look in this forum.

goufgators
Explorer
Explorer
WAFlowers wrote:
You posted questions about your Class C in the Class A forum.

I know.
2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
For the steering 'wandering' issue, first check your tire pressures. If the front tires are aired up to the max sidewall pressure of 80 psi, it will give bad handling, wandering problems as well as a very rough ride.
If you don't have the actual weights, go by the MH manufacturers recommendation on the label, possibly on the drivers door or inside a cupboard door. The label on our 29' c class does correspond with the Michelin charts according to the scaled weight. Ours recommends 65 psi for the fronts. (and 80 for rears). Correct tire pressure per weight, made a world of difference in handling.
No cost to try.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

WAFlowers
Explorer
Explorer
You posted questions about your Class C in the Class A forum.
Bill and Willemina Flowers
George, Sammy and Teddy (the dogpack)
2008 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2005 Keystone Monata 3400rl (5/21/11 to 9/9/17)
(Was in a 2000 Coachmen Catalina Sport 220RK)