cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Covered versus Outside Storage Cost

bkbodiford
Explorer
Explorer
We're fairly new to RV'ing and have been comparing storage lots in our area as our neighborhood doesn't allow for RV/boat storage. Any suggestions on what premium we should expect to pay for a covered storage lot when compared to an outside storage lot? Also, is the additional premium worth the supposed reduction in cleaning costs, roof maintenance, etc?
27 REPLIES 27

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
The only time that I would do inside storage is when leaving my RV in the Southwest during the summer. And, if leaving your RV in a outside storage make sure you keep insurance on it in case it gets hit or damaged.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
My girlfriend just got a brand new 14x40 enclosed unit for $240 a month. She paid a year up front so he gave a month for free so it ended up being $220 a month. It is Northeast of Columbus, Ohio. She has a 25ft Class C.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

dakarider
Explorer
Explorer
I'm paying $60/mo for general uncovered lot south of Denver area. They got everyone crammed in there too. Looked at covered that was about $135/mo, but bought a cover for it for the winter. Bad thing about those covers is they wear out and get holes fairly easily.
I will say I saw a 20 yr old Winnie that had been kept in a garage most the time and it still looked like was 1 year old (the paint). Whereas some that I see kept outside are completely faded out and look very weathered after 10 years.

Five2o
Explorer
Explorer
I full time...motor home is exposed to the elements all the time. I take care of my coach so the elements are no biggi. Fiberglass roof should last indefinitely just like boat hulls.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
We store our non-traveling RV down in southern Texas over the summer months(then use it over the winter.) Outside storage is $25/month, covered is $80/month. For me it's worth the extra money. A roof leak can do a lot of damage if not spotted for a few months.

As a sidebar, that non-traveling RV is disposable in our mind. It has been under cover since new (prior owner,) and is a well cared for 1997 RV. Friends store their much newer (and $$$) rigs outside during those same months to save money. Thiers's look much older then ours when it comes to that appearance rating.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

Dachristianman
Explorer
Explorer
I store outside for $180 per year, and then I keep a high-quality cover on it. I agree that the sun is harder on the rig than rain....until/if you get a leak.

The covers are good, but it comes with the cost of having to climb up on the rig every time you want to cover or uncover it. That becomes a pain, but life is all about tradeoffs.

JimHB
Explorer
Explorer
Picking up our new Tiffin 32SA (34' long) in a couple weeks. We found an enclosed storage 14'x45' in north Houston, for $250 per month. Had a 10'x15' storage unit, I think it was $85 per month, so were able to move all that stuff over to the back of the new unit and cancel it, so that helped on our net cost.
For us, being at least covered was important when the RV is here in Houston, to keep it out of the sun, gets very hot here. The advantage of enclosed over covered is mainly security - especially for a new coach.

Jim B
Jim & Kathy
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32SA
2015 Ford C-Max Energi Hybrid
Blue Ox Baseplate & Alpha Tow Bar w/ AutoStop Brake

goldenagecomics
Explorer
Explorer
bkbodiford wrote:
We're fairly new to RV'ing and have been comparing storage lots in our area as our neighborhood doesn't allow for RV/boat storage. Any suggestions on what premium we should expect to pay for a covered storage lot when compared to an outside storage lot? Also, is the additional premium worth the supposed reduction in cleaning costs, roof maintenance, etc?

I store my 40 foot class A in an indoor heated facility about 100 miles north of Atlanta. The cost is about $250 per month.

rdmike
Explorer
Explorer
15 X 50 enclosed with power and electric door in Spokane for 265 a month.
Fleetwood Providence 39L
Ford Fiesta Toad
Retired, spending our winters in Thailand / spring - fall traveling the great USA

Dance_Chick
Explorer
Explorer
Our community has a gated RV/boat storage lot with both uncovered ($60.00) and covered ($145.00). We rent the covered and also have electric hookup, which is metered separately - around $30.00 mo. It's very convenient being in the subdivision.
Gene, Gayle, & Oliver (the dog)
2006 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40 PDQ/2012 Honda CRV toad
Blue Ox tow bar & base plate/Air Force One braking

Leland2
Explorer II
Explorer II
Priced indoor storage today at Mission Viejo, South of Irvine, for $460/mo. That's for a 35' MH. There's a 7 person waiting list. Think she said outside waiting list is 70 -- but that can't be right.

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
We have our B+ stored for $125/month inside a temperature controlled storage facility. We're approx 23' long, when we switched our Phaeton for it's spot for our 3 month Alaska trip in 2013, the cost was about $75 a month more. The place is booked up this winter after doubling the inside storage to 100,000 sq/ft since last spring.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Makes no difference what it costs...it's worth it.
2014 American Eagle

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
Two Jayhawks wrote:
OP wrote:
Also, is the additional premium worth the supposed reduction in cleaning costs, roof maintenance, etc?

In my book covered storage is absolutely worth the up charge. It's not just about keeping the rain off the RV. Our neck of the woods the son does a job on the RV as well.

well Id tell that son of yours a thing or two
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar